Thread: What Do You Think of Comcast's High Definition?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What Do You Think of Comcast's High Definition?

Come on guys, let's get some discussion going on in here!

What do you all think about Comcast's High Definition?

I've heard that they compress it more than, let's say, DirecTV does. Do you notice that?

What about Comcast's On Demand selection? Do you like the amount of High Definition that is available?

Have you switched to Comcast, or left Comcast because of their High Definition?

Just trying to get some discussion on Comcast in here..

Device(s)
    funny fone 5000
    Carrier(s)
    crap corp k
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There's a noticeable different between Comcast & DirecTV HD. Some Comcast channels/movies even vary with the amount of compression it seems... that is when the dish doesn't flake out.

Remember that Comcast commercial "who gets a dish in the city of wind"? It's cheesy but kinda holds true.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jagermon View Post
    There's a noticeable different between Comcast & DirecTV HD. Some Comcast channels/movies even vary with the amount of compression it seems... that is when the dish doesn't flake out.

Remember that Comcast commercial "who gets a dish in the city of wind"? It's cheesy but kinda holds true.
    So, do you think DirecTV's, or Dish's, High Definition quality is a lot better than Comcast? Would it change your decision on choosing providers?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Around here, everyone who uses a dish service complains that their reception sucks when it rains, so its a non-starter for me. I am happy enough with Comcast's high def, but that is at least partially because I don't have anything to compare it to, except Comcast standard def tv, and its definitely better than that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tmason68 View Post
    Around here, everyone who uses a dish service complains that their reception sucks when it rains, so its a non-starter for me. I am happy enough with Comcast's high def, but that is at least partially because I don't have anything to compare it to, except Comcast standard def tv, and its definitely better than that.
    I had DirecTV and Dish Network in Ohio and it rains prob 75 percent of the time, If the dish is configured properly (most lazy-a** installers dont take the time to do it), it will only go out when it rains so hard you can barely see across the street ,then it's usually only for a minute or two. My cable had outages that lasted longer than that (Thanks Time Warner!)

Now here in AZ i dont have Comcast, but i do notice a difference in Cable HD vs DirecTV even with Cox out here, it's the same situation my friends have in SF Bay with Comcast, they over-compress it so they can fit more down their narrow pipe. My DirecTV has a much brighter and crisp picture when compared to cable, even on the same TV.

The new DirecTV Slimline dishes are higher-powered so they actually do much, much better in rain because the old issue with them was they were not powered enough to talk back to the dish in space, and the moisture in the clouds could block them, since going to a Slimline last year, even the house in Ohio has not had an outage once, and that was even in a couple of hellatious snowstorms.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I notice that some of the syndicated shows (like Wheel of Fortune, Oprah) resized/compressed/(or something)... Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy have black bars (instead of the colored ones) on the side. I only have limited basic where I can get broadcast HD channels. Network programming and local news show normal. I had OTA and I compared the one or 2 channels I could get to it (here, FOX and PBS) and they look the same to me (too bad I couldn't compare the CBS channel here, though).

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    The new DirecTV Slimline dishes are higher-powered so they actually do much, much better in rain because the old issue with them was they were not powered enough to talk back to the dish in space, and the moisture in the clouds could block them, since going to a Slimline last year, even the house in Ohio has not had an outage once, and that was even in a couple of hellatious snowstorms.

DirecTV and Dish are one way. They don't "talk back" to satellites. The talk back channel for the settop box to order PPV etc is via a landline phone or a broadband connection

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    the newer receivers can actually do talking back somewhat, that's how my receivers report problems to directv and the know that my system needs something done to it, and also it's how the interactive channel works on Dtv. It's not terribly high speed, but it can be done with the newer setups

I think they tie the PPV ordering to a landline to help make sure the boxes are in the correct location (eg someone not starting an account and taking a box or two to a buddys house so they can split the bill)

Device(s)
    LG-G6, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm satisfied w. Comcast HD. We have it both in Okld and Miami. Some events seem better - like live sports - but that probably has more to do w. the original source than Comcast.
    Might consider switching IF I can determine one of the sat. services is cheaper. (Switch in Okld - can't in condo in Miami.) I guess when xfinity comes, we can get rid of one of the Miami DVRs.

We have 2 HD DVRs in Miami, one in Okld and have basic internet service from them in both places.

...mike
    Last edited by mikethaler; 07-15-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $175/mo. We have had no landline in more than 17 years.