Thread: Motorola FAQ

Device(s)
    (On): Samsung M620
    Carrier(s)
    (On): Sprint PCS (Gone): T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless TDMA, Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score

Motorola FAQ

HowardForums Motorola FAQ

If you have a question about a Motorola phone, there is a very good chance that it has been asked and answered already. Before you ask a question, please review the titles of the older "stickies" listed below, and if none of those address your question, please look at the list of Frequently Asked Questions below the stickies.

If your question is not addressed in the stickies or in the FAQ, please perform a search.

If your question has not already been answered, feel free to ask it in the main forum. Please make an effort to state your question or problem clearly in your thread title. There is a very good chance that someone here will be able to help you, but if you don't state your problem clearly in the title, there is a much smaller chance that they will see it and reply.

All of the following links will open in a new window.

Useful stickies (these are long but helpful):

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Last edited by martianviking; 05-14-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: Where can I download the manual for my Motorola phone?

A: Go here: http://commerce.motorola.com/consume...ml/manual.html
    Last edited by martianviking; 01-28-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: My GSM phone displays - "Enter Special Code". Why is my phone asking for a Special Code and where do I get the code?

A: You phone is asking for a Subsidy Lock Code, which is programmed by the original service provider who sold the phone. The code was programmed when they "locked" the phone to their own SIM cards. When you try to use a SIM card from another service provider, the phone will ask for this code. Motorola cannot give you your Subsidy Lock Code. These unique codes can only be obtained from the service provider that the phone is locked to.

Contact your provider if you wish to use your GSM phone with another provider. It is useful if you give them a reason why you need the code (e.g. you are giving the phone as a gift to a person who uses another provider).
    Last edited by martianviking; 05-14-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: What is the recommended length of time to charge my battery?

A: The recommended charge time is generally around four hours, but can range up to twenty-four hours. See your user manual for details.

Please note that for the first two or three charge cycles on a brand new lithium-based (LiIon, LiPoly) battery, even if the normal charge time is four hours, it is best to charge the battery for eight to twelve hours straight and then run the battery completely down in between charges. This should not be done more than two or three times, but it will help to "condition" a brand new battery. After the first couple of charges, you should not run the battery completely down.

With older, nickel-based (NiCad, NiMH) batteries, it was helpful to run the battery completely down before charging. This would help to avoid "memory" effects. This is no longer necessary with lithium-based batteries and may in fact hurt the performance of lithium-based batteries.
    Last edited by martianviking; 05-14-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: What do I do if my phone says it is blocked and I need a PUC code?

A: The PUC code will allow you to change your PIN number to a new PIN number when the phone is blocked. The only time the PUC is needed is if you entered the incorrect PIN 3 times. If you enter the incorrect PIN 3 times, the system will be "blocked" and you will be required to use a new PIN. The old PIN will not work anymore. The PUC code allows you to unblock the phone and change the PIN to a familiar number.

You will need to contact the service provider for assistance discovering your PUC code. Motorola doesn't have this information. The service provider will require the identification number off of the SIM card to be able to provide you the PUC code. This number is usually 15 digits.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: On my ST7790 / ST7797, I can see the outline of digital clock. Does the ST 7790 or ST 7797 have a date/time clock?

A: The ST7790 and ST7797 cellular phones do not have a clock. The display used in these phones is also built into other model phones that do have a clock. It appears that the phone has a clock, when it actually does not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: What is the address for the Motorola national service center and what do I need to include if I contact them?

A: You need to:
    * include a note describing what's wrong
    * include name, address, cellphone # associated with this phone, and contact phone #
    * include the IMEI #
    * use trackable shipping service
    * make sure to put return address or package will be refused
    * include a copy of sales receipt if it's a warranty repair
    * remove all accessories (including the battery)

U.S. address:

U.S. National Service Center
    5401 North Beach Street # 124
    Fort Worth, TX 76137

Canadian address:

Motorola National Service Centre
    5875 Whittle Road
    Mississauga, ON
    L4Z 2H4

The Canadian one should be

Motorola CANADA PCS Service Center
    400 Matheson Blvd west.
    Mississauga, Ontario
    L5R 3M1
    - address updated by LBarouf
    Last edited by Moderator HF 11; 10-23-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: What does the "battery save" option do exactly?

A: The battery save mode turns of the flashing LED, changes the standby transmision power to a lower level, and turns off the IR after a shorter length of time. You can also conserve power by changing the "network search" to "slow search."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Q: What can I do if I get the message "unable to charge" when trying to charge my phone?

A: This usually means that the charger isn't getting a solid connection to the phone. Make sure that the contacts on both the phone and charger are clean, and make sure that the phone is plugged into the charger securely (this problem is common with cheap aftermarket chargers).

If the problem persists then there may be damage to either the charger's plug or the phone's charging socket (damage to the charger is much more likely).
    Last edited by martianviking; 05-14-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    This thread is now outdated, and all subsequent FAQ's can be maintained and read in the Wiki