Thread: Extending Cell Phone Signal

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Extending Cell Phone Signal

Does anyone know if there is a way to extend my cell phone signal within my home without buying something for $200 or more? I have time warner high speed internet with a landline (that I would like to get rid of) and I also have a linksys wireless G router. I'm not sure how all this works but I was wondering if I could somehow use my internet connection to boost my signal on my cell phone. I just want to use my cell phone in my home without having to go outside to talk on the phone

Thanks

Marilene

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Costco sells a Vtech cordless phone system with Bluetooth for $99, recently (but not now) on sale for $79. You can link your cell to it with or without a landline. If you put the base and your cell in an area in the house where you get decent reception, then you can answer calls on all the handsets (4) throughout the house.
    Xlink sells the BT and the BTTN for $79 and $99 on Amazon. The BT links your cell to your house phones without a landline, the BTTN model incorporates the landline with up to three cells.
    GE makes a unit that sells for around $30 but the reviews are discouraging. The fact that you have to dial #1* before each outgoing call is a PIA.
    However, I have been having some problems with the Bluetooth connectivity on the Vtech phones and still in the process of trying to figure out what went wrong. Using the Vtech for almost a year with no issues. Got a newer cellphone and when I linked it up, it would drop calls and disconnect Bluetooth on its own. Right now, I've found that it seems to happen whenever the cell has a missed call stored. It drops BT every minute for about 15 seconds and then reconnects.
    I bought the Xlink BT to see if that works any differently, and it was worse than the Vtech. The house phones kept ringing for three or more rings after the unanswered incoming call was ended. It didn't transmit caller id. I couldn't upgrade the software because the program requires a 32 bit computer and mine is 64. My neighbor will kill me when she finds out I downloaded the XWizard program on her computer because I kept getting warnings "Don't do it!" since the program didn't pass muster with MS.
    I'd say your better choice would be to try out the Vtech Bluetooth phone system from a place that easily accepts returns if it doesn't work out.
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quick update: Did a
    Google search on "bluetooth missed calls" (which I couldn't do before I suspected that was the problem) and got some hits on folks running into the same snafu with their BT in their vehicles
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...node0?tstart=0

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow, I did not know that. Thank you so much for the info. I will check into it and see if I can get the Vtech system. I really appreciate the information. I just love new technology. :-)

thanks again
    M

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Extending Cell Phone Signal

I just bought this one below and one other extension at Amazon for 107.00. The base unit is only 69.99 extension is 37.

Vtech DECT 6.0 Black/White Expandable Cordless Phone System with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (LS6245)
    Last edited by marilene; 05-30-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Marlene, I'm still having some issues with the Vtech Bluetooth dropping out after the second ring (and subsequently losing the call). I suspect the fact that I had conditional call forwarding activated on the cellphone. That is supposed to forward the call to our other cellphone if it goes unanswered on the first cell. After having a friend call me, and count the rings, it seems like he hears two rings before my cell rings once. So the second ring I hear is the fourth one he hears and perhaps that is when the call is transferred and somehow causes Bluetooth to temporarily disconnect. Disabled conditional call forwarding and waiting for a few more calls to test it out and determine if that is the culprit.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Marlene, I noticed that you got the LS6245, perhaps a newer model than our DS6322-4. Hopefully the software is an upgrade and will be compatible with the newer Bluetooth software in the phones. We have given up trying to get the cellphones to work reliably with the Vtechs. At this point, I don't think there is anything we can do; the Vtechs we have are not upgradeable. We have been using these phones for about a year, first with a "landline" (VoIP) paired with one cellphone (Motorola W755) and then after dropping the landline, just one cellphone. It worked fine. Got an almost new Motorola W766 on eBay and activated that and set up Bluetooth. The disconnect problems started. Upgraded the software in the W766. Still problems. Made the fatal mistake of upgrading the software in the older W755. Then tried that phone, and it had problems with Bluetooth dropping out. Got out my trusty LG VX8700. Still had disconnect problems. Sometimes it seemed to be related to having a missed call. Then it would work for a while. Sometimes it would cut out after the second ring. Thought it might be related to conditional call forwarding. Eliminated that feature and it seemed to solve that problem. Then five minutes into a conversation, with the cell about a foot away from the base, talking on a house phone extension, and the Bluetooth just disconnected and the call was lost. Scoured the Vtech website for help. All I get is that BT was tested with the W755 and the W766 and should work. But it doesn't. We are fortunate to get good reception throughout the house, even in the basement. So it's just a matter of keeping the cellphone handy.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

extending cell phone signals

Lena:

Just a thought, Is there a battery backup for the vtech and have you checked it. I've noticed that stuff I use with a bluetooth that has a battery, either backup or otherwise, I get dropped on everything. I get know reception in my home at all for my phone unless I stand in certain places. I'm hoping that this might help but if not bought from amazon and they are good at refunding. I'll keep you posted on how the new one works.

If it doesn't work i'm thinking on calling verizon and telling them I'm wasting my money with them if I can't use my phone. Maybe they will give me an extender. Its not my fault my phone wont' work here, it is there fault. I'm not in a valley or an area with tall buildings. Im out in the open. Maybe they could strengthen their signal here.

PS. You could sell your old Vtech on ebay or amazon and purchase a new one. That is how I pay for all my new cell phones and other equipment.

talk soon

M

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Costco took back my old Vtech system and I got a full refund. Purchased in October 09, still had receipt (although some claim a receipt isn't necessary because Costco has all that stuff on their records). Packaged it nicely and the CS gal was happy. Since we are fortunate to get good reception throughout the house, even in the sub ground level basement, we don't plan to get another phone system. Just stick with our cells.
    An extender would only work if you can find a spot for that device where the reception is adequate.
    You're right about Amazon being good on returns. When dealing with this problem, I ordered an Xlink with same day shipping ($19). Tried it out and returned it the next day. Got a full refund from Amazon including the expedited shipping and return shipping.
    No separate battery backup for the Vtech system. Thing is, it was working fine from October, when I bought it, until I started using the newer phone. I'm sure it was an incompatibility thing. Maybe newer Vtechs have a fix for the Bluetooth, but how's one to know? Will go without a 'house' phone as long as we can stand it. My daughter and family do, and manage very well.
    Will be anxious to find out how a Bluetooth system works for you.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Got my new Vtech

Well I recieved the phone yesterday, hooked it up and got my first cell phone call this morning. It works great. so far it also extends my signal on my cell phone which was really bad in most parts of my home. I wish the vtech would let me access my telephone directory, but it does do caller ID.

So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

M

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marilene View Post
    Well...I wish the vtech would let me access my telephone directory, but it does do caller ID.
    If it's anything like the one I had, there is a way to copy your cellphone's contact list to the house phone directory. Does it via Bluetooth.