Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possibly switching from Verizon to Sprint

Feedback Score

Possibly switching from Verizon to Sprint

Hey everyone,

We just moved to a location that only has the extended network for Verizon. The main carrier her is Sprint and I was wondering if this was a cause to be able to get out of our contract without having to pay etf's? I don't want to get rid of them but I can only get a couple of bars on the 1X network and picture messages take forever to send. We have also dropped more calls than usual too.

Thanks,
    Mike

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    The one that works best for me.
    Feedback Score
    Why not get a network extender from Verizon? Sounds like you will benefit from one.

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

is the range on a NE the entire city/town?
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Feedback Score
    We live in Del Rio TX. The closest towers for the standard network is in San Antonio about 150 miles away.

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    You can get out if you have absolutely no service. VZW will not let you out if you still get a bar, even if it's 1X.

Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kalannar
    Hey everyone,

We just moved to a location that only has the extended network for Verizon. The main carrier her is Sprint and I was wondering if this was a cause to be able to get out of our contract without having to pay etf's? I don't want to get rid of them but I can only get a couple of bars on the 1X network and picture messages take forever to send. We have also dropped more calls than usual too.

Thanks,
    Mike

Vzw is a stickler for fees, there's no roaming out with them either so looks like the choices are to continue or eat the fees. If you haven't bought a smartphone before November you have the the protated $175 ETF that reduces by $5 every month.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Look at the coverage maps for both Sprint and Verizon in Del Rio, TX. They are identical. So with VZW, perhaps you are 'roaming' on Sprint's network.. How is switching to Sprint going to improve your reception?
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    Motorola V325i
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We live in Del Rio TX. The closest towers for the standard network is in San Antonio about 150 miles away.
    I used to live in Del Rio

Feedback Score
    Sprint has 3G coverage out here. Verizon doesn't. We were wanting to add a line for our young daughter to have a cell phone with the family locator. According to Verizon's website, that service is not available on an extended network. Sprints network works fine out here. They have better coverage here. When I looked at the maps it was completely different

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has 3G coverage out here. Verizon doesn't. We were wanting to add a line for our young daughter to have a cell phone with the family locator. According to Verizon's website, that service is not available on an extended network. Sprints network works fine out here. They have better coverage here. When I looked at the maps it was completely different
    The service you are getting with Verizon (off Sprint) will be the same you will get with Sprint. Really..

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    Actually I think the OP has a legit case here. While VZW doesn't kick off subs who do a crapload of roaming like all the other carriers you might be able to convince someone that moving out of a native VZW area is cause for an etf waiver. Here in Arizona we have Mohave county in the NE corner of the state which VZW also has no native service and I know of a few people who moved out there and got their ETF's waived.

It's a case by case but to the OP I definitely say call and state your case and be persistent too.

Device(s)
    Droid RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've had both and by far, Sprint has the best broadband coverage and speeds. It's funny how naive some VZW customer are about roaming. I can tell you with a very high degree of certainty that there's no such thing as broadband roaming from VZW to Sprint. I've gone into meetings with most people in the room had VZW mobile broadband cards with slow to no reception and I sat in the same room with my Sprint broadband card and perfect reception and was able to get work done. This happened in various cities as the company I worked with gave their employees only VZW cards, my company let me pick. There's roaming the otherway as I've gone on VZW's network from my Sprint card but mostly 1X when it does switch over.

My contract expires this summer, not sure if I'll switch back to Sprint. My only complaint about Sprint is their customer service is horrible compared to VZW. I know that VZW got some serious 4G bandwidth in their future with all that analog TV spectrum they bought. Lets see if they can make good use of it.

Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    The service you are getting with Verizon (off Sprint) will be the same you will get with Sprint. Really..

Not the same if a vzw sub wants to use any extras but the Sprint sub will all services natively. Is TX one of the spots you can testify to vzw ruling becuase of past comparisons?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Then why pay VZW's prices for Sprint's service? Seems like a no brainer to me. I'd switch and save $30+ per month. Even with the ETF(s) you'd come out on top.

OP, call customer service and explain your situation. VZW is a very reasonable company, tell the them the reasons you aren't going to be satisfied (Locator, etc) and they just may let you out.

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy
    Then why pay VZW's prices for Sprint's service? Seems like a no brainer to me. I'd switch and save $30+ per month. Even with the ETF(s) you'd come out on top.

OP, call customer service and explain your situation. VZW is a very reasonable company, tell the them the reasons you aren't going to be satisfied (Locator, etc) and they just may let you out.

I would too if I were the OP, but he has to pay the ETF, that's why he hasn't switched. VZW is a ***** to deal with, especially when it comes to terminating service.

You have 3 choices.

1. "Try" to convince VZW to let you out of the contract. Good Luck.
    2. Pay the ETF, and switch to Sprint.
    3. Ride it out with VZW, and maybe they'll drop you for too much roaming. But as stated before, that probably won't happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast