Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dell Streak: $500 unlocked in US, available next month!!! Android 2.1!

Device(s)
    Dell Streak NA US 3G on Fido
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Oh it's much worse, i just didn't want to rant. so now I will a little.

With the battery dying so frequently you're stuck running around with the proprietary cable/adapter and it's not a quick charge either.
    It doesn't have proper native speech to text either.
    On speakerphone people say you sound like you're speaking with a piece of paper in front of your mouth.
    Does this weird thing when receiving a call the whole screen blinks.. you have to catch it inbetween blinks. Not everyone experiences this. Likely firmware related.
    Believe it or not that ear speaker slot is kinda sharp. While rubbing the monstrosity around your ear for perfect placement you get a little ear burn.
    Menu items are very very thin, with 5inches of real estate who knows why. But you often find yourself not pressing or misspressing stuff.
    It's hard to hold. I'm 6'2 with larger than average hands. I had tons of difficulty holding it and the material isn't nonslip. So you're forever in fear of dropping the damn thing.
    Camera button response is slow as all hell.
    While in a call.. sometimes you can't end it. It randomly decides not to register your keypress. You have to give it a couple taps and it will. Or reselect the call screen and then press end. Lots of fun if you're trying to hang up before an answering machine beep.
    Speaker is on back of phone beside battery cover.. guess what. no stand so if its set down without being propped up.. you hear muffled music of almost nothing if on speakerphone.
    menu buttons on bottom are so swell.. that while you're trying to hold it .. you randomly press them.
    I could probably go on.. but you get the gist.

Given all that.. if it were running 2.2 i'd perhaps buy it again. my acquisition cost was much higher than the 500usd retail next week. so thats part of the reason I sold it. I'm thinking and hoping for some sorta moto 4.3inch phone or eyeing the htc evo 4g. I need ATT 3G/Rogers 3G though.
    *Crackle* Hello? *Crackle* Hello? Can you hear me now?

Feedback Score
    I would rather get a factory unlocked version than one under a contract. Yay! I just learned that timtechs finally has it available and it's the factory unlocked version I need. I super adore this device! Two thumbs up to Dell

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fairen View Post
    I would rather get a factory unlocked version than one under a contract. Yay! I just learned that timtechs finally has it available and it's the factory unlocked version I need. I super adore this device! Two thumbs up to Dell
    There will be no contract through dell.. it is being sold factory unlocked. For 500...

Feedback Score
    How would you describe the reception on the Streak, say compared to the Nokia 6682. Both for signal and call voice quality. I am tempted by this phone but I am in a marginal signal area and if it isnt good at making and recieving calls then it probably wont work well w/o an extender. Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wdst View Post
    How would you describe the reception on the Streak, say compared to the Nokia 6682. Both for signal and call voice quality. I am tempted by this phone but I am in a marginal signal area and if it isnt good at making and recieving calls then it probably wont work well w/o an extender. Thanks
    Compared to the voice quality on the 6682 the Dell Streak is garbage. The speakerphone on the 6682 is light years better than the Streak. But to be fair the iPhone 2G/3G/3GS doesn't compare and nor is the E71 as good as the 6682's speakerphone. In normal handset mode the streak fairs ok if you can properly place the ultra small ear slit directly over your ear canal. Slightly to the left or right results in your not hearing the caller almost at all. Most complaints were from callers while I was on Speakerphone, though in handset mode I recall being told I sounded muffled/distant unless I held the mouthpiece close to my face while lying down.

As other reviewers have stated, the Streak is just fine if you plan on using a bluetooth headset.

Regarding reception you'll find that if you're moving to the 850mHz band it is much better. Areas that you previously did not have reasonable service improve significantly. Though this is not completely across the board. Some spots may remain shoddy. I had no complaints about the units reception, I was pleased with it. Though it seems to take up quite a bit of battery on standby if you look at the battery usage app.

I think I'm going to give the HTC HD2 a go instead.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. If it isnt really good as a phone then it may not work, will have to take a look at the phone when its introduced. Its kinda hard to belive but if used simply as a phone my old Nokia is as good or better than anything out there right now. I am tempted by the Droid X if Verizon introduces a lower tier data plan, its supposed have great reception and voice quality. Was it awkward carrying the thing around? (i.e that large a phone compared to a regular phone)

Device(s)
    Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So is the Streak a total fail? Was considering it but now I have serious reservations after reading all these negatives.

Also, anyone know if AT&T will change your data plan if you purchase an unlocked version?

Device(s)
    Main Use: iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Dell Streak is officially NOT supported for T-Mobile (especially AWS bands): http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/07/d...r-tmobile.html
    CURRENT ITEMS FOR SALE:

My feedback thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jplusc View Post
    I am super excited about this phone. I am hoping that when it gets bumped to 2.2 we can tether with it without ATT's drama.
    Well I was seriously thinking about this phone, but now that AT&T doesn't do unlimited data anymore and T-Mo doesn't have acceptable coverage it is a no go. Why did AT&T have to drop their unlimited data? Hell if I could go with out their data at all I might be ok even. But it is unlimited or nothing.

Device(s)
    Nexus, Streak, 3GS, BB 8800, BB 8310(x2), iPhone, BB 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm using a Streak on Rogers and really enjoying it. It is a little big, but the screen is fantastic. If you use your 'phone' more for data then as a phone this is a pretty spectacular device. Wish it had a newer version of Android (which it looks like it is going to get), but 1.6 is definitely serviceable and some of the extras that Dell included are actually not bad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
    So is the Streak a total fail? Was considering it but now I have serious reservations after reading all these negatives.

Also, anyone know if AT&T will change your data plan if you purchase an unlocked version?
    Looks like it won't be unlocked. Rather disappointing. Only bloatware would make it worse.
    http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl...customers.aspx

If you have one of those cheaper non-smartphone unlimited data plans, you're better off holding off for now. I think non-ATT versions of the Nexus One and the X10 have been triggering data plan upgrades.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ya delay launch and no unlocked, Dell killed this phone all on their own, EPIC FAIL.

Device(s)
    Blackberry torch 9800
    Carrier(s)
    (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The dellstreak will not be available at AT&T stores. Starting Friday at Dell.com/mobile. Unless you registered for the pre-sale."
    http://twitter.com/LionelatDell/status/20940632450

Device(s)
    Xperia ZL, iPhone 5c, LG Optimus T, Moto Defy+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless,
    Feedback Score

Dell Streak "unlocked" version and using AT&T MediaNet unlimited

Now that the Dell Streak is out, can anyone help report back using an AT&T sim card with MediaNet unlimited?

Does this setup work on the Dell Streak for data access?

Thanks.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    anyone have the Streak for sale unlocked? I would love to purchase one.
    From Canada!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast