Thread: Possible to buy used Airave and use without activating?

Feedback Score

Possible to buy used Airave and use without activating?

Sprint won't give me a free Airave (I'm on SERO and I think that's part of it). I've resigned myself to that for now.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if a used Airave might be reliably expected to *just work* after plugging it into my network, without actually activating it and paying for the service. I've read about this happening (can't find the link right now, but I'll post it if I do).

Does anyone know how this works? Does the unit just need to have been activated at some point?

I guess I would break down and pay the $5/month if I had to, but I'd really rather not, seeing as how some people have gotten the unit and the service for free, legitimately.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The airave has to be tied to SOMEONES account. As long as it is tied to someones account, and is paying the $5 to run it, and it is set to open, it will work.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Weird, I just got it a couple weeks ago and I'm on the SERO 500 plan. I wonder if you might have success if you tried again?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Being on a SERO plan is not why you are getting a free airave, it has to do with you credit class, and how may lines of service you qualify for. The airave actually creates a new line of service on your account. My guess is that your account is set up as ASL, account spending limit, request to have a review of you account type.

Feedback Score
    They will not GIVE you an Airave if their signal strength maps show your residence to have decent coverage.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint gave me an Airave even though the maps show good signal strength. I live in an old stucco house with a metal roof down in a canyon. I got a free Airave and free (credited) service. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamb View Post
    They will not GIVE you an Airave if their signal strength maps show your residence to have decent coverage.
    That would be a fine way to make such a decision if their coverage maps are accurate, but I can assure you that they are not.

Feedback Score
    The maps they have at "retentions" are very correct. They may not be the maps you normally see. The retention reps can see where every cell site is around your neighborhood. If you get a nice friendly retention rep, they will discuss it with you and they will be correct. You may get a FREE Airave if you live in a decent coverage area if your story is good enough and the retention rep believes you.
    Just too bad that the "good" mapping does not flow through to the on-Line maps the public can see.

Sprint DOES have excellent maps showing their coverage, but they are not generally released to the public and not even to all employees.

Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    What is the current free/vs charge for these devices?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I believe there is no longer any charge to use an Airave because they no longer support the older models (which originally had the $5 charge) and the newer models are sent out free with no monthly charge to qualified customers.

Is there anyone still paying a monthly charge for one?
    Sprint user since 1997

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You can buy one and activate it on Ting for $6 per month, if you need one that badly.