Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does any one know what American Roaming is?

Feedback Score

Arn

ARN does offer free access to Directory assistance and virtual PINs that do not expire for a year for as little as $10. The service can be reached from virtually any old CDMA phone if you reprogram it with a invalid MIN. Usually you can accomplish the same thing by switching the phone to the second NAN that has not been programmed. I keep an old phone and VPA in my emergency road kit and it only cost $10 per year to keep it active. I programmed one of the speed dial locations to dial the PIN number for me.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    Think there were also a few GSM/Analog hybrid phones made, but don't think they make those any more.
    I own one of the "surfboard" analog attachments for the Nokia 6190/5190 GSM phones. About as useless as teats on a boar hog. At $10, I think the ARN virtual PIN might be handy for a GSM customer taking off on a cross-country trip. Murphy's Law says if you break down, it will be in an area where you have no coverage. Having some backup will reduce the number of places where Murphy can work his mojo.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    On the $2+/minute for ARN collect calling, my Iridium satphone can call to or from anywhere on the planet for less than that...
    Right-O. When I had an active Iridium account, I would make the same sort of comments about international roaming above $1.50/min. When Iridium raised their monthly rates and the ships I worked on got VOIP phone service, I decided that for me it was more of an expensive toy than a practical tool. I certainly wish that there was a way to roam on Iridium but that does not seem to be in the cards.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I am using American Roaming on tracfone Verizon in the Creede, CO - Lake City, Co. works fine for outbound calls. $15 for 120 min. That is 12.5 cents per minute. My tracfone cost are so low that it's easy to justify the expense, & my wife loves the daily contact , even in the mountains of Colorado . Priceless !

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    I am using American Roaming on tracfone Verizon in the Creede, CO - Lake City, Co. works fine for outbound calls. $15 for 120 min. ....
    Commnet Wireless. Most carriers roam Commnet but if you're happy doing it your way, that's fine with me.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    That is a good observation: American Roaming network apparently connects calls on Commnet Wireless. That probably means they will connect calls on many other CDMA operators too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2