Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid phones on Postpaid acct

Device(s)
    Samsung U600
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Prepaid phones on Postpaid acct

I've researched quite a bit and so far the answers are 'yes' on using prepaid phones from target etc (U350, LG 5600) on postpaid accts.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...7&page=4&pp=30

well, I've went to target today and looked at the ESID on samsung u350 and tried changing it on my line through my droid. but it said Prepaid phones cannot be activated on post paid until after 6 months of usage. and it needs to be scanned at the register first (I just did it before buying it to check)

so, has vzw plugged in the loophole? or is it still working and I just need to purchase the prepaid phone before activating on post paid?
    Click to email, sub must contain word 'trade'

Feedback Score
    I did it a few weeks ago without problems, try buying it first, when activating it don't hit send as the new phone asks you to,dial *228 like a regular used phone if you still can't just return it.

Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    You can also just call 611 and get a rep to override it. I've done that before.

Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larciel
    I've researched quite a bit and so far the answers are 'yes' on using prepaid phones from target etc (U350, LG 5600) on postpaid accts.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...7&page=4&pp=30

well, I've went to target today and looked at the ESID on samsung u350 and tried changing it on my line through my droid. but it said Prepaid phones cannot be activated on post paid until after 6 months of usage. and it needs to be scanned at the register first (I just did it before buying it to check)

so, has vzw plugged in the loophole? or is it still working and I just need to purchase the prepaid phone before activating on post paid?
    I just bought 3 LG VX5600s and none of them would activate

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edavid
    I just bought 3 LG VX5600s and none of them would activate
    Do an ESN change online. Keep trying *228 option 1. I just did one this weekend for my grandfather. What I did was activate it, then swap the ESN with an old phone and then put his number on the LG 5600. I had to do *228 option 1 2 times. I did an ESN change online.

Device(s)
    HTC INCREDIBLE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This can be done by calling Verizon but there are drawl backs with doing this as I found out. With the Prepaid phone there are certain apps that you can not use like the VZ Navigator on a monthly basis. You can use it on a daily basis but not monthly. There are some other items that will work the same way.

I had to take the phone back and get the same phone, but in a post paid account model. The phone that my son had gotten was a Samsung which came both ways but the pre paid one was given to him by mistake.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes there are feature changes that need to be done on the back end and the online system and *228 don't handle this correctly, such as data plans, specific features like OTA Software updates ETC..

The Policy is you aren't allowed to use them, but its easy to fall through the cracks.
    Hi there. I'm the guy on the other side of the counter. If you're a jerk to me, guess how hard I'm going to try to help you?

Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Do an ESN change online. Keep trying *228 option 1. I just did one this weekend for my grandfather. What I did was activate it, then swap the ESN with an old phone and then put his number on the LG 5600. I had to do *228 option 1 2 times. I did an ESN change online.
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. What failed was doing an ESN change online for an existing line. This was for purchased but unactivated phones. Would it make a difference if the phones were activated (as prepaid)? In the past I didn't do that, just did the ESN change and activated as postpaid.

Feedback Score
    hmm... i have a prepaid vx5500 on my postpaid line. purchased at walmart a few months ago. maybe try buying the phone, then do the esn swap online.

i'm kinda curious if vzw closed the loophole. if they did, i will consider greener pastures in the future - as a matter of principle, i refuse to pay more for the same "quarter" phone w/a one year contract on post-paid than out the door for a prepaid one.

Device(s)
    HTC INCREDIBLE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I'm understanding correctly you tried to activate a prepaid phone (which was unactivated) on a post paid account. I was told that the only time a prepaid phone can do this is after 6 months of use. However like I said Verizon did activate a prepaid on my post paid account why they will do it sometimes and not others is beyond me but it had to be done over the phone and not just an simple ESN change.

Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    I thought maybe they had blocked newer ESN/MEIDs, but I got an older MEID from an eBay seller and that didn't work either. It's looking like they did close the loophole.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edavid
    Would it make a difference if the phones were activated (as prepaid)? In the past I didn't do that, just did the ESN change and activated as postpaid.
    Yes. If you have any old phones, switch your number (prepaid) to one of them, then the Prepaid phone can be used on your contract plan.

Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    You can also just call 611 and get a rep to override it. I've done that before.
    I couldn't get a CSR to do it... they said the system wouldn't let them.

Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Yes. If you have any old phones, switch your number (prepaid) to one of them, then the Prepaid phone can be used on your contract plan.
    Thanks! I wasn't able to enter the ESN of the prepaid phone online, but when I used *228 option 3, it activated on the first try.

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just activated my second Walmart u350 in two weeks, straight out of the box. Both times, I switched the MEIDs online before activating the phones on my account for the first time.

The first time, the phone did the initial activation just fine, but I had trouble switching back and forth between it and another phone until tech support made some sort of one-time adjustment she wouldn't explain in detail. I suspect it had to do with the SPC, which is different on every prepaid phone, but a standard 000000 on postpaid phones. With the second phone, I changed the SPC to all zeros before I activated the phone for the time, and I haven't had any trouble switching around that phone without any tech support intervention.

Lastly, fwiw, I couldn't get MyVerizon to work or Backup Assistant to download until I modded the phone to allow for Internet usage.

Useful threads re modding prepaid u350s: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1564095, http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522609, http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1564104

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast