Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What phones you intend to use on Chat-R?

Feedback Score
    sorry guys new user here and wanted to find out if I could use my unlocked 2g Iphone or Nokia 2610 that I got from speakoutwireless?

Basically I'm trying to avoid buying their $60 phones to use with their service. Any advice would be appreciated if I could buy one somewhere for a cheaper price

thanks

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    On the subject of cheap phones: I'm surprised that no used phone outlets have opened up here (that I'm aware of).

Back home in Munich there is a chain called Second Handy and for 20 or so Euros you can buy a few year old, tested, high-end (at the time) phone. With locations in the center of the city and at one at the main train station, they do a brisk business.

I have an unlocked Nokia 1661 (it's surprisingly good for a cheap phone, and was given a favorable score by the Stiftung Warentest) that I currently use on Rogers. I'm considering switching it over to Chatr, however, I’m concerned about the small ‘unlimited’ zone.

-Franz W.

Feedback Score
    I recall seeing an ad for a second-hand phone store in the GTA but not the details. The 2nd-hand market here has been dominated by Craig's List and Kijiiji but I think that will change as more bring-your-own-phone options appear (chat-r, wind, mobilicity). Paying a shop a commission to sell your old phone may be preferable to the risks involved in a private sale and shoppers may be willing to pay a bit more to buy at a shop than from a stranger in a food court. Where there is a demand, someone will open a business. There were no second-hand wired-line phone stores here when everyone had to rent/buy their home phone from Bell and now there are many .

Places like Pacific Mall have lots of stores selling unlocked new phones so we're not constrained by the un-exciting lineup of chat-r phones but, definitely, a second hand phone outlet would be a welcome addition.

WRT the previous post, there are reports of issues with iPhones on chat-r but other 850/1900 band unlocked GSM/HSPA phones seem to be working well. Phones originally locked to Rogers apparently don't need to be unlocked.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Vodafone.DE O2.DE Cellcom Fido
    Feedback Score
    I saw that shop while i was in Nürnberg, there are quite a few places to get a good phone. I am sure most people have one or 2 kicking around. The 1661 is a nice phone I think it is the one with the built in torch.. Simple and no frills. I plan to use just about anything I have in the phone drawer.. my old blackberries 7100r and 7100v my razor v3 v180 that I found while fishing last week the list is endless...

Quote Originally Posted by Münchner View Post
    On the subject of cheap phones: I'm surprised that no used phone outlets have opened up here (that I'm aware of).

Back home in Munich there is a chain called Second Handy and for 20 or so Euros you can buy a few year old, tested, high-end (at the time) phone. With locations in the center of the city and at one at the main train station, they do a brisk business.

I have an unlocked Nokia 1661 (it's surprisingly good for a cheap phone, and was given a favorable score by the Stiftung Warentest) that I currently use on Rogers. I'm considering switching it over to Chatr, however, I’m concerned about the small ‘unlimited’ zone.

-Franz W.

Feedback Score
    My old LG KS 20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEBLOW333333 View Post
    i have an Rogers Iphone 3G "locked", do i need to unlock it first ?
    NO you don't need to unlock it. I activated a Samsung Corby (Prepaid) with a Rogers SIM card on Chatr.

Feedback Score
    i'm using iphone 4, but it's too bad that Facetime won't work with Chat-R sim(i cut it into microsim myself)....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2