Thread: Dell Streak Official - O2 June, ATT September/"later this summer"

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Dell Streak Official - O2 June, ATT September/"later this summer"

A rehash of a lot of the info we already know but official from the horses mouth. A number of photo gallery's and a video, be sure to check the link.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/25/d...in-early-june/

Let's all feign surprise now, as Dell has just gone official with its worst kept, though perhaps sexiest, secret ever. The former Mini 5 has been christened the Streak and is launching at the beginning of next month. The UK will be getting the first bite at this cherry, with the rest of Europe following soon thereafter and the US a disappointingly distant third with a launch "later this summer." If you've been living under a (Round) Rock, this is Dell's big foray into the smartphone market: a 5-inch supersized Android handset, housing a 1GHz Snapdragon, a 5 megapixel cam, 16GB of built-in memory (expandable to 48GB via MicroSD) and a customized UI. Curiously, Dell's opting to market the Streak as "the ultimate portable tablet pc" and would prefer that this device, albeit fully equipped to carry out cellular calls like a phone, not be called a smartphone.

We got a chance to play with it during a briefing in London recently, and frankly, aside from the snazzier paintjob, there's nothing new to report. Just like the prototype unit we've previewed to exhaustion, the device on hand was running Android 1.6 and Dell's skinning team hadn't yet laid on the goodies that we've been promised. The battery is the same 1,530mAh cell as before, and we even managed to get the browser to crash in the exact same fashion that our own Streak exhibits on occasion. Now that's consistency. We're not being told the specific Android version that the Streak will ship with, but a couple of flavors are being mulled over right now. Till we get more info, we suggest sitting back, relaxing, and perusing the gallery below for the roaring red number that's currently on show. It won't be available at launch -- you can have any color so long as it's black -- but "a range of colors and designs" will swiftly follow to sate any aesthetic concerns. Video and full press release after the break.

Man they better have 2.1 at least if not 2.2 for ATT September, or else!

Another video on BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10146000.stm

still no price

just noticed they changed the text, in my rss it came up with

...US a disappointingly distant third with a launch around September time.
    ...US a disappointingly distant third with a launch "later this summer."
    Last edited by koolin; 05-25-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Holly Dell Streak content, blog post on Direct2Dell.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl...id-tablet.aspx

Android 2.2 with 10.1 Flash later this year!

7 min interview on Dell Streak - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ski1h...layer_embedded

Device(s)
    iPhone fOur
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What the F is this, a phone without talk capabilities??
    A 5 inch screen is not what i'm looking for. Maybe for a PDA.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    it has talk capabilities, they are just talking about how they want to market it more as a tablet.

an iPhone isnt also your PDA?!

Device(s)
    iPhone fOur
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Oh of course I use the trusty iPhone as a PDA,
    I was just commenting on how the Streak seems more like a PDA than a Tablet.
    Im just not sure how they are marketing this Dell product. Are they going to market it as a nice (huge) cell phone, or a "iPad killer"?

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    giant phone is giant

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Device(s)
    Pharos Traveler 137
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I like it, i'll wait and see till the end of the year if it truly gets android 2.2 and hardware flash. if it does I might have my self a new toy.

Device(s)
    Main Use: iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I haven't been so excited about a device since the last iPhone. However, early reviews suggest that the Dell Streak isn't the device that Dell is trying to position it as: a true tablet first, phone second. Some are saying that it is a really big, awkward phone first, and data device second (a few users actually deride the use of the word "tablet" to describe the Streak). It's possible that FroYo will change this a little, but these reports are confirming my fears that a 5" screen is still too small to be considered an effective tablet. That said, hopefully the 7" and 10" versions will indeed be true competitors to the iPad.

I wish there were more reviews out there!
    CURRENT ITEMS FOR SALE:

My feedback thread

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on what you want it for. I find the iPad too large and even worse too heavy for my primary use (mobile data access). 5" is about the limit of what will still fit in a shirt pocket (easily) or pants pocket (as long as they are not fashion jeans) or a reasonable sized belt case.

This is positioned as a smartphone replacement not a tablet. It may offer enough tablet (browsing experience) functionality to make the gap between smartphone and laptop small enough to eliminate the need for a MID (which has never really taken off in the mainstream). The iPad is a totable media consumption device... makes a great couch surfer... is way to heavy for one handed use (like for ebook reading). I would use one if someone gave me one, but I can't see buying a device that requires me to carry a gadget bag, since it does not offer me anything I want (usage scenario wise) over my subnote.

My usage scenario is : always with me (must be truly portable, able to be carried in pocket or belt case, no gadget bags), at least one days normal usage, phone function (as I only carry one device), solid data function (3G a must), biggest screen I can carry (5" is pretty much the limit), tweakable (Android is the most customisable mobile OS right now). I see this as a great upgrade from my current 3.2" smartphone and it fits my usage scenario really well.

Biggest concerns are battery life and root access.

A truly portable device is never going to have the same browsing real estate as a 10-12" screen (duh) so it is going to come down to what are your top priorities.
    bj - HTC Magic 32A - Rooted - CM6-Minimou [2.2]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjtheone View Post

This is positioned as a smartphone replacement not a tablet.
    I respectfully disagree. Several Dell employees have explicitly stated that this a supposed to be a data device first and a smartphone second. This device is being touted as an iPad alternative. It's even priced the same.

I was simply pointing out that the biggest criticisms thus far are in regards to the screen being too small. I do agree with you that being 5" instead of 10" makes the Dell Streak more pocketable, but others still complain that the Streak is too big to fit into most pockets, and that if it requires a bag anyway, it might as well be 10".

I'm totally in agreement with you about your other points.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm wonder how Att feels about having the Streak running against the Iphone?? Has anyone heard anything about it coming to Att or just having the bands to be used on it?? I desperately need an iphone replacement.
    Come on Verizon, release the Galaxy Note....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another mini review on the device from asia.cnet.com. According to the guy in the video there will be a state side release timeframe around July 9th on dell.com.

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/06/0...ands-on-video/
    Last edited by HIMgurl; 06-06-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: correct infro

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Topas View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Several Dell employees have explicitly stated that this a supposed to be a data device first and a smartphone second. This device is being touted as an iPad alternative. It's even priced the same.

I was simply pointing out that the biggest criticisms thus far are in regards to the screen being too small. I do agree with you that being 5" instead of 10" makes the Dell Streak more pocketable, but others still complain that the Streak is too big to fit into most pockets, and that if it requires a bag anyway, it might as well be 10".

I'm totally in agreement with you about your other points.
    A couple of points...

First off in Ron Garriques interview at D8 he is specifically asked about positioning... there is certainly some dancing in his answer but he basically says that he sees this replacing your smartphone and potentially offering a rich enough experience to negate the need to carry a tablet. Secondly I think Dell wants to both cash in on the tablet hype, tie this into the family with the larger tablets, use it to justify the price (as people are willing to pay $500+ for a tablet but expect their phone to be carrier subsidised), and deflect criticism that it is too large for a smartphone. In all the interviews I have heard directly from Dell (Ron, Lionel, and a couple of product managers) they have been very careful to call it terms like "data rich device" and never compare it directly to the iPad or claim it is an iPad replacement. Nor do they actually every claim it is a tablet.

Irregardless of what the official party line is a Dell (and they are fairly good at getting everyone to parrot the party line.... I used to work for Dell) I maintain this is positioned as a smartphone replacement, not a tablet like device. The usage model is shifting for smartphones. I certainly use the data features more than the voice features on my phone, as do many of the people I talk to.

If you apply the duck test it quacks like a large smartphone... :-)

People that are claiming that the screen is too small are disconnected from reality and the laws of physics... Until we get foldable screens, 5" is about the limit of what is pocketable. One of the main design criteria of this device was portability (like the Palm designs) so it had to fit into a shirt or jacket pocket. It is only too small if you really want a tablet for data consumption and are willing to carry it in a gadget bag. If that is your usage model then this in the wrong device for you and a 7-10" tablet is a better choice and Dell will be releasing both of those devices later this year.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HIMgurl View Post
    I'm wonder how Att feels about having the Streak running against the Iphone?? Has anyone heard anything about it coming to Att or just having the bands to be used on it?? I desperately need an iphone replacement.
    It was demoed by Ron Garriques at D8 on AT&T (you can clearly see this in the splash screen). It has not been confirmed that AT&T will be offering it subsidised but you will be able to buy it directly from Dell and use it on AT&T. He did not state the exact price/config but expect $499 for the device, dock and maybe a 16GB microSD card.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjtheone View Post
    A couple of points...

First off in Ron Garriques interview at D8 he is specifically asked about positioning... there is certainly some dancing in his answer but he basically says that he sees this replacing your smartphone and potentially offering a rich enough experience to negate the need to carry a tablet. Secondly I think Dell wants to both cash in on the tablet hype, tie this into the family with the larger tablets, use it to justify the price (as people are willing to pay $500+ for a tablet but expect their phone to be carrier subsidised), and deflect criticism that it is too large for a smartphone. In all the interviews I have heard directly from Dell (Ron, Lionel, and a couple of product managers) they have been very careful to call it terms like "data rich device" and never compare it directly to the iPad or claim it is an iPad replacement. Nor do they actually every claim it is a tablet.

Irregardless of what the official party line is a Dell (and they are fairly good at getting everyone to parrot the party line.... I used to work for Dell) I maintain this is positioned as a smartphone replacement, not a tablet like device. The usage model is shifting for smartphones. I certainly use the data features more than the voice features on my phone, as do many of the people I talk to.

If you apply the duck test it quacks like a large smartphone... :-)

People that are claiming that the screen is too small are disconnected from reality and the laws of physics... Until we get foldable screens, 5" is about the limit of what is pocketable. One of the main design criteria of this device was portability (like the Palm designs) so it had to fit into a shirt or jacket pocket. It is only too small if you really want a tablet for data consumption and are willing to carry it in a gadget bag. If that is your usage model then this in the wrong device for you and a 7-10" tablet is a better choice and Dell will be releasing both of those devices later this year.
    I definitely agree on the duck test!