Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

AT&T Switching to GSM

So far it looks like that in Montana that AT&T will be switching to GSM rather then keep the CDMS towers in place. Following is an article from Great Falls, MT.

AT&T is now the owner of Alltel Wireless in Montana.

The purchase, which was announced last year, was finalized this week.

However, there won't be many immediate changes for current Alltel customers.

It will take about a year for AT&T to complete work needed to convert the Alltel networks to AT&T's GMS mobile broadband network, said AT&T spokeswoman Brooke Burgess.

Once that happens, subscribers will need to use handsets that are compatible with that network. Handsets used with Alltel's current network won't be compatible once the switch occurs.

The Montana purchase is part of 79 service areas nationwide that AT&T bought from Verizon. Verizon announced it would buy Alltel in January 2009, but was required by the U.S. Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission to sell some of those markets in areas, including Montana, where competition is lacking.

The sale means that Montana subscribers eventually will be able to use the popular iPhone.

Until then, current Alltel customers will not see changes to their phone numbers, rate plans, contracts or billing, Burgess said.

And expect to continue to see "Chad," the Alltel spokesman featured in broadcast commercials, pitching the company's services.

"In the longer term, we anticipate rolling out AT&T advertising in these (the new) markets," Burgess said.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/art...SINESS/6240305

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There's nothing in this at all that is news to anyone who has been following these forums... It's been pretty well known what'll happen for awhile

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Actually, they will lay it over with UTMS aka 3g.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yea! Thanks for posting the local information for Montana. It is nice to see it "officially" announced locally. I live in Minnesota where it is Verizon that is being divested to AT&T. AT&T Currently only has Edge or (gasp) GPRS here. It will be nice to FINALLY have 3G in the rural parts of the state when AT&T puts new equipment on the previous Verizon towers.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The CDMA network will remain operational for 3 years per AT&T's agreement with Verizon. However, ALL current Alltel customers that are part of the AT&T purchase will be transitioned to AT&T UMTS handsets within 12 months. The CDMA network will only be used for roaming. AT&T will not rebrand these markets until 2011 and for now as far as customers are concerned we are Alltel and will continue to sell Alltel products and services, including new CDMA handsets.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, I have been waiting a long time to hear this news. I have a summer ranch home in rural Nevada corresponding to this area being taken over now by ATT: (NV RSA 5 (CMA 547): Lincoln, White Pine)
    Currently most people in the small town of Lund, Nevada have Verizon service and get some coverage in town, though it's weak and spotty. Should we be switching to ATT now to get the best coverage? My ATT contract is actually up and I was going to switch to Verizon, but now that this transfer is going to take place "over the next 12 months" should I be sticking with ATT? I've always wished I could locate the cell tower near Lund, Nevada to see if a yagi antenna might help pull signal, but alas, I'm now kind of confused as to which service provider I should go with for my next 2 year contract.

Any thoughts?

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund View Post
    So, I have been waiting a long time to hear this news. I have a summer ranch home in rural Nevada corresponding to this area being taken over now by ATT: (NV RSA 5 (CMA 547): Lincoln, White Pine)
    Currently most people in the small town of Lund, Nevada have Verizon service and get some coverage in town, though it's weak and spotty. Should we be switching to ATT now to get the best coverage? My ATT contract is actually up and I was going to switch to Verizon, but now that this transfer is going to take place "over the next 12 months" should I be sticking with ATT? I've always wished I could locate the cell tower near Lund, Nevada to see if a yagi antenna might help pull signal, but alas, I'm now kind of confused as to which service provider I should go with for my next 2 year contract.

Any thoughts?
    I left you some info in the other thread you posted in. As for the tower serving Lund, I believe it's on Ward Mountain.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cclay25 View Post
    The CDMA network will remain operational for 3 years per AT&T's agreement with Verizon. However, ALL current Alltel customers that are part of the AT&T purchase will be transitioned to AT&T UMTS handsets within 12 months. The CDMA network will only be used for roaming. AT&T will not rebrand these markets until 2011 and for now as far as customers are concerned we are Alltel and will continue to sell Alltel products and services, including new CDMA handsets.
    Will they flip the switch to GSM all at once or will it be flipped on in areas? Alltel has several new towers that are being planned in MT one of them less then half mile from my house... I hope AT&T keeps all these plans in place.