Thread: Inactive phone prevents incoming calls on active line?

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Inactive phone prevents incoming calls on active line?

A CSR informed me that if you switch phones on a line, you must turn off the old phone or "The System" wouldn't know where to send incoming calls. She went so far as to suggest removing the battery from the old phone "if necessary"! This struck me as completely bizarre. It's obviously incorrect in general, but I'm wondering if there are specific conditions under which an inactive but powered-on phone could cause the problem she suggested?

Feedback Score
    They always tell you that but it isn't necessary. Just switch ESNs and do *228 and all is fine. Maybe on some weird circumstances where the phone was communicating with the switch or something it could cause an issue. PDAs can also be a little different with their always on data connections but is usually stildoesnt cause an issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent
    They always tell you that but it isn't necessary.
    Ah, OK, so it's like them telling you to update your PRL no matter what problem you're calling about.

Device(s)
    EnV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Not turning off the phone when you are going to a Smart/PDA phone causes some kind of problem. so apparently they are telling us to do it all of the time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    Even standard to standard as well. While in the process of switching ESNs about a year ago I received a TXT message on my old phone while the rep was making the change and the system ended up having issues with the swap. They were finally able to get it resolved but I haven't left the old phone on again. Could have been a fluke but better safe than sorry.

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can understand a need to turn off the old phone during the ESN swap, but she meant you need to keep the old, already-deactivated phone turned off forever or it would cause reception problems whenever it's turned on.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG~
    I can understand a need to turn off the old phone during the ESN swap, but she meant you need to keep the old, already-deactivated phone turned off forever or it would cause reception problems whenever it's turned on.

It kind of makes sense to keep the old phone off. If I turn mine on, it will receive emails and my new phone will not. Could just be a quirk, but it happens.

UPDATE: Decided to pull out the ol Alltel Touch Pro and see what all I could do on it. I can access anything data wise. Even hooking it up to my laptop and tether.

Seems the only things I can not do is make or receive calls and texting.
    Last edited by budone; 05-12-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budone
    It kind of makes sense to keep the old phone off. If I turn mine on, it will receive emails and my new phone will not. Could just be a quirk, but it happens.

UPDATE: Decided to pull out the ol Alltel Touch Pro and see what all I could do on it. I can access anything data wise. Even hooking it up to my laptop and tether.

Seems the only things I can not do is make or receive calls and texting.
    Now that is something that is most certainly not supposed to be working. Any unactivated CDMA phone should not be able to authenticate into the network unless its MEID/ESN matches the one associated with the account/line, except for R-UIM compatible networks.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ParthG
    Now that is something that is most certainly not supposed to be working. Any unactivated CDMA phone should not be able to authenticate into the network unless its MEID/ESN matches the one associated with the account/line, except for R-UIM compatible networks.
    I didnt think it should either. Especially since Verizon wanted the Alltel phone off the network, thus the NE2 upgrade they allowed many of us to take an early advantage of.

Lemme check out the MEID/ESN. But I know the ESN is different. Yepper, MEID is different also.