Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 700w with no data plan. Wifi ok?

Device(s)
    Broken Moto Krave
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

700w with no data plan. Wifi ok?

Howdy. I'm thinking of picking up a Treo 700w as a replacement phone and am attracted to its qwerty keyboard and wifi capability however, I do not have nor want a data plan. Am I able to activate and use the phone and wifi function without incurring any data charges or having to sign up for a data plan.

This seems like it would be a common question but searches came up empty. Apologies if I missed something.

On an aside, I'm tech and phone retarded so layman's terms would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    it is a common question and the same answer applies to everyone else who asks this same question.

YOU MUST HAVE THE $30 DATA PACKAGE TO ACTIVATE A SMART PHONE.

NO WAY AROUND IT. NONE. NO, REALLY THERE'S NOT!

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m c
    Howdy. I'm thinking of picking up a Treo 700w as a replacement phone and am attracted to its qwerty keyboard and wifi capability however, I do not have nor want a data plan. Am I able to activate and use the phone and wifi function without incurring any data charges or having to sign up for a data plan.

This seems like it would be a common question but searches came up empty. Apologies if I missed something.

On an aside, I'm tech and phone retarded so layman's terms would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Yes, you can activate a Treo 700w without signing up for a data plan.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scannerman
    it is a common question and the same answer applies to everyone else who asks this same question.

YOU MUST HAVE THE $30 DATA PACKAGE TO ACTIVATE A SMART PHONE.

NO WAY AROUND IT. NONE. NO, REALLY THERE'S NOT!
    Any smartphone released before Nov '08 can be activated without a data plan which applies to the Treo 700w.

PS. If you're going to SHOUT at least get your facts straight.

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54
    Any smartphone released before Nov '08 can be activated without a data plan which applies to the Treo 700w.

PS. If you're going to SHOUT at least get your facts straight.
    LOL exactly. some people are too quick to jump.

Device(s)
    Broken Moto Krave
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the patience with what I'm sure is a trivial question.

That's great. I've read a bit about having to disable data if I want to use the wifi function to browse the web at home (or anywhere there's a hot spot) to ensure the device does not try to connect via the cellular network. Does that all sound about right?

Here's the skinny: I broke my phone yesterday (Moto Krave). With no insurance and another four months before I'm up for a new phone from Verizon, I have to pick something up, only I have less $100 to spend and there are some mighty attractive options on eBay for short money however, they're mostly smart phones (Moto Q, Palm 650/700, sch-i760, etc.)

I'd love to try to squeeze a little bang out of my buck here but I appreciate how limited my options are with how little I have to spend.

I'd love any input you might be able to provide on some of those devices. It would primarily be used as a phone and for texting with occasional WiFi use at home, etc. If it can be synced to my Outlook at work (without a data plan), all the better but I won't lose any sleep over that.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You absolutely will want to set up a data block (with CS) for any smartphone without a data plan. Smartphones get charged by the kb rather than the mb. I think it comes out to over $15/MB.

Not sure about the old smartphones you list as I've never used them. I would read the Cnet reviews on them in addition to user reviews. I know many people like the sch-i760 although the form factor isn't the greatest.

Where did you read that the Treo 700w has Wi-Fi? Don't think it has it natively without a Wi-Fi card. But with WiFi you should be able to sync to an Exchange server Over The Air or directly to Outlook on a PC via a USB data cable.

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (Steve\'s phone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Xv6800 is another great choice. You need pay as you go data and not a data block. Data block will block mms.. paygo will let it through.

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.G
    Wirelessly posted (Steve\'s phone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Xv6800 is another great choice. You need pay as you go data and not a data block. Data block will block mms.. paygo will let it through.
    Well any way you look at it it will be a Pay As You Go data plan. The question is whether to apply a data block or not. True, with a data block you can't send MMS but at $15.36 per MB do you really think it's prudent not to have a data block? Smartphones are notorious for using data in the background that the user has no knowledge of and the OP could get a very nasty surprise when he gets billed. Sounds like the OP has limited funds and little experience configuring a smartphone. You really need to know what you're doing when configuring a smartphone to use absolutely no data when you don't have a data block on the line.

IMHO, it would be crazy for the OP not to have a data block put on the line unless MMS is crucial to him. Do you really disagree?

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If he doesn't need MMS then a data block makes sense... my wife has a 6800 and she learned very quickly how to not get charged for data. The most I've ever got billed for 'accidental' data is a few bucks. For most people, MMS is non negotiable.

It's not that hard on my wife's phone.. I don't know about that treo.

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have a few older data phones and can tell you that I am always prompted to add the data plan. No option for pay per use anymore.

Device(s)
    UTStarcom xv6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The "data block" you refer to is that something you set up on your account on the Verizon Wireless website? Also, forgive me if this is a silly question, but what is MMS? Is that text messaging?

Thanks for your answers and your patience.
    http://cbsarge.com - The AutoSavers!

Device(s)
    Broken Moto Krave
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the additional info.

MMS is Multimedia Messaging Service (ie, Pic/vid messages). Do let that fool you into thinking I know what I'm talking about when it comes to smartphones. taoman54 has me pinned. No prior experience, very little tech knowledge and meager funds.

I think having a pocket-sized WiFi capable device that I can perform work-related tasks on in hot spots while doubling as a phone (and have a qwerty) is an ideal tool for me. I have no need for cellular data service as my interest in these devices is not so much based on necessity as it is convenience.

Again, many thanks for all of the information. One other device that has peaked my interest is the Omnia. I have an email into Verizon to confirm whether a data plan is necessary for that device. I have read that some newer devices give you no choice but to activate a data plan.

The three I'm most keen on right now are:

i760
    XV6800 (thanks, Steve.G)
    Omnia i910

They're all available for a reasonable price and all seem capable of what I'm looking for.

Device(s)
    UTStarcom xv6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I grabbed a second-hand XV6700 for a little under $50 from eBay. I haven't activated it yet but, I have powered it on and have been using it to browse the web over the wireless. I'm pretty happy so far. I've logged onto my Verizon Wireless account and blocked all the data related services so I should be safe. The querty keyboard is a little different from the Intensity I have been using but, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Device(s)
    Broken Moto Krave
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For anyone interested, my response from Verizon is that the i760 and XV6800 can be activated without a data plan. The Omnia cannot. It requires a data plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast