Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will a Rogers iPhone 4 work with a Fido SIM card?

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Will a Rogers iPhone 4 work with a Fido SIM card?

I have a rogers iphone 4 from a rogers+ store, and i'm
    wondering if it will work with a fido sim?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    You could try, but I doubt it. They never worked like that before.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Device(s)
    IP4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    actually recently many Rogers phones were unlocked for fido; but not the other way around though.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I dont wanna open the phone in case it doesnt work. Hopin someone who has a rogers iphone can try lol

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I was told by an apple rep that all iphone 4s in canada are actually unlocked. but there are two versions.

1 - the truely unlocked version which means u can switch sims any time you want and it wont lock to a carrier (these are the ones sold at full price at apple stores or online-when they are avail).

2 - carrier-temporary-soft-unlocked phones. what this means is that the iphone is unlocked until you pop in a sim and then it becomes permanently locked to that carrier for life, of course unless u get it unlocked through apple's secure itunes method (apparently some iphones can be unlocked through itunes using a special code apple send over the air to the phone but must be connected to itunes and on the internet).

anyways this is what a apple sernior technician divulged to me as he was filling out a form to replace my 3gs... which i then sold the next week for $400...which i then turned into a iPhone 4 rogers hup $399 purchase.... which became a fail because i left the store yesterday with brand new iphone in hand without a microsim.... eff my life... might just cut up my 3gs rogers sim to convert to microsim.

anyways ENJOY.

Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
    I was told by an apple rep that all iphone 4s in canada are actually unlocked. but there are two versions.

1 - the truely unlocked version which means u can switch sims any time you want and it wont lock to a carrier (these are the ones sold at full price at apple stores or online-when they are avail).

2 - carrier-temporary-soft-unlocked phones. what this means is that the iphone is unlocked until you pop in a sim and then it becomes permanently locked to that carrier for life, of course unless u get it unlocked through apple's secure itunes method (apparently some iphones can be unlocked through itunes using a special code apple send over the air to the phone but must be connected to itunes and on the internet).

anyways this is what a apple sernior technician divulged to me as he was filling out a form to replace my 3gs... which i then sold the next week for $400...which i then turned into a iPhone 4 rogers hup $399 purchase.... which became a fail because i left the store yesterday with brand new iphone in hand without a microsim.... eff my life... might just cut up my 3gs rogers sim to convert to microsim.

anyways ENJOY.
    I was told that all the Iphone4 phones are unlocked, so that every phone in their inventory could either be sold as unlocked or to a carrier. They told me that When the microsim they provide when they sell a locked phone is put in, the phone is locked to that carrier ie telus, bell, rogers or fido. Since they just gave me the sim card, and phone separately, I have not installed the sim yet.

Does this mean I could, for example put a cut down tmobile sim in there and it would work? would it be locked to tmobile? this question would apply to either of the scenarios, eg both to the 2 types or to the 1 type theory.

Can i make a copy of the unlocked microcode before I stick the sim in it? Is there something I could do in the 'backup area' that I could not later do after I have put the sim in?

Can anyone shed more light on this matter?

Device(s)
    IP4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdvan View Post
    I was told that all the Iphone4 phones are unlocked, so that every phone in their inventory could either be sold as unlocked or to a carrier. They told me that When the microsim they provide when they sell a locked phone is put in, the phone is locked to that carrier ie telus, bell, rogers or fido. Since they just gave me the sim card, and phone separately, I have not installed the sim yet.

Does this mean I could, for example put a cut down tmobile sim in there and it would work? would it be locked to tmobile? this question would apply to either of the scenarios, eg both to the 2 types or to the 1 type theory.

Can i make a copy of the unlocked microcode before I stick the sim in it? Is there something I could do in the 'backup area' that I could not later do after I have put the sim in?

Can anyone shed more light on this matter?
    I will shed light.

The poster above you is correct.

Iphone A will work for only telus and bell. They will soft lock to that carrier on activation

Iphone B will work for only rogers and fido. They will soft lock to that carrier on activation.

Iphone C is true unlocked will work on any network.

How does this work you say?

There is a whitelist, when you buy an Iphone from the apple store outright they add the IMEI to to whitelist so it does not lock when activated.

If you do a HUP at the apple store they do not add the IMEI so it locks on activation of the sim.

I can confirm the A and B as we tested fido and rogers sims in a telus Iphone and it was a no go but bell worked. We also tried a Fido sim in a rogers Iphone and it worked.

In other words Cloneboy is correct on all points

I however cannot confirm the whitelist theory as that was told to me by a rogers rep who was at the apple store and he could be full of ****.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^I can confirm the white list. Apple reps scan a barcode in their POS system which adds the IMEI to the white list.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    When i got my iphone the rogers rep scanned the phone and sim card, but i never put it in the ip4. So does this mean if i put a fido sim in that the fido serivce would still work? Or is it too late and locked to rogers?
    Thanks to all, got a lot of good info.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I've always wondered this. When I first purchased my Iphone, I received it with the sim card already installed, and I don't remember seeing a sim card number on the packaging. How do they get it in there without opening the packaging?

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post

anyways ENJOY.
    MicroSIM's are free, go back and get yours.
    Howard Forums Feedback
    Redflagdeals Feedback

BB - 9900, 9700(x3), Bold(x5), 8820(x2), 8800, 8100, 8320(x2)
    HTC - Diamond 2, Diamond, Polaris, Artemis, Desire, Desire Z
    Nokia - E72-2, N97(x2), E75(x2), Sapphire Arte, 5800 XM, E90, N95-4,E71-2(x4),E65,N82,8600,3120
    Sony - W810i
    Samsung - D807
    Apple - iPhone 3G 8GB(x2), 16GB(x3), iPhone 3GS(x5), iPhone 4 16GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 4S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 6 128GB

Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kavy View Post
    I will shed light.

The poster above you is correct.

Iphone A will work for only telus and bell. They will soft lock to that carrier on activation

Iphone B will work for only rogers and fido. They will soft lock to that carrier on activation.

Iphone C is true unlocked will work on any network.

How does this work you say?

There is a whitelist, when you buy an Iphone from the apple store outright they add the IMEI to to whitelist so it does not lock when activated.

If you do a HUP at the apple store they do not add the IMEI so it locks on activation of the sim.

I can confirm the A and B as we tested fido and rogers sims in a telus Iphone and it was a no go but bell worked. We also tried a Fido sim in a rogers Iphone and it worked.

In other words Cloneboy is correct on all points

I however cannot confirm the whitelist theory as that was told to me by a rogers rep who was at the apple store and he could be full of ****.
    You tested putting a fido sim in a rogers iphone, and it worked, which you say confirms B.

But has anyone put a rogers sim in the fido iphone and found it works? Is that test not needed to confirm B also?

I assume you mean that before you stick a sim card in the iphone, or make an entry in the whitelist, A B and C are all the same, at the apple store. The apple guru in the apple store said there was only one stock of say 16gig phones, not 2 as I interpreted Cloneboy to say, or do you think the guru was mistaken? Could you turn up the led a little more--part of the room is still a little murky to me..(I hope its not cataracts)

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Ok guys, i can also confirm this works. I tried a rogers iphone 4, which never had a sim card put in it, and i tried my fido sim card, which i cut myself into a micro sized sim, and it works. Thanks to all you guys

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    hey no prob, glad i can help contribute! good luck to everyone looking to get an iphone, im still trying to get another one for my other line. and I just cut up my rogers regular sim to fit the microsim slot, works a charm!

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdvan View Post
    But has anyone put a rogers sim in the fido iphone and found it works? Is that test not needed to confirm B also?
    I'm not sure if this has any bearing but when I attempted to activate my BNIB Fido iPhone 3GS about 8 months ago with my Rogers SIM, the message that I received on iTunes was that I needed to put in the carrier's SIM into the phone. The only thing that I noticed is that even though the iPhone 3GS box was sealed, the Fido SIM was already in the SIM tray slot. I'm also sure that it was never activated via iTunes before because when the iPhone was powered on, from what I remember, there was a message to connect it to the PC to register it on iTunes. Another indication that it had never been registered before (and possibly resealed) is that the warranty period which was based on the serial number of the iPhone started on the day that I registered it.
    Last edited by lmcjipo; 08-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast