Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dell Streak: $500 unlocked in US, available next month!!! Android 2.1!

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Dell Streak: $500 unlocked in US, available next month!!! Android 2.1!

Awesome news, $500, unlocked, direct from Dell.com and Android 2.1!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/d...month/#close=1

We've just learned at D8 today that Dell will be offering the Streak to US customers direct from its website -- unlocked -- starting next month for $500. That's later than the June 4 date that UK customers will be enjoying, but it's earlier than it could've been -- Dell had merely been giving "later this Summer" guidance previously. More on this as it develops!
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...month-for-500/

We told those pesky grey marketers that they’d better get a move on if they were hoping to make a few quick bucks importing the Dell Streak into the U.S. Today at D8, Dell announced that it will be bringing its gargantuan 5″ Android smartphone/tablet to the U.S. on or around the end of July. At that time, $500 will get you unlocked Streak complete with a 5″ WVGA display, 5 megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, 16GB of internal memory, 7.2Mbps HSDPA, and 1GHz Snapdragon processor and Android 2.1. It will be available directly from dell.com

Device(s)
    Pharos Traveler 137
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    There was a rumor awhile back that this would have tmo 3g, anyone know if the unlocked version will have tmo3G?

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    AndroidCentral article says Dell would be selling it unlocked both T-Mobile and AT&T versions.

http://www.androidcentral.com/unlock...available-july

Device(s)
    P4000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It looks like the perfect device to either replace or fill the market need between the iPhone and iPad.
    And iWantit
    Take care,
    Craig

Feedback Score
    Probably sell my Nexus One (ATT Version) for a Dell Streak when it releases in the US.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G[S]
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am super excited about this phone. I am hoping that when it gets bumped to 2.2 we can tether with it without ATT's drama.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-i607
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well I was seriously thinking about this phone, but now that AT&T doesn't do unlimited data anymore and T-Mo doesn't have acceptable coverage it is a no go. Why did AT&T have to drop their unlimited data? Hell if I could go with out their data at all I might be ok even. But it is unlimited or nothing.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    go get your unlimited data now while they still have it and youll be grandfathered and can use it on your Streak.

Feedback Score
    I got switched from $10 MEdiaNet Unlimited to the $30 Smartphone Unlimited as "a favor" by AT&T just yesterday. I guess they knew I wanted to get a Dell Streak so they thought they'd get me prepared by switching me. LOL

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by koolin View Post
    Awesome news, $500, unlocked, direct from Dell.com and Android 2.1!!!
    As far as I know BGR is wrong about 2.1. Dell has been saying they will be doing 2.2 later this year. They have never said they would have it done by the time they release in the US and the latest release dates being talked about are in July. Expect it to be still 1.6.

Of course, given that it has been rooted already I would expect 2.2 ROMs to be available long before the official release. The hardware is pretty similar to the Nexus so it should not be difficult to port 2.2 over.
    bj - HTC Magic 32A - Rooted - CM6-Minimou [2.2]

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson11 View Post
    I am super excited about this phone. I am hoping that when it gets bumped to 2.2 we can tether with it without ATT's drama.
    Google has already stated that the tethering available in 2.2 will be a carrier disableable feature. Of course I am not sure how this will play out if you get it direct from Dell. As well with root you can always install "Tether for Root users" and use that. No way in hell I am paying an additional service fee, on top of the data charge, to tether. At the moment, my carrier has officially blessed tethering but that could change any time.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by koolin View Post
    go get your unlimited data now while they still have it and youll be grandfathered and can use it on your Streak.
    I just spoke with Att CS, if you have an unlimited data plan right now and will be doing a lateral transfer from smartphone to smartphone you get to keep your unlimited data. He did mention that they cannot guarentee unlocked phones that their systems do not recognize will keep the unlimited data plan after the transfer. In his own way he also confirmed that Dell is releasing a handset at some point for ATT. I know this is info that maybe some of you know but for those that don't....

I really hope the unlimited data plan stick when Dell released the Streak on their website. I don't know who will release first but my money is on Dell!!

Device(s)
    Main Use: iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just finished watching/reading the Engadget review. Overall, the Streak is pretty impressive. Just when I thought I could hold out for the possible slew of tablets coming out between now and Q4, this review got me interested again. That is, until I got to the sections regarding QuickOffice and FM radio. First, the included QuickOffice can view .doc and .xls files, but can't edit them. Second, no FM radio? Why not? Oh, and no contacts pictures? Not that big of a deal to not have contact photos, but why the step backwards on a device that's supposed to be moving forward?

The way I decide if I want a new device is by comparing it to my current one and seeing if there are enough new features to warrant replacing it. So far, my year-old TP2 can still outperform the Dell Streak, albeit with a smaller screen.
    CURRENT ITEMS FOR SALE:

My feedback thread

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    @Sir Topas - I definitely feel your pain about the FM Radio, I wish they included that. I love live radio. In regards to office docs, although QuickOffice is just a viewer, there is DocumentsToGo which is pretty much on every mobile platform and is pretty solid. The contact pictures is actually a limitation of Android 1.6. There is a workaround that can be found if you do a quick Google search but personally, not something I'd want to go through just to get pictures on my contacts.

Despite all that, loved that Engadget review, I will definitely be getting this device.
    Phone History

Device(s)
    tp2
    Carrier(s)
    tmo
    Feedback Score
    I need this phone man

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast