Thread: Was with Alltel, now with VZW... what options do I have?

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Was with Alltel, now with VZW... what options do I have?

I am under contract still with 2 lines but "eligible for upgrade" according to Verizon wireless b/c we're 20 months in, I suppose.

The plan we have is

FRIENDS & FAMILY1 NATLFREEDOM 500 $39.99 Contract Ends on 08/15/10

with an added line at $19.99, no extras.

---Before Alltel was taken over in my area by VZW, I had a Moto Q and added a SmartPack or ConnectPack or something that allowed me to use the Q and only use minutes, but I no longer have that, just basic dumbphones and no text/data add-ons.

I suppose if I am enamored with any smartphone, whether it be an old or current Alltel or Verizon phone, I would have to get the $29.99 data pack?

Meaning that there's no way to add a anything like Alltel had to get cheaper data?

---If that's the case, if we want to upgrade phones at new contract price, do we have to switch to a Verizon plan or can we keep the Alltel plan? For example, if we wanted to get new phone like Env3's, and would I need a VZW plan or can I keep Alltel plan? If I can keep the Alltel plan am I still forced to take the $9.99 data pack?

---What about adding an older Verizon phone? Can I do that without having to switch to a Verizon plan or signing a new contract? Like buying an Env3 off ebay, or some other qwerty phone that didn't require data?

I'm just trying to sort out my options as we don't use many minutes, we text occasionally, but I'd like to use data but don't want it enough to pay $30 a month for it.

Other things I'm considering is nTelos, but they don't seem cheaper at all since it's a flat $29.99 for data for smartphones as well. Also considering Page Plus, buying a smartphone off ebay or new or from a Page Plus dealer, and going with the 1200min/1200msg/50MB data play for only $30 each and finding a smartphone that works right out of the box as some droids/palms are said to.
    Go Hokies!

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; ADR6300 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Check out the prepaid plans from Walmart that run on Verizon network....its called straight talk. But they have data and messaging options, just limited phones...
    Last edited by strunke; 05-01-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I've seen Straight Talk and Page Plus. Straight talk does have the limited phones and with their $30 plan it's less data (20 MB isntead of 50 MB IIRC) versus Page Plus' $30 plan. But with Page Plus I'd have to hack/customize a verizon phone and that's not something I can do/want to do right now.