Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comcast 250 GB Bandwidth Limit

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Comcast 250 GB Bandwidth Limit

What do you think of Comcast's 250 GB bandwidth limit?

Does this bother you at all?

Have you ever hit the limit before?

I haven't hit the limit yet, at least not as far as I know. I'm not too worried about it, unless I know I'm going to be doing a lot of downloading. The one thing that worries me, is if there is IPTV coming out. I mean, right now we have YouTube, Hulu, etc, but if in the future we start streaming Live TV, even High Definition TV, we can easily hit that 250 GB cap. I mean, it would make sense that Comcast has that cap in this case because we could be watching TV on the Internet, instead of using their TV. But, if we're paying for Internet, I think it should be 'unlimited'.

What are your thoughts on this?

Device(s)
    Embarq ppc 6700 on verizon (lg vx8300 esn on it)
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by avenue
    What do you think of Comcast's 250 GB bandwidth limit?

Does this bother you at all?

Have you ever hit the limit before?

I haven't hit the limit yet, at least not as far as I know. I'm not too worried about it, unless I know I'm going to be doing a lot of downloading. The one thing that worries me, is if there is IPTV coming out. I mean, right now we have YouTube, Hulu, etc, but if in the future we start streaming Live TV, even High Definition TV, we can easily hit that 250 GB cap. I mean, it would make sense that Comcast has that cap in this case because we could be watching TV on the Internet, instead of using their TV. But, if we're paying for Internet, I think it should be 'unlimited'.

What are your thoughts on this?
    if you have the right kind of config from comcast you can posibly spoof your mac adress (on your nic card) and the 250gb cap will reset

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtp214
    if you have the right kind of config from comcast you can posibly spoof your mac adress (on your nic card) and the 250gb cap will reset
    Yeah, I know it's possible to get rid of the cap completely, along with getting higher speeds, but I'm not talking about anything illegal. I know it's possible though.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For me at least, I don't think they're really enforcing it, I've never gotten any calls or anything saying I download too much

Carrier(s)
    Sprint postpaid :(
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc0
    For me at least, I don't think they're really enforcing it, I've never gotten any calls or anything saying I download too much
    A friend of mine purchased an external USB hard drive. The following month he got a phone call and the sternly told him that he exceeded the 250Gig Cap. His usage for that month was 480Gb (no kidding).. so he was asked a few questions..

"do you download movies?"
    "yes I watch stuff on netflix and hulu. I also have 2 Xbox's 2 laptops and a desktop computer connected to my network and we game online all the time too"

"Is your network secured ?"
    "what do you mean ?? "

he played dumb. They told him that if he exceeded the cap again, he wouldnt get a phone call, they'd shut him off pernamently.

This was last summer.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Eventually, they'll have to raise the cap.

Internet content is going to become more and more mainstream, so Comcast and all other ISPs are going to have to up their pipelines to accommodate for the larger amount of data being transferred.

That said, I don't think we've ever come close. There are about 11 devices in my house that all connect to our network and they're typically always on connections. I'd say it's pretty hard. I do a lot of downloading, too.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlack
    Eventually, they'll have to raise the cap.

Internet content is going to become more and more mainstream, so Comcast and all other ISPs are going to have to up their pipelines to accommodate for the larger amount of data being transferred.

That said, I don't think we've ever come close. There are about 11 devices in my house that all connect to our network and they're typically always on connections. I'd say it's pretty hard. I do a lot of downloading, too.
    Yeah, I don't see them sticking with that cap. There are more bandwidth intensive applications around and more that will probably be coming out. People are using more and more data and I don't see how Comcast will be able to keep this limit.

Feedback Score
    I was going to comment on my usage but....I can't find it in my comcast online account information. Boy does their web site blow. Anyway, I download a decent amount of movies and last time I was able to find the meter I was no where near the limit. I think I was between 20-40 GB a month.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just signed up for DirecTV and I still have Comcast for internet. That being said, my DirecTV's onDemand service is via internet.. THAT is gonna cause me to hog some bandwidth LOL.. I'll let you all know if I bump off the cap hahahhahahaha

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMikey1975 View Post
    I just signed up for DirecTV and I still have Comcast for internet. That being said, my DirecTV's onDemand service is via internet.. THAT is gonna cause me to hog some bandwidth LOL.. I'll let you all know if I bump off the cap hahahhahahaha
    I have DirecTV On Demand with Comcast Internet too. I've downloaded a good amount of things each month, including some in HD, and I haven't have any problems yet. You shouldn't have any problems. I think they'll contact you before they shut off your service or anything. I don't know what Comcast is going to do when there is more IPTV and when more people choose Netflix streaming (especially HD streaming).

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I have DirecTV On Demand with Comcast Internet too. I've downloaded a good amount of things each month, including some in HD, and I haven't have any problems yet. You shouldn't have any problems. I think they'll contact you before they shut off your service or anything. I don't know what Comcast is going to do when there is more IPTV and when more people choose Netflix streaming (especially HD streaming).
    one of my co workers has a netflix account as well.. he streams netfilx to his PS3 AND 2 other TVs in his house LOL.. he's definitely using some bandwidth.. although he's not gotten the phone call yet..

(u should get on palringo sometime so I can tell you how I got my DirecTV stuff all connected.. its very exciting but off topic here LOL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    The directv stuff cannot be encoded at a very high bitrate, as i've been able to stream even HD content over a 768k connection with little lag, MPEG4 has very high compression, so i doubt you'd hit the cap with the DTV setup.

Now if you're downloading/seeding torrents like crazy then i could see it, but if you get shut off hell there's always fiber/dsl from the landline.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's kinda odd, but it doesn't scare me at all. This is my 1st full month with the usage meter and so far I have only used 13GB. The only scary prospect is me going back to 1.5Mb internet (no thanks CenturyLink). I do watch some HD programming on the network sites and on Youtube, but all is well so far.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    well 250gb is completely reasonable, so it shouldnt scare anyone unless they're doing something wrong. I mean, you see the speed cox communications is giving me in downtown phoenix, so even if they had a cap, there's no way i could ever hit it.

im trying out qwest dsl at the moment, but only getting 4mbps instead of the 7 i ordered, but apparently that's going to be corrected monday as it seems the guy stuck me on a noisy set of wires on the pole.. and i'm ok with what im getting now because at least it's better than 700k!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Comcast has the worst web site of ANY major company - and they are an internet provider!!! S/b better than most sites. Their bills don't show internet usage.
    Cell carriers have has to impose caps to cut off the 2% of the customers that abuse the system (Most are 5GB, att recently went to 2GB.) The cell carriers normally just throttle your speed when you hit the cap. Comcast could do the same.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast