Thread: Verizon contract and Verizon phone

Feedback Score

Verizon contract and Verizon phone

Hi,

My family ported out of Verizon a while back. My adult daughter decided to join another families "Family Plan". She got a nice phone and was supposed to be paying her share of the plan. Now she can't really afford the plan. Last week the screen shorted out on her nice phone. It's under warranty, so Verizon is sending her another one (she just has to return the defective phone). In the interim, she is using an old flip phone on that line. My question is this...When the new phone comes, would she be able to sell it to help her pay her monthly fees, and just keep using the old flip phone?

Thanks,
    Tom

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes the phone can be sold. But it doesn't really belong to her. The holder of the main account is obligated to the contract to pay for it, people on secondary lines are not personally obligated to any contract. So it is up to the actual contract signer what to do with the phones. Since she can't afford to continue on the plan, she should give the new phone back to the main line owner.

Feedback Score
    OK...good information, thanks. I don't they will care, I think they just want to make sure the bill gets paid.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In order to cancel her line before the contract is up, they would have to pay some portion of a $175 or $350 early termination fee. It may be less expensive to just keep paying the $10.00 per month even if no one is using the line. Either way the proceeds of selling the phone should go toward those costs.

After taking a smartphone off and going to an ordinary phone, you can cancel the $29.99 data package. Just be sure not to do anything with the phone (such as web browsing) that requires data. Calling and texting and picture messages are OK.

Feedback Score
    Yeah ETFs aren't part of this. She is going to keep that phone line. I just wanted to know what her choices were regarding handsets on her line, and what the deal was with the unused new phone. And the answer is it belongs to the contract holder.

I don't think she has a 29.99 data package. I think she pays an extra $10 on her line for data, which she says she doesn't use anyway. So maybe they will be able to cut her bill by that $10.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    "Old flip phones" should not require any data package. It's the newer "Advanced Multimedia Devices" that require the $10 per month one.

Feedback Score
    Great, thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305
    Yes the phone can be sold. But it doesn't really belong to her. The holder of the main account is obligated to the contract to pay for it, people on secondary lines are not personally obligated to any contract.
    You're mixing apples and oranges. Unless the account owner paid for the phone, how does it belong to him or her? Unless you mean that it's somehow "moral collateral" for her future obligations to pay for her part of the plan which is stretching the point rather far, I think.

Feedback Score
    My daughter paid for the phone, but the price was discounted.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On a moral note, I would say untill the line is no longer under contract the phone should be returned to the contract holder. But legally, the adult daughter is not responsible for anything.

I have had a friend do this before, and what they did is charge the $175 ETF up front. They get the $175 back when the line is not under contract anymore. This way, if they stop paying, or walk off, they have the money to pay the ETF and shut the line down. I think all they had to do one time was do a ESN swap on that phone so they thought they got their line shut down, it was amazing how fast they got the money to them, lol...Me personally, I would not do this, good way to end friendships.
    Iphone 4, haven't looked back..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTsucks
    I would not do this, good way to end friendships.
    Yeah, I told her the whole thing was a bad idea. Interestingly though, she doesn't listen to me.

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

the account holder can have the line disconnected until the portion of the bill is paid. they will still be charged each month but the line cant be used.
    I use it as a behavioral tool with my kids. they mess up,phone disconnected for set time. only had to enforce it once in 4 years. theyd rather die(get good grades,do their chores,no driving tickets ,etc) than lose their texting life line
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark
    [SIZE=1]
    I use it as a behavioral tool with my kids. they mess up,phone disconnected for set time. only had to enforce it once in 4 years. theyd rather die(get good grades,do their chores,no driving tickets ,etc) than lose their texting life line
    I did that too. I envy that you only have had to do it once in 4 years. It was like a yoyo with my oldest. (Yes this is the same child.)