Thread: Amazing transformation

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score

Amazing transformation

(From some old folks perspective)
    I had been the one pushing for a 'cell phone only' household, but the BH was reluctant to give up the convenience of having a phone in every room. I wanted to rid ourselves of the constant calls from telemarketers but the BH didn't want to inconvenience friends and family with changing a phone number we have had for over 40 years. I wanted to save money on our outrageous phone bill but the BH was reluctant to give up the reliability of a copper landline. Then a hurricane came through a few years ago and we were without power for six days. None of the cordless phones worked and rather than dig out the one corded phone we kept around for such emergencies, we relied on our cellphones to keep in touch. That loosened the illogical attachment to the copper wires, and allowed me to experiment with VoIP. Kept our same number but dropped our phone bill from $45 plus, to around $16, with more features than one could imagine. Was able to filter out most, but not all, telemarketers. Not the reliability of copper, a few outages, occasional noise, but hey, we had our cellphones for a backup. Then I discovered a phone system that links cellphones with the house phone via Bluetooth. Now we could answer incoming calls on the house line and the linked cells from anywhere in the house. The BH was happy with that. We started using our cells more and the landline less. Eventually, we agreed to drop the landline and just use the cells. Saves some confusion. One number, one person. When the landline rings, who's it for? When the cell rings, we know who it's for. Then, recently, we got a new cellphone, and after much hairpulling, swapping cellphones, and trying everything imaginable, found that the new Bluetooth system was no longer compatible with the Bluetooth on the house phones. In desparation, we ordered an Xlink from Amazon with same day shipping. It was horrible. Noisy, did not transmit Caller ID information, and kept ringing three or more times after the caller hung up. What to do? Almost to the point to succumb to reinstalling a (ugh) landline. Amazingly, the BH decided to try to go with just the cellphone. Got reception in the basement and everywhere else in the house. We would take advantage of conditional call forwarding, so that if one missed a call, it would be transferred to the other cell. And then came the eye-opening statements that made me realize that the BH had finally accepted 21st Century technology. "I'm not going to worry about missing a few calls. When we only had a landline, we would miss calls whenever we weren't home." "Now that we have our cells with us most of the time, so what if we miss a few calls here and there. I'm not going to be tied to answering the phone every time it rings. That's what voicemail is for." Didn't waste any time packaging up the Bluetooth phone system and bringing it back to Costco, where I got a full, no hassle refund. Amazon took back the Xlink, paid for the return shipping, the full purchase price, and even refunded the expedited shipping cost. It's weird, after all these years, not having any cordless phones sitting around in almost every room. It's peaceful, not having any telemarketers calling.

Now to try to teach the BH the convenience of text messaging.....................................
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    Bh?

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elgee02 View Post
    Bh?

Better Half (Big Hunk?)