Thread: Thinking About Getting A Rumor Touch. Have A Few Questions

Device(s)
    Past Phones: c332, a680, a950, sidekick 2&LX, 9900
    Feedback Score

Thinking About Getting A Rumor Touch. Have A Few Questions

Hey guys, I have been thinking about going the prepaid route for awhile. I'm currently using a Droid under a Verizon add-on line of a family member. I love the phone to no end, however the bill was getting out of hand.

I did my research and currently this looks like the second best phone offered by VM at the moment. I'm not really a Blackberry fan and find it hard to type on the Curve. The Rumor Touch seems to be a highly praised phone on a great CDMA network with plans under $30. So I put together a few questions to those who own the phone, or have owned it.

1.) Are there any cons or issues you noticed with the phone? Anything that bugs you? Any regrets?

2.) I noticed that Google Maps is on the Rumor Touch. I think this is great because I used it quite regularly on my Droid for free turn-by-turn directions. I also like the feature to share location via SMS. Is the Google Maps version on the Rumor the same as the Android version?

3.) Do the apps on the Rumor get updated like the iPhone and Android? I know that Google Maps gets an update about once a month on my Droid. I'm one of those guys that likes to keep things up to date .

4.) Speaking of, what is the current firmware version for the VM Rumor Touch? Can it be update through the device over-the-air, or do firmware updates have to be done via the data cable? Or is VM not really known for updates to firmware?

5.) On my Droid I loved the ability to have different tones set to contacts for not only calling, but for sms too. Meaning that I would have a short SMS tone for one friend and another tone for another friend. That way I could tell who was texting me at work without having to stop to check the phone each time. Does the Rumor Touch offer contact specific SMS tones? Or just custom tones for calling?

6.) 90% of my friends have Verizon. I know most carries have a 160 character cap for text messages but Verizon uses EMS (Enhanced Messaging Service) to allow SMS messages over 160 characters. Has anyone noticed pieces of their conversations going missing or ending short when texting people on Verizon?

7.) VM says for $25 I can get 300 voice minutes and unlimited IM, text, pic messaging, and data. That's quite the deal. Are there any catches that you guys have noticed ? Does the phone do video mms too?

Sorry for all the questions . I do appreciate the help and hope to be on VM soon!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not really answering your question.. but you have noticed that an android phone is coming to virgin mobile sometime this or next month, right?

If you want to stick to the android OS, that might be your best bet

Samsung intersect.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're looking for something like a DROID you'll be better off waiting for the Samsung Intercept. The Rumor Touch is not what you're looking for.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Past Phones: c332, a680, a950, sidekick 2&LX, 9900
    Feedback Score
    Oh wow, just checked out the other thread. An Android phone on VM ?! Exactly what I'm looking for. I was about to order the Touch, but now I'm debating on going without a phone for a few days and waiting .

I will do a little research, but has there been a confirmation on the plan pricing? I love how the Rumor Touch has unlimited data and messaging for $25 a month. Will the Android phone be similar? Or more like VM's Blackberry smartphone with an additional monthly fee?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mixtape86 View Post
    Oh wow, just checked out the other thread. An Android phone on VM ?! Exactly what I'm looking for. I was about to order the Touch, but now I'm debating on going without a phone for a few days and waiting .

I will do a little research, but has there been a confirmation on the plan pricing? I love how the Rumor Touch has unlimited data and messaging for $25 a month. Will the Android phone be similar? Or more like VM's Blackberry smartphone with an additional monthly fee?
    The phone will cost $230.
    no one knows the plan pricing for sure yet, but many think that there will be an additional $5 fee.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    A lot of us think there will be a 5 dollar fee while many of us don't. We'll find out on Tuesday.