Thread: CB Radio vs. Cellphones

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score

CB Radio vs. Cellphones

How many of you have used CB Radios in their hayday? Is grabbing a mike on the end of a heavy, coiled electronic rope and squeezing the transmit button, and yelling "Breaker One Nine, I see Smokey the Bear taking pictures at mile post twenty five..." any worse than answering a cell call by flipping open the untethered phone and holding it to your ear? Is asking Dixie Rabbit on the CB what's her 10-20 any safer than asking your spouse on the cell what we might want for dinner tonight as you pass a grocery store? If you use voice commands on your cell or speed dial, is that worse than flipping the channels on a CB? Why have states and municipalities been so quick to ban drivers from using cellphones and never banned the use of CB radios?
    What is so different about holding a cellphone to one's ear while driving (banned) vs. holding a mike to one's mouth (allowed)? Why is it that one can drive and talk on a CB, or to the passenger sitting next to him, or to anyone else in the country if he/she has a Bluetooth dongle stuck in the ear, but can't drive and talk into a cellphone?

The danger of dialing and texting while driving is obvious, as is the danger of any activity that takes the driver's eyes off the road for more than a second. But is the danger of cellphone use while driving so critical that it should be banned? Have the laws that permit the use of a hands-free device missed the mark because the real danger is in one losing focus on driving and concentrating on the conversation at hand?

I think the current laws that prohibit a driver from holding a cellphone and talking on it, yet allow the driver to talk on the cell via Bluetooth or speakerphone, are stupid and ineffective. Compounding the stupidity is that police officers (at least in my jurisdiction) are not allowed to ticket anyone for that violation unless they are being stopped for another reason. I hate laws that are illogical. Either ban cellphone use entirely while driving, and allow police officers to make arrests for violators, or throw the law out. I'm no angel in this matter. I talk on the phone while driving. But I keep the conversation short and I keep focused on my driving. If I have to make a call, I use speed dial, and only when safe, as at a light or stop sign. If driving and cellphone use was completely banned, I'd willingly comply. But why have half-a$$ed, ineffective laws that only ban holding the phone while driving?
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    Samsung Alias 2--as of 5/19/2009
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon for me,
    Feedback Score
    Well, I d/k but I have a CB radio in each of my three vehicles and I enjoy transmitting though I listen way more than I talk.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Nobody is trying to dial a phone number on the CB -- even in terms of changing the channel, in general you'd just leave it on channel 19. Holding onto a mic is much less contorted than holding the phone handset up to your ear too. The big problem with the phone up to the ear, people doing this (this includes me!) do not turn their head and don't look in the blind spots like they do when they aren't on the phone. In general, CB is one-to-many so there's much less talking and much more listening than on a regular phone call too.

Overall, though, cell phone laws are stupid. People talking on the phone in general don't pay attention and SHOULD be ticketed! If you were honest Lenagainster, you've certainly done something stupid because you were on the phone and not paying attention! (I've noticed it myself -- I admit to have been on the phone now and again, I haven't had any close calls as far as I know but my driving is definitely poorer.) But, quite simply the police should strictly enforce distracted driving laws which are already on the books (which they now don't do at all), if someone is distracted by cell phone, hands free or not, by CB, by putting on lipstick while they drive, they are trying to eat a messy sub while they drive -- that should be a ticket. A seperate law is completely superfluous and is in fact illogical. What's next, instead of ticketing jaywalkers (at least ones crossing busy intersections...), make up a "jaywalking while on a cell phone" law?

Device(s)
    HTC ONE M9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I'd bet most of the accidents caused by cellphone use happen when people are dialing, looking at / reading a keypad or screen, scrolling thru contact lists, texting ect ....
    Using a CB doesn't require any of this, & even changing the channel is more similar to changing the FM radio station on the car radio or lowering the Air Conditioner setting a notch . ..
    Once a cellphone user is 'in a voice call' , he/she is probably just a little safer than when dialing/texting/reading/scrolling ...
    "I'm All In!"

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone : Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ive used both.
    big difference unless you use voicedial via speakerphone and are talking to static with the occasional short coversation.
    cbs are mostly informationally used while phones are mostly used for conversation.
    that being said,cbs,fm radios,a cup of soda,a yelling child,a bee flying in your window can also cause an accident but stats prove them less likely than cellphones
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16