Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Incredible: SD required for full functionality?

Feedback Score

Incredible: SD required for full functionality?

My daughter-in-law was talking to a rep at the Verizon store and they told her that an SD card is required for full functionality on the Incredible. They claimed it was needed to load ringtones and that it was treated differently from internal storage and that not all apps would work without it.

That sounded pretty bogus to me. Is there any truth in that?

thanks,
    hank

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HankB
    My daughter-in-law was talking to a rep at the Verizon store and they told her that an SD card is required for full functionality on the Incredible. They claimed it was needed to load ringtones and that it was treated differently from internal storage and that not all apps would work without it.

That sounded pretty bogus to me. Is there any truth in that?

thanks,
    hank
    Lemme see if I got this straight. Your daughter-in-law (who wants an SD card) told you that is what the VZW rep said? If an SD card is required, would you be the one paying for it? Ahem...

Sure...

-Frank

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S
    Lemme see if I got this straight. Your daughter-in-law (who wants an SD card) told you that is what the VZW rep said? If an SD card is required, would you be the one paying for it? Ahem...
    Ah... No. My DIL is considering an Incredible and was told (by a Verizon rep) that she also needs an SD card for full functionality. She doesn't particularly want or need an SD card and is wondering if one really is required for full functionality.

Apologies for the confusion.

Edit: No, I would not be paying for it. I'm just trying to clarify if it's really needed.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've read mixed reports of how the internal storage is mounted, the issue is if it's not mounted as /sdcard and some app is written to use /sdcard to cache data it won't have anywhere to write without an SD card installed.

It appears Verizon is offering a 2GB SD card with the phone to get around this issue for now. If you have the phone and no card yet you can call them up for it.

No need to clarify anything, your first post made perfect sense... I hope this was response was a little more useful then accusing your DIL of being a gold digger
    Matt

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I purchased my DInc. from customer service because of the long wait time in the store and on-line. before my phone was delivered, I went to the VZW store to look for accessories. I ended up buying a VZW holster ( sedio will soon have theirs out next week), and a 3-pack of screen protectors . The rep who sold me my items told me that they learned that an SD card was needed to transfer phone contacts, so if my phone did not ship with an sd card, stop back by the store and he would give me a 2 gig card. Vzw will provide free of charge. I already purchased an 8 gig card so it wasn't necessary. I also didn't need contact transfer either because I came from a blackberry and just synced everything to outlook and then to the DInc.
    Don

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lets see. What I know is that for the phone to function, you do not need an sd card. However, certain apps may require one to run.

The only app I have that wouldn't work without an sd card, an app I purchased was weather and toggle widget. All other apps functioned without one.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Some very large games download some of the texture files to the sd card so it does not take the memory that was so precious before the incredible.
    Drop box referal URL. Bonus space for us both Here!

Device(s)
    Droid razar, Incredible, Omnia, Dare
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have not found any phone function that requires sd card,
    though yes, some apps do require sd card.
    * I added sd card soon after receiving phone so I didnt explore all area's of phone without card in it.
    "Never argue with an idiot - they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HankB
    Edit: No, I would not be paying for it. I'm just trying to clarify if it's really needed.
    Sorry, no clarification needed. I was just kidding around. No offense intended.

-Frank

Device(s)
    N79-3 (White)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waynester58
    I have not found any phone function that requires sd card,
    though yes, some apps do require sd card.
    * I added sd card soon after receiving phone so I didnt explore all area's of phone without card in it.

I have found a phone function that requires the SD card. Bluetooth contact transfer requires it for some reason

Device(s)
    DROID by Motorola
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think I have a spare 32MB card laying around.
    >>Recent Cellular Phone History: ...Motorola RIZR Z6tv, LG VX9100 enV2, Apple iPhone 3G, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Apple iPhone 3GS, Motorola DROID, Google Nexus One, HTC Tattoo, Apple iPhone 4

Motorola Droid [Gingerbread GPA12 with 1.00Ghz_LV_V0.1.zip 450MHz/1GHz Interactive via Peter Alfonso]

Feedback Score
    Why on earth would you want a phone like this WITHOUT an SD card?

Device(s)
    N79-3 (White)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nmos
    Why on earth would you want a phone like this WITHOUT an SD card?
    Well it has 8Gb of onboard storage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone notice the phone now comes with a 2GB SD card?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JE78
    Anyone notice the phone now comes with a 2GB SD card?
    We stopped at the Verizon store to take another look at the Incredible. When asked, the store girl said that they will give you a 2GB SD card and pointed out specials on larger cards. I got the feeling that you have to ask for the 2GB card.

I got a chance to play with it a bit too. There could be an Incredible in my future as well.

Thanks all for the helpful replies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast