Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Slightly on/off Topic Fun "Stuff": How Well Are You Known on the Forums?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (2014)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung SGH-T746 Impact: SAMSUNG-SGH-T746/T746BMIH6 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by peanutboy
    o, my first mobile was back in 1991, it was a Cantel Motorola DPC 550 it was $299 with a 3 yr contract and I used to pay $50+ a month for voice service alone, sms, wasnt even around lol

Quote Originally Posted by goku_vegeta View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung SGH-T746 Impact: SAMSUNG-SGH-T746/T746BMIH6 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

There seem to be a lot of lurkers wow youve been using a mobile for quite some time then, I had got my first personal mobile june 2 2007 lol
    that phone's YEARS older than me, you guys are like veterans of mobile technology, and Im more like the Private reporting for duty for the first time

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does anyone remember the Amigo phones..........
    Back in the days...during Cantel I believe.
    Mine was officially a qualcomm phone from bell. Can't believe how times have changed.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ah yes good old CDMA, Its never failed me before, what model did they provide you with?
    My old phones were old lol
    Both the Rogers & Fido are still listed in my profile
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (2014)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c

ah yes good old CDMA, Its never failed me before, what model did they provide you with?
    My old phones were old lol
    Both the Rogers & Fido are still listed in my profile
    Oh yeah? lol rogers used to be a fair carrier, and fido was pretty cool way back then

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy III
    Carrier(s)
    Telus | Bell
    Feedback Score

Oh yeah? lol rogers used to be a fair carrier, and fido was pretty cool way back then
    None of the carriers are "fair"

Every carrier has its pros and cons and you have to weigh them against each other to see if they would be a good fit for your needs. I'm on Rogers simply due to price and the phone selection at the time of purchase.

Rogers HSPA network in Southwestern Ontario is pretty crappy in my experience. During my three years on Bell 1xRTT/1xEVDO Rev0 & RevA I've never had an issue with dropped calls. On Rogers HSPA I drop about 5% of my calls.

I can get 300 minutes, 6pm evenings & weekends, call display, message centre, per second billing for $20.00/mo on Bell HSPA+ through the corporate plan offered to my employer.

The problem lies in that I need to add $7.50 for unlimited texting and $30 for data package. $57.50 - $32.58 is $24.92 difference in price that isn't justified by not having to worry about dropping every 20th call. If it was $5 - $10 I might consider it.
    TELUS Mobility - $50.00 per month (36 Month Term) (Personal)| $300 Port-In Credit
    350 Minutes (per second) | 6pm Eve & Wknds | Unlimited CDN LD | Unlimited SMS | Call Display | Voicemail | 6GB Data

BELL Mobility - $38.00 per month with Bell Bundle (12 Month Term) (Business)
    400 Minutes | 6pm Eve & Wknds | Unlimited Incoming | 500 LD Mins | Call Display

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy740 View Post
    The problem lies in that I need to add $7.50 for unlimited texting and $30 for data package. $57.50 - $32.58 is $24.92 difference in price that isn't justified by not having to worry about dropping every 20th call. If it was $5 - $10 I might consider it.
    Once your contract is up, it'll look a lot more reasonable.
    Work _________________________________Blackberry 9700

Twitter: @BBMacD-Where I will tweet new info when i'm too lazy to post it! (often)
    Former Bell Dealer
    Former Bell Mobility Employee

Device(s)
    HTC M8 Android 6 Sense 7 with BB Apps
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo SK $55
    Feedback Score
    I started with a Nokia 282 on a Telus your time unlimited plan. This was about a year after the BCtel merger. No day time included @ 0.40/min but had unlimited local and long distance in BC and Alberta after 7 and all weekends. 45/month, Voice mail and add-a-pager (for voicemail notifications! and a local number in vancouver). Paid $250 on 2 year, and a 200 deposit.

I am not known around here anymore. But a few years ago I helped the V710 (best phone for reception EVER created!) hacking world by pulling the BREW off the Telus V710 and sharing it so that the Verizon people could enjoy the world of apps! (Apple was doing 1st gen iPod and we were apping. They were not first in any way!) And using BitPim to load the java files/ringtones/notifications. Back when getting "Sweet home Alabama" as a ringtone for free was praise worthy!

Now a days I'm on xda developers forms more than the rest. Mostly I'm at WirelessWave and I find that reading here to keep up with carriers and all the chit chat is getting a little over whelming. So I doubt i have much notoriety anymore.

Bell: 200 Anytime, 6PM E&W, Fab 10, unlimited data, unlimited Messaging, Caller ID & Visual Voicemail $52.75 <- Miss This Plan!!!!

Koodo SK with BC Number. $55 Unlimited Candian Talk N Text + 5GB

"I won't even buy Apple juice anymore!"

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    doan_1, were you always going by that name? I think I remember you in the Telus forums... Didn't you mess around with MiKe handsets too?

I miss the V710...

The 282, wasn't that the analog Nokia Clamshell? You would have got one of those paper cards you had to mail in to get your rebate, right?

;-)
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Device(s)
    dec 2010 was time to change old htc touch by 3 new Desire Z.. :-)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell mobilité
    Feedback Score
    I'm in cellular industry since 1985..

i was an on road seller for cantel, i remember those brick i solded 3995$ for the ''portable'' Motorola 8000

But 50% of my sales was pagers, 40% phones installed in car and 10% portable and transportable phones.

someone here said veteran, i think i'm part of it.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Poweruser View Post
    I'm in cellular industry since 1985
    there was a cellular industry in 1985?

Device(s)
    dec 2010 was time to change old htc touch by 3 new Desire Z.. :-)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell mobilité
    Feedback Score
    yep the beginning ...

the first official call on the cantel network was made on the launch date of the network on july 1st 1985 by the mayor of toronto to jean drapeau, mayor of montreal at that time.

but real business and good money start in 1989 with the first motorola microtac DPC Series

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (2014)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-T746/T746BMIH6 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy740

None of the carriers are "fair"

Every carrier has its pros and cons and you have to weigh them against each other to see if they would be a good fit for your needs. I'm on Rogers simply due to price and the phone selection at the time of purchase.

Rogers HSPA network in Southwestern Ontario is pretty crappy in my experience. During my three years on Bell 1xRTT/1xEVDO Rev0 & RevA I've never had an issue with dropped calls. On Rogers HSPA I drop about 5% of my calls.

I can get 300 minutes, 6pm evenings & weekends, call display, message centre, per second billing for $20.00/mo on Bell HSPA+ through the corporate plan offered to my employer.

note the ''used to'' part

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy III
    Carrier(s)
    Telus | Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MacD View Post
    Once your contract is up, it'll look a lot more reasonable.
    I still have a solid year and a half left with mad discounts....by that time Wind will be available here and I'll snag one of the $15/mo Friends&Family deals and add data for $20/mo

Device(s)
    HTC M8 Android 6 Sense 7 with BB Apps
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo SK $55
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string View Post
    doan_1, were you always going by that name? I think I remember you in the Telus forums... Didn't you mess around with MiKe handsets too?

I miss the V710...

The 282, wasn't that the analog Nokia Clamshell? You would have got one of those paper cards you had to mail in to get your rebate, right?

;-)
    Yup, right on both fronts. The 282 came in Black, Ruby Red, Silver, Pewter, and the funky blue-purple. that was the once I had. Was so cool in the 90s :P It had caller ID in analog if you were in alberta, which of course I was in Ucluelet so thats no where near the prairies. The i880 had a similar colour, which is one reason why I like it too. The days of old..... back when a custom phone was one with a flashing antenna and a holographic screen sticker!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6