Page 20 of 296 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: LTE Markets/Rollout Official Discussion

Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    47 more days til launch, awesome

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post

I can't tell from the pics...but are the larger antennas on the lower sector of this tower in OKC the same as the LTE panels in your pic?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm liking all these LTE tower pics! Quick question for you genius's. Why are so many of the antenna racks like the one above shaped in a triangle? Why not have the antenna's in a circle?

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    I'm liking all these LTE tower pics! Quick question for you genius's. Why are so many of the antenna racks like the one above shaped in a triangle? Why not have the antenna's in a circle?
    I'm no expert, I'm just a geek. that said, I'd assume it has to do with where they are trying to beam the signal. The "triangle" is divided into sectors which serve a very specific area. You don't want antennas all the way around in a lot of cases. This could cause too many dominant sites in a certain area. again, this is a guess.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Yes i love cell site pics too. What are you are seeing is sectors of (or cells really) of a cell site. Cell sites are typically setup with 3 sectors (or cells) on a site (for a provider). Reason being is that this adds more capacity to the site and may also have more directional reach (antennas being directional). You probably wouldn't want more smaller sectors as that would be more chaotic in a number of ways.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyD View Post
    I can't tell from the pics...but are the larger antennas on the lower sector of this tower in OKC the same as the LTE panels in your pic?
    Well, I am thinking no. All the 4G panels here in Kentucky (and Nashville) are wider than what I see in yours, and if I am not mistaken, I beleive they also have tiny writing on the bottom. However, Verizon uses many panel types, so I rule nothing out. If those panels are new and on a Verizon site, theres your tip-off right there. Nothing on the tower you showed me resembles any Verizon panel I have ever seen personally, but I know they all look different depending on region. If you know this is a Verizon site, and those bottom panels are new, I would have to say those are LTE panels.

If you arent sure if it is a Verizon site, maybe these pictures can help you identify it IF IF IF they use the same panels they do in my neck of the woods:
    This is the tower before the LTE upgrade. I tried to draw what the panels look like:

Now, here is another 4G site in Louisville with the new LTE panel circled. Note the same 1X and 3G antennas as seen in the last pic:

So if you see those panels on a tower around you, that could be Verizon. If not, I would go on and assume the tower pic you posted is Verizon with new LTE panels, especially if your DB readings are low! Cmon 4G!

Feedback Score
    Food for thought: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...onsumer-Trials

I thought set-up pictures for fixed LTE wireless broadband service would have been a hot topic.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is a site in OKC that I'm 100% certain is an LTE site. It's right across the street
    from a VZW corporate store. My engineer buddy told me this was one of the first
    LTE sites built in the area.

Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    42 days and Indianapolis will be lit up at least, skip WiMax. I'll have a couple super fast (28) aircards and eventually Droids. 11/15/10 is after my birthday, I could give up my Imagio/Incredible for them

Device(s)
    Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/10/pr2010-10-04d.html

Verizon Wireless will hold a news conference during CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010. Lowell McAdam, president and chief operating officer of Verizon, will detail the company’s major 4G LTE network launch.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...-of-this-year/

Saw this over in another thread. Although Trocks797 has pics of LTE panels in Louisville, it doesn't look like we're making the official list of switched on cities by end of 2010. I have faith though that VZW will be first in the area - the likelihood of Sprint actually beating Verizon to 4G in this area is virtually non-existent.

T-Mobile has HSPA in most areas around here, but the backhaul is dogged slow. Friend with a TP2 on TMO shows mobile speed tests slower than my EVDO even running at 1X which is pretty ridiculous. AT&T speed tests are really good and I might say somewhat better than Verizon wherever it's available. However, neither AT&T or T-Mobile 3G are available on virtually any highway or road heading out of town - unlike Verizon which is everywhere. Verizon has the coverage to keep me around with speeds that are "fast enough".

--Kidd
    Last edited by AlexKidd1977; 10-06-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Minor grammar changes & clarification
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / On YouTube: @AlexKidd4Fun

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I had to LOL a bit at the airport list (38 cities and 60 airports) -- this may not be a big surprise, but basically almost all those airports are just ones within the 38 cities already covered. The two airports I found listed NOT in already listed cities are in Kansas City and Honolulu. Perhaps a few extra in California, I don't know the geography enough to tell if for instance Bob Hope airport in Burbank would be covered by the LA deployment already.

Anyway, I'll be fascinated to see how these deployments behave under real user load. Hopefully they hold up to Verizon's claims, I'll be really chuffed if it does. Iowa City is a university town *and* along an interstate (I-80 -- I don't think I-380 really counts...) so hopefully we get LTE pretty early in 2011.

What will amuse me is.. well, with the current EVDO, Verizon says to expect 600kbps-1.4mbps, and a lot of people complain because they aren't reliably getting like 2mbps or more. I'll be amused if people get the odd burst to 40-50mbps (I saw a report of Verizon seeing over 50mbps during their trials..) and then complaining when they "only" get 5-12mbps most of the time

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't believe Indy isn't getting anything lol.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    told you guys about Oklahoma City

it's going to cover the entire metro at launch...including 'burbs...
    and it will launch mid November.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    sure fire way to know I've found an LTE site: Cox boxes in the cage. They are providing the fiber backhaul for Verizon's LTE network here. I got chased by a farmer today trying to get this picture. LOL

Page 20 of 296 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 70 120 ... LastLast