Thread: Self Destruct App?

Feedback Score

Self Destruct App?

I'm wondering, does anyone know of an app that locks the iPhone and, after a certain number of wrong password attempts, destroys all data on the device? It would also be good if the iPhone is unused for a period of time (a day, maybe), the app destroys all the data too.

Like a lot of people, my iPhone has some (moderately) sensitive data on it. Nothing extremely private, but I'd like to have some assurance that if it ever got stolen or lost, the data would be corrupted/destroyed before anyone had a chance to extract it.
    Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I donno, I sing in the shower? Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me-- no, don't sue me. That is opposite the point I'm trying to make. And I work here - telephone answering service.

Device(s)
    W810i 8Gig Card
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    iLock

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    You don't need an app for that, it's already built into the OS.

Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Erase Data > ON

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    You don't need an app for that, it's already built into the OS.

Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Erase Data > ON

+1 I have the passcode lock set to 15 minutes and after 10 failed attempts it will erase all data.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why so long? A person can pick up the phone during the fifteen minutes and do whatever you could do.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Good point I might change it to be shorter.

Feedback Score
    FYI the new secure erase on iphone 3gs and 4 is NOT the same as old one that rewrites flash memory with 1s and 0s

the "new" secure erase simply removes all trace of the HARDWARE ENCRYPTION KEY... so in theory everything that was hardware encrypted will be scrambled forever with no way to unscramble it...

the problem is that ONLY mail and contacts (about 1% of the total phone storage) have been deemed hardware encrypted... the rest of your phone (99%) is not

so when you secure erase on the new phones... you have only removed the encryption key for the mail and contacts info... the rest of your data is free and clear to be plundered

that's apple's new and improved security... they sacraficed security for ease and convenience (2 hour complete flash rewrite vs 1 min hardware encryption key removal)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unpollo2 View Post
    FYI the new secure erase on iphone 3gs and 4 is NOT the same as old one that rewrites flash memory with 1s and 0s

the "new" secure erase simply removes all trace of the HARDWARE ENCRYPTION KEY... so in theory everything that was hardware encrypted will be scrambled forever with no way to unscramble it...

the problem is that ONLY mail and contacts (about 1% of the total phone storage) have been deemed hardware encrypted... the rest of your phone (99%) is not

so when you secure erase on the new phones... you have only removed the encryption key for the mail and contacts info... the rest of your data is free and clear to be plundered

that's apple's new and improved security... they sacraficed security for ease and convenience (2 hour complete flash rewrite vs 1 min hardware encryption key removal)
    That is entirely incorrect. On iOS devices that support hardware encryption (iPhone 3G [S], iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch 3rd gen), everything that gets written to the disk is encrypted with the hardware encryption keys.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2110

What's new in iOS 4 is that the hardware encryption keys can be further protected with your passcode, providing an additional layer of protection. That does not imply that without iOS 4, or without a passcode, your disk is not protected.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4175

Feedback Score
    None of those links states that ALL info written to the iPhone 4 is encrypted.
    I went so far as to call tech support and they verified my original post.

If you have any proof of your statement I would love to hear it... As I am hesitant to put sensitive data on my phone now.

Feedback Score
    read this link, it spells it out clearly

http://anthonyvance.com/blog/forensi...ta_protection/

basically iphone 4 and ios4 are capable of full disk encryption but it is dependant on the software to utilize it (Files, Air Sharing, Datacase... all do not use it currently)... and even apple software isnt fully using encryption, only Mail/contacts... not the photos/videos taken with iphone, not text messages etc

this is a serious issue

Feedback Score
    Hum..I've never thought about the use of this setting, but now I'll try to take care about it. It's kind of insurance for the data, so it's really important. I wouldn't like someone to see my private data. The fact is, you never think that your iPhone can ever be stolen or lost, but sometimes it happens when you don't expect ...
    you should take a look at this mobile development