Thread: How To: Web, MMS, Apps HTC ERIS(New)

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible 2.2 Root Rom
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

How To: Web, MMS, Apps HTC ERIS(New)

Im on cricket and made a flash for the cricket folks, and it wasnt too hard to modify it for Metro. Let me know if it works for you all, if not ill adjust it and get it working.

This is a C/P of my post at XDA here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730289

Please PM me or preferably reply to my thread at XDA if this does not work. And if it does, feel free to attach or link to my files from this thread, its just more convenient for me on XDA as i dont check hofo often and most likely will forget to update this thread as a new version comes out.

Begin C/P
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    This is for people using Eris on Alternate Carriers i.e NOT FOR PEOPLE USING VERIZON

This Flash will Setup Web/MMS for people on Cricket or MetroPCS. If there are other carriers that use a proxy that the U2NL solution works on, i can modify this approach for them as well.

Requirements:
    1. Rooted Rom that supports IPTABLES and has been flashed and booted once
    2. Flash the file for your carrier from below
    3. Download and install "Autostart (root)" from blank-online.eu in the Marketplace
    4. After the phone reboots choose "Always Allow" to the SU prompt
    5. Reboot (some froyo roms take 2 reboots)

What this flash does:
    1. Remove any instances of:
    /system/bin/u2nl
    /system/xbin/sqlite3
    /data/opt/autostart.sh
    /data/eri.xml

2. Push and set appropriate Permissions on:
    /system/bin/u2nl (the program that makes routing traffic through the proxy possible)
    /system/xbin/sqlite3 (some roms include this, but the permissions may not be set correctly)
    /data/eri.xml (used to change the Carrier Display name on the lock screen and notification bar)
    /data/opt/autostart.sh (used set the iptables and u2nl settings at boot)

3. Drop database tables and replace them with appropriate Carrier Settings in:
    /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db (the database that the MMS program looks at for carrier settings)

What has been tested:
    Ivan 1.0 Alpha (HTC Eclair)
    ErisLightningBolt 2.8 (Eclair)
    CELB Froyo 1.4 (Froyo)

Known Issues:
    Does not seem to work with KaosFroyo v23 currently. Running the autostart.sh manually will work, but the autostart program does not seem to execute, i believe it may be due to an incompatibility with the SU program, but have not had time to investigate.

Let me know if anything pops up and ill do my best to fix it. Feel free to repost and modify this but please give due credit to the folks on XDA and HoFo.

All of this work derives from The community on XDA and Howard Forums. Original solution was found on Howard Forums for the Moto Droid and i modified their approach into a flash for ease of access.

Download:
    Cricket v8:
    http://www.multiupload.com/EO742C9UDO

MetroPCS v3:
    http://www.multiupload.com/XH3IAVQ4PL
    (Need verification this works for you MetroPCS folks)

Revol v1:
    http://www.multiupload.com/8QYS8KRO67
    (Need verification this works for you Revol folks)
    i was unable to find the MNC for Revol so MMS may fail on cyanogen based roms, and i did not include U2NL as i could not find that Revol was running through a proxy.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo [Afflicted Evo 2.3.3]
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    So you dont hijack the other thread i made you one of your own as i find this very interesting a competing solution.
    Code Name: L0GiC4L 3ViL
    Quote: "Make love not war... Contribute dont leech.My insane logic gets the job done..."
    Latest Exploits:
    evo full flash (yes mms works), samsung intercept web (ask around), moto droid full flash
    Next Hijack: AFFLICTION ROM

11/4 3000th post

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible 2.2 Root Rom
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L0GiC4L 3ViL View Post
    So you dont hijack the other thread i made you one of your own as i find this very interesting a competing solution.
    Ah no worries, my intention was not to compete. I was simply posting the flash i am working on to aid the metro folks, i have gotten a few requests to make one and finally had the time.

My intention was to simply help out and if it worked the OP could update his thread, as it contains the FULL flashing instructions, whereas this is ONLY to automate the iptables/u2nl setup as well as change a few backend changes (like the build.prop for metro, and the eri.xml so it displays Metro properly) for a more complete metro solution.

Feel free to update the full flashing guide with this if you wish, or leave it separate. Again if it doesn't work just pm me or view my post on XDA for updates to the zip's because i cannot edit my posts here for some reason after 1 day has passed.

The solution was not discovered by me, as it derived from the work of the others the OP mentioned in his post, i just flash different roms onto my phone alot and wanted a 1 click solution and figured others may benefit as well.

Again hope it works out and i would prefer it if the OP wishes, that he be able to include it into his post, since it contains the full flash instructions and i do not own a metro phone and was only creating this as an aid to his current process, since it does the same thing, but automated with a few more polishes that most users would not figure out without some deeper knowledge of android.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by token419 View Post
    Ah no worries, my intention was not to compete. I was simply posting the flash i am working on to aid the metro folks, i have gotten a few requests to make one and finally had the time.

My intention was to simply help out and if it worked the OP could update his thread, as it contains the FULL flashing instructions, whereas this is ONLY to automate the iptables/u2nl setup as well as change a few backend changes (like the build.prop for metro, and the eri.xml so it displays Metro properly) for a more complete metro solution.

Feel free to update the full flashing guide with this if you wish, or leave it separate. Again if it doesn't work just pm me or view my post on XDA for updates to the zip's because i cannot edit my posts here for some reason after 1 day has passed.

The solution was not discovered by me, as it derived from the work of the others the OP mentioned in his post, i just flash different roms onto my phone alot and wanted a 1 click solution and figured others may benefit as well.

Again hope it works out and i would prefer it if the OP wishes, that he be able to include it into his post, since it contains the full flash instructions and i do not own a metro phone and was only creating this as an aid to his current process, since it does the same thing, but automated with a few more polishes that most users would not figure out without some deeper knowledge of android.
    No worries: without you contributing to the cricket thread, my guide wouldn't have been possible. I agree with 3ViL on the split. By having your custom flash in a separate thread, it will make it easier for you to post any updates and members to find your updates. And, like you said, it makes it easier for those who flash a lot of ROMs and/or phones.

My thinking was, and I think you would agree, that by showing everyone how it's done, they would learn how to flash not just the Eris but other Android phones as well. With slight modification, the Hero, Incredible, EVO can be flashed to Metro using the guide. Furthermore, they would have a better chance of understanding how to fix the problems they run into and helping others with the same problem.

When I get a chance, I check it out. Once we get some feedback form other members and any bug are ironed out, I see about integrating some of the changes you did into my guide.

Cheers
    Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than trolls in the deep subforums.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Followed the guide and everything went flawlessly. Which is odd because I thought the pw had to be user generated, but I am not complaining. lol. Used it with CELB 1.5 Froyo. Not really my kind of ROM, but it will do till some more Froyos come up.

Feedback Score
    all I've got to say is TOKEN YOU ARE THE MOTAFKIN MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by adoidont; 08-13-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hi, I tried this on my hero Its flashed to metropcs I already had the web and apps working but my mms wasn't working, I treid your flash but still no luck with mms I am using 2.1 bittersweet rom. Is the rom compatible How can i tell if it supports Iptables, does this flash even work on the hero? I get either a message not downloaded message with a generic network failure when I try to receive or a unable to send message generic network failure. Thanks for any help that you can give.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoboyd06 View Post
    Hi, I tried this on my hero Its flashed to metropcs I already had the web and apps working but my mms wasn't working, I treid your flash but still no luck with mms I am using 2.1 bittersweet rom. Is the rom compatible How can i tell if it supports Iptables, does this flash even work on the hero? I get either a message not downloaded message with a generic network failure when I try to receive or a unable to send message generic network failure. Thanks for any help that you can give.
    I second that, I tried Sens-able and Celb on my eris how can I tell which rom i can or cannot use?

Feedback Score
    I forgot to add that this worked for everything BUT being able to send out picture messages to people that AREN'T on metro

btw I'm on metro south FL
    Last edited by adoidont; 08-13-2010 at 08:29 PM.