Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T unable to unlock my new 9700

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T unable to unlock my new 9700

I got a new 9700 on July 4th, and went to get it unlocked. When I called CS they said the device cannot be unlocked. I went back to the store, and they tried to unlock the remaining 9700s they had on hand, including their display one, and none of them would unlock. They also had CS open a case for it. Today, I got the email back from them, and they state that "Due to Device Exclusivity agreements with Manufacturers we are unable to provide an unlock code for your device."
    My brother has the same device, got him his in April or so, and his was unlocked via CS just fine. So what's changed between now and then?

Thanks!

Pritesh

Device(s)
    Curve 8900, AT&T Tilt, and Pearl 8110 (Current Phones)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Typically you need to have your phone for longer than 2 days before they will unlock it for you.
    Phones, Past and Present:

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No, not the case, I've had a new phone for less than 12 hours and gotten it unlocked before. I spent time with the rep on the phone, they claim they can't unlock West coast 9700s, only east coast one, which is weird. Plus I'm on the east coast, which furthers my point. They claim they put this into the new case they created. They also said that the rules for unlocking changed on June 30th, but they didn't clarify to what extent they changed.

Pritesh

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure then. Usually AT&T won't unlock a phone that quickly...they like to see you pay off some of the subsidy on the phone first.

That being said, there's no difference between a west coast and a east coast phone.

Finally, for rules for unlocking....

The only time I know they will give you an unlock code (past the rep who's having a great day and is super nice to you) is if you are traveling out of country (or say that you are) or you are nearing the end of your contract.

My advice: call again and get a different rep.

Feedback Score
    Don't bother trying to get another rep. Trust me, if they could get the code (and they all get it from the same place), they'd give it to you and be done with it. The e-mail you got was accurate, and things did change recently after a class-action lawsuit.

Read here: http://consumerist.com/2010/05/to-se...an-iphone.html

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Understood. So when was the Bold 2 under the exclusivity agreement, and when does it end. If I remember it launched in November 2009 (a year after the first Bold), so does that means I need to wait till September to get this code?

Pritesh

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Huh?
    I got my 9700 unlocked the day I received it, and that was a few weeks ago.
    I'm not understanding all this trouble to unlock the 9700 from AT&T considering this is the second thread on this issue.
    What's going on here?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Was that before or after the June 30th change. Cause I got my brother's done before, no problems, but mine I wanted to do when I got it (July 4th), and it's not going well.

Pritesh

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Bold2 isn't under an exclusivity agreement now as in the US, AT&T and T-Mobile provide the phone.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by siliconvalley78 View Post
    Was that before or after the June 30th change. Cause I got my brother's done before, no problems, but mine I wanted to do when I got it (July 4th), and it's not going well.

Pritesh
    June 29...
    Did AT&T change their policy on unlock codes?
    I had always thought that the phone had to be in their system for 6 months ( as told sometime in mid 2003) however in the last few times I have received unlock codes I had the phone on their system for much less than that.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, they changed the policy. Looks like according to this: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...phone_unl.html it's related to some lawsuit (assuming this is the right article). Make note of #3 specifically.

@soccernamlak - you're right, I didn't think it was either, solely because other carriers have it, which would make it nonexclusive. I've got a case pending with the AT&T Office of the President concerning this, so we'll see what they say. This is pretty out of control for this device, I mean it's meant to be used abroad, so why don't they just let us :S.

Pritesh

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm having the same issue with a Blackberry Bold 9000 with AT&T. They tell me that "Due to Device Exclusivity agreements with Manufacturers we are unable to provide an unlock code for your device."

The device is 2 years old, and I told them I had an imminent trip overseas. Nothing. Supervisor didn't get me anywhere either.

This is horrible. I'm tempted to file and FCC complaint about it.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For the original Bold, yeah, it's out of control, it's definitely been out since November 4th 2008 (I got it on release day). There's definitely something going on here, not sure why they're being this way (aside from the lawsuit thing, but that shouldn't affect non-iPhone users).

Pritesh

Feedback Score

I got "Due to device exclusivity we will not be able to unlock your device"

I got the similar message today through SMS on my blackberry 9700 bold: "Due to device exclusivity we will not be able to unlock your device. For more info please visit www.attlockinglawsuits.com". in http://www.attlockinglawsuits.com/pdf/meolinot.pdf, I notice 10 months and 90 days. my service with At&T has been more than 90 days ( but less 10 months). I will leave the country in a week. I need the phone unlocked. please help.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Still waiting on an answer at this point, we don't have anything more to give you at this point. Thanks for the PDF though, we didn't have that initially.

Pritesh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast