Thread: iPad is NOT a product - It's market research

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

iPad is NOT a product - It's market research

I've been considering getting one, until I realized why it makes little sense.

It's not a device for the sake of whatever magical purpose Apple is trying to sell it as. It's an experiment to see how people deal with the touch keyboard. I think it's meant to gauge how the public reacts to a laptop-sized keyboard placed on a touchscreen. The layout is near identical.

Based on their current design trend, unibody everything, glass surfaces, etc. I think the next step in their computer line will be to make Everything touchscreen. The iMacs are easy and will still come with a keyboard, but the fun part is in the Macbook line-up. They're going to make the keyboard a touch-surface. They're already doing this a tiny bit by making the trackpad entirely touch, and integrating the button behind the glass. If the iPad keyboard is well or at least decently received, they're going to make that entire bottom surface touch-based, and experiment with not only a touch keyboard, but also various new input style. It can be voice command, facial or gesture tracking with the camera, dynamic icon-based interface on the secondary LCD (bottom panel), etc.

This is why the iPad makes little sense. Sure it's sorta nice to have. Kinda useful sometimes, etc. But it makes the most sense if they're using it as a research platform. All the marketing that goes to it is only to encourage people to 'deal' with the keyboard and see if under the best circumstances, people can accept it.

You think I'm crazy?

This is what Toshiba released recently:

Ryan - My Feedback

my flickr

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Everything a company releases is always part of an ongoing research project. I don't see why this is news to you and why you seem so gunho on shooting down early adopters.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It's not news to me, and I'm not trying to shoot down early adopters. Where did you get that idea? I think the iPad and the iPhone which preceded it were great ideas, and great examples of what touch interfaces can do for people.

I'm trying to start a discussion on what people think is the next generation of user interface on mobile devices.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/fido
    Feedback Score
    i agree with you, apple would be crazy enough to do that at least one one version of their macbooks.

I dont see myself using a fully touchscreen keyboard (on a computer) tho, i think it might work on the ipad because its not really meant for a lot of text input, maybe short emails but nothing lengthy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    People keep saying to me, "What's the point? It's just a Big iPod touch..."

EXACTLY!! It's a big iPod Touch/iPhone...
    What is Understood, Need Not Be Discussed...."

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I use my iPad more than I use my MacBook/other computers in my house. Something has to be said for that. The iPad is just so simple to use. I can use it in any room of my house, without carrying a 5 pound laptop with me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlack View Post
    I use my iPad more than I use my MacBook/other computers in my house. Something has to be said for that. The iPad is just so simple to use. I can use it in any room of my house, without carrying a 5 pound laptop with me.
    that sucks. i carry around a 2lb laptop with me everywhere i go?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    i carry around a 2lb laptop with me everywhere i go?
    You tell us...

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Clearly it's a product. Clearly it's market research.

Quote Originally Posted by Goelz83 View Post
    You tell us...
    I don't subscribe to threads. If you've got something to say to me, PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
    This is what Toshiba released recently
    Does that "laptop" make you want to throw up as well? I can't imagine typing away on that. The fact that many of us said that about the iPhone and other similar touch devices scares me.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My netbook is cramped when I type on its keyboard. I love typing on my gaming laptop though.

IMO, if devices will use a touchscreen, use it for a touchscreen, and not a keyboard. I guess I'm used to using my thumbs to 'type' on my phone and iPod touch.
    Anything below this statement isn't part of the post I just made.
    Past Phones: Nokia 3390, 6010, 6133, 5310, X2-02
    Motorola v635, SLVR, v300
    ATT Fuze, HTC Evo 3D
    Samsung Galaxy 4G

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
    I've been considering getting one, until I realized why it makes little sense.

It's not a device for the sake of whatever magical purpose Apple is trying to sell it as. It's an experiment to see how people deal with the touch keyboard. I think it's meant to gauge how the public reacts to a laptop-sized keyboard placed on a touchscreen. The layout is near identical.

Based on their current design trend, unibody everything, glass surfaces, etc. I think the next step in their computer line will be to make Everything touchscreen. The iMacs are easy and will still come with a keyboard, but the fun part is in the Macbook line-up. They're going to make the keyboard a touch-surface. They're already doing this a tiny bit by making the trackpad entirely touch, and integrating the button behind the glass. If the iPad keyboard is well or at least decently received, they're going to make that entire bottom surface touch-based, and experiment with not only a touch keyboard, but also various new input style. It can be voice command, facial or gesture tracking with the camera, dynamic icon-based interface on the secondary LCD (bottom panel), etc.

edited.
    You think I'm crazy?
    you must not really understand Apple then. Although Apple has an enormous WEALTH of patents used in the entire computing industry; not all of it is implemented.

Case in point to debate your idea - which is cool btw.

Inkwell. This is a technology that Apple has owned for several years now for natural handwriting languages. This is YEARS beyond what the industry has or any patent house - and a little hint of it is with iPhone's use & recognition of Kanji and other script language entries for text.

Glass TrackPad. Incredible ... I own a 2009 MacBook and typing on this already, with implemented Spaces, Expose, etc ... for me there IS NO going back. Now another company implemented their own software/hardware pen solution where you can write on that trackpad and use it just like artist's would a Wacom tablet (tablet screen or tablet multi-touch PC; which HP excels in yet still pales). Pressure sensitivity is already supported in OS X and the hardware. Apple are forward thinkers ... MUCH more forward than you, I, or anyone outside of the company knows.

iPad ... in every way shape and form is the rebirth of the much hallowed and super-old-geek loved Newton. Jobs personally fronted it and felt VERY ashamed of its early demise - by his timeline estimates; and vowed NEVER to make one again. As we know now ... iPhone was made as its initiative and produced as the market nor iPad was ready. There are MANY videos of Jobs saying tablet pc's and that idea paradigm was a joke just some 7-10 years ago on All Things Digital. Here we are today.

Also note that the original head technology designer of the Newton was hired by Apple just before the Fall season 2009. iPad is going to go MUCH farther in its second iteration, yet not initially ... baby steps as Apple are perfectionists ... usually.

All that said ... I'd LOVE to see the multi-touch glass trackpad have its OWN digital screen. I'd love the iPhone to have ability to check OS X status remotely while the main MB/MBP is in sleep mode.

Don't get me started why MSI/Toshiba/Acer can ship laptops with Core i5/Core i7's with Nvidia chipsets (not dedicated video cards) and Apple cannot for the 13"MBP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlack View Post
    Hmm. Maybe just something you're trending for the the current quarter. I doubt you do anything heavy with MS Word/Excel or PowerPoint - or work in the support environment where you'll need to look at things soon.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback