Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 364

Thread: Samsung Captivate for AT&T

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrows View Post
    Rooting gives you administrative control over your phone.


    There's really 3 main reasons to root:


    1. Overclocking/Underclocking (speed vs saving battery)


    2. The ability to play with custom Roms


    &


    3. There's a BUNCH of Apps in the Android Market that will only let you install ONLY if you have Root Access



    For you personally FLD I would recommend just starting out with the phone itself and get used to the Android water for a while. Eventually after doing some reading (and getting a little bored with the phone) you may want to customize it a bit. Just go sloooooooooooooow (there's no rush to to get into the whole root thing) and take it step by step or you will risk bricking your phone and then it's Game Over...
    Great advice.......I initially rooted then unrooted and went with 2.2 today. I am stock and have yet to find an app in need to root for. But I am a noob with Android and will go slow. I just had to root and use ODIN just because it was so easy.......Bricking the phone is hard and I have not read of a case where someone could not find help on XDA to unbrick the Captivate. Usually they don;t follow instructions or lose patience with the time it takes to do something. It is a learning process. But the support is amazing and no one gets trashed for asking first level questions....XDA is a great place to start. They are pretty heady on this OS.
    SMART PHONE TEST
    ATT since before Cingular
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    GT-N7100


    Omega v7.2 JB - 4.1.2 XXDLJ2

    Kernel: XXDLJ2
    Modem: XXDLJ2

    64GB Sandisk class 6

    Ebay-Tombo7777
    Previous, N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, ATT Note SGH-i777 Sold $475 Note N7000 Sold $340

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,455
    Device(s)
    Nokia E72 / Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bong View Post
    Great advice.......I initially rooted then unrooted and went with 2.2 today. I am stock and have yet to find an app in need to root for. But I am a noob with Android and will go slow. I just had to root and use ODIN just because it was so easy.......Bricking the phone is hard and I have not read of a case where someone could not find help on XDA to unbrick the Captivate. Usually they don;t follow instructions or lose patience with the time it takes to do something. It is a learning process. But the support is amazing and no one gets trashed for asking first level questions....XDA is a great place to start. They are pretty heady on this OS.


    Bricking sadly can still happen with the Galaxy (Odin or Not). I believe Captivate users are safe, but you still might want to check if your phone has the recovery mode feature.


    You may want to read this thread (or skim through it since it's a little long) :


    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748131


    ^ (Somebody like "Allgamer" the guy in post #3) who is an above average Android user even bricked his phone (he explains it later on in the thread how and why)




    For whatever boneheaded reason, Samsung locked out the 3 button recovery mode on many of their phones which is STUPID !


    Some phones have the recovery mode, some don't. Samsung realized how badly they screwed up when people were calling in on issues from doing a simple a simple OTA update.


    (Custom ROMS aside for a sec), Let's say you wanted to do a simple Froyo OTA update, and for whatever reason the update crapped out. You are now basically screwed since you can't get back into the recovery mode.


    Samsung has recently starting selling phones with the recovery mode available, but there are many out there with that feature completely locked out.


    I personally have a i9000 expected to arrive at the end of this week and I'm seriously hoping that the phone I receive doesn't have this feature locked out...

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrows View Post
    Bricking sadly can still happen with the Galaxy (Odin or Not). I believe Captivate users are safe, but you still might want to check if your phone has the recovery mode feature.


    You may want to read this thread (or skim through it since it's a little long) :


    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748131


    ^ (Somebody like "Allgamer" the guy in post #3) who is an above average Android user even bricked his phone (he explains it later on in the thread how and why)




    For whatever boneheaded reason, Samsung locked out the 3 button recovery mode on many of their phones which is STUPID !


    Some phones have the recovery mode, some don't. Samsung realized how badly they screwed up when people were calling in on issues from doing a simple a simple OTA update.


    (Custom ROMS aside for a sec), Let's say you wanted to do a simple Froyo OTA update, and for whatever reason the update crapped out. You are now basically screwed since you can't get back into the recovery mode.


    Samsung has recently starting selling phones with the recovery mode available, but there are many out there with that feature completely locked out.


    I personally have a i9000 expected to arrive at the end of this week and I'm seriously hoping that the phone I receive doesn't have this feature locked out...
    I read nearly every thread on the device on XDA. Today I Master Cleared my spare JH7 updated Captivate and lost the ability to enter Download or recovery mode using three fingers.I tried for hours every combination of keys and drivers and finally bit the bullett and went the adb route using the Android SDK and Command Prompt. BINGO......I put the device into o download mode to load ODIN Froyo on the device (which corrected the three button issue as well)

    Both phones now can enter both Recovery or Download mode using the buttons. The SDK method is a good thing to learn if one is messing with that phone. I now have two Captivates on 2.2 in stock mode working well. GPS is better.not as good as my Garmin but I don't have that expectation. I can wait a few minutes for a lock if i have to. normally it takes now 30 seconds and I pick up 10 Sats but they disappear as fast LOL>

    Bottom line is one CAN get into Download mode using the SDK and Command Prompt...

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,455
    Device(s)
    Nokia E72 / Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bong View Post
    I read nearly every thread on the device on XDA. Today I Master Cleared my spare JH7 updated Captivate and lost the ability to enter Download or recovery mode using three fingers.I tried for hours every combination of keys and drivers and finally bit the bullett and went the adb route using the Android SDK and Command Prompt. BINGO......I put the device into o download mode to load ODIN Froyo on the device (which corrected the three button issue as well)


    There's a bunch of threads that talk about that.



    What thread did you use that worked for you?



    (Hopefully I won't need it but) I still want to tag the link for future reference...

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,324
    Device(s)
    3gs...Speed Demon
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular now the new ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone know where i can get the original battery OEM cover?

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    221
    Device(s)
    Sprint SPH-L710 Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    so i just updated to Froyo and did not save my Apps

    I cannot find this anywhere and ATT will not let me install it not in the market. Is there a way around this besides Rooting?
    Marble White Sprint Galaxy S III
    ROM: Stock
    Mods: Rooted & Debloated
    Launcher: TSF Shell / Apex Launcher Pro / Launcher Plus PRO
    Screen Protector: iloome Tempered Glass White
    Battery/Case: ZeroLemon 7000mAh w/ Black & White TPU Cases

    **Always looking for another Jabra BT8010, Hit me up!**

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,438
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    No there is not. The Froyo update is not a carrier update, and as such you lose any kind of support for this kind of stuff. The OTA update should allow you to keep your apps.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    221
    Device(s)
    Sprint SPH-L710 Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    ok, what about Wifi... does anyone have any issues with Wifi since upgrading to Froyo?
    Wifi goes from "Obtaining an IP Address" to "Disabled" then back and forth. I would have sworn it was working yesterday at the office and home after the upgrade.

    hm, ok... well WiFi works like a champ at home... hm...
    Last edited by FlawedLegacy; 10-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    NO problem with wiFi

    The SDK method I had to use to get into Download mode is as follows...Opened the ODIN ROM app I wanted to install...

    Put SDK app on C drive in SDK Folder and extracted all files into that folder. Deleted the ZIP file Attached the phone in debugging mode opened command Prompt and typed



    C:\sdk\tools\adb reboot download and ODIN saw the phone and I hit start and it installed the .2.2 stock ATT pre release ROM into the Captivate...


    commands are "reboot recovery" to get to recovery mode for FW
    "reboot download" to get into download mode for ROM

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,455
    Device(s)
    Nokia E72 / Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bong View Post
    NO problem with wiFi

    The SDK method I had to use to get into Download mode is as follows...Opened the ODIN ROM app I wanted to install...

    Put SDK app on C drive in SDK Folder and extracted all files into that folder. Deleted the ZIP file Attached the phone in debugging mode opened command Prompt and typed



    C:\sdk\tools\adb reboot download and ODIN saw the phone and I hit start and it installed the .2.2 stock ATT pre release ROM into the Captivate...


    commands are "reboot recovery" to get to recovery mode for FW
    "reboot download" to get into download mode for ROM

    Cool I'm gonna bookmark this for later reference and hopefully I won't need it.


    Thanks...

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    221
    Device(s)
    Sprint SPH-L710 Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    lmfao!!! I entered the wrong WEP Key!!

  12. #282
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,245
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    OK..so I have a line on my plan that's free..I'm gonna pick up on a captivate next week and see how it goes. I give it a 30/70 chance of me keeping it...if I don't, I'll put it up for sale to someone that doesn't have a commitment "free" line...I'll post it here first if thats the case

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    I'm gonna pick up on a captivate next week and see how it goes. I give it a 30/70 chance of me keeping it...
    What would cause you to buy a phone that has such a slim chance of satisfying you?

  14. #284
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,245
    Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    ^^^I have to scratch my android "itch". If I keep it, fine..if not, I'll either return it within 30 days or sell it at a profit and pick up the N8. I can pick it up for a song with a contract extension and I'm sure I can sell it for at least $200 or maybe even more

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,438
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    So you'll dump Android for... Symbian? How does that make any sense at ALL?

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Official AT&T Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) Pre-Release Thread
    By killerdraft in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 06:42 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 01:03 AM
  3. Nexus One vs. Galaxy S(Captivate)
    By rlb4 in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
  4. Samsung Captivate (i897)
    By Jixer in forum AT&T Agents and Employees
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 10:11 PM

Bookmarks