Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finishing the Big Red Plunge

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score

Finishing the Big Red Plunge

Yeah, you heard it here first. Change is coming for the ol' Answerman. I know I've technically not been part of Alltel since last October, but I still identify more with you guys than with the Verizon folks on HoFo.

Anyway, Verizon's making me a deal I can't refuse... if you haven't heard, as of April 9 they are waiving the ETF for retained people still on Alltel plans (part of their evil plot to get all of us to use VZW branded phones and get rid of all the Alltel phones on their network) so I preordered my shiny new HTC Droid Incredible today. After 5 years of Windows Mobile (PPC-6700/PPC-6800/Touch Pro), I'm jumping on the Android bandwagon.

The offer they are making to us former Alltel people is ending the contract regardless of how much time you have left, giving a new VZW contract, and getting a new phone for the 2 year promo price ($299), plus crediting the rebate (normally a $100 mail in rebate), plus an additional $50 off as part of "New Every Two". So, I get the Incredible for $149 with no rebates to deal with. I can't pass this up.

Just thought I'd share this with anyone else out there who's still in denial (like me) of now being VZW customers.

For those of you still with divested Alltel, I'll be selling my Touch Pro shortly if anyone's interested. Once I've got the Incredible in hand, I'll get it posted.
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Answerman, you are not keeping your Alltel contract? I am getting a new device also, but I wont give up my 12 My Circle numbers nor nights at 7pm.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Motorola e815: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/784; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I would have switched as well but depending on which rep I talk to a comparable Verizon plan would cost me an additional $50 - $70/month more. Definitely not worth all the upgrade promotions.
    Remember kids... Bribery is illegal but lobbying is not

Mick662: "Someday, you will meet people on the internet who are so dumb, you will find it hard to comprehend. They probably got beat up a lot at school for being this dumb. And they deserved it".

Device(s)
    Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Formerly Alltel)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neb1211
    Wirelessly posted (Motorola e815: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/784; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I would have switched as well but depending on which rep I talk to a comparable Verizon plan would cost me an additional $50 - $70/month more. Definitely not worth all the upgrade promotions.

X2, and i would actually get less mins and no circle.
    The things I post are my opinion. Not my employers, family's,friends, or yours. Sorry if I offend you, if I do... Please get over it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budone
    Answerman, you are not keeping your Alltel contract? I am getting a new device also, but I wont give up my 12 My Circle numbers nor nights at 7pm.
    Still on the Alltel plan, just a new 2 year contract. It got a little screwy, but the way I understand it:

We have a SmartChoice 500 plan. Shared between two phones (my Touch Pro and Mrs. Answerman's Droid Eris). $89.99 a month, plus $20 for the second line and $20 to share the data. Total of $129.99 a month.

Now, the Incredible will replace the Touch Pro, and in order to do so I had to add the 29.99 data pack. However, we can now remove the second line data share cost of $20.00 (in effect the Eris uses the SmartChoice data plan and the Incredible uses the VZW plan add-on)). So, the net result is an additional $9.99 a month. All other features of the SmartChoice 500 plan (12 MyCircle numbers, 7PM nights and weekends, etc.) stay the same, except for the text messaging, which I rarely use anyway.

At least I think that's how it's going to work... I did this at about 1AM and hopefully I was thinking clearly. The way I see it, we're all going to be forced into VZW plans at some point anyway, and the extra $10 a month isn't too bad to have the phone I really want.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score
    Shouldn't work that way at all answerman. You should just be able to keep your core SmartChoice plan on your line and keep your wife's line a $40 AAL or vice-versa.
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neb1211

Ya make the change online you keep your current Alltel plan... EXCEPT for data, ya pay what you always have but the data plan does not allow tethering.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by answerman
    Still on the Alltel plan, just a new 2 year contract. It got a little screwy, but the way I understand it:

We have a SmartChoice 500 plan. Shared between two phones (my Touch Pro and Mrs. Answerman's Droid Eris). $89.99 a month, plus $20 for the second line and $20 to share the data. Total of $129.99 a month.

Now, the Incredible will replace the Touch Pro, and in order to do so I had to add the 29.99 data pack. However, we can now remove the second line data share cost of $20.00 (in effect the Eris uses the SmartChoice data plan and the Incredible uses the VZW plan add-on)).
    I think they may had said something wrong. Basically the data plan is changed which cost nothing more, but you can no longer tether without charges. It is nice to keep nights at 7 and x amount of My Circle numbers

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case when it all shakes out. The way the VZW site is set up, it won't allow you to complete the purchase without specifying a data plan. I figure we'll sort it out later.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    So, even though you already have a data plan (i.e. Smartchoice), you still have to add a Data Pack? Do you mean for tethering?

Device(s)
    Droid RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You dont have to change your number(alltel number) and rateplan, all they want you to do is change the device to verizon wireless.

Feedback Score
    Mod note: Moved from the main forum.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Foots
    So, even though you already have a data plan (i.e. Smartchoice), you still have to add a Data Pack? Do you mean for tethering?
    The only change when we choose a Verizon phone is yes the data. With the Smartpack we had data measured in MOU (Minutes of use) when you get a new phone data is switched to measure MB's used. So tethering the way we know it is gone.

If you go through a mock order online, you see that MOU is removed and another data code is entered.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Can you explain "tethering the way we know it"? I don't tether that often or for that long, just the couple of times a year when we are traveling and WiFi's not available. Regardless of the "unlimited" data with the SmartChoice plan or a 5GB(?) cap per VZW, I'm never going to run up against a data limit.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by answerman
    Can you explain "tethering the way we know it"? I don't tether that often or for that long, just the couple of times a year when we are traveling and WiFi's not available. Regardless of the "unlimited" data with the SmartChoice plan or a 5GB(?) cap per VZW, I'm never going to run up against a data limit.
    With Alltel we could tether using our Voice minutes, which in effect allowed us to tether after 7pm without using minutes.

I rarely used it unless the hotels wifi stunk.

Getting a new Verizon phone eliminates MOU (Minutes of Use) for tethering.

The Verizon TOS states if tethering without paying for it ($30/month) with a limit of 5GB, one is breaking the rules that are in place.

That is the biggest change when getting a Verizon phone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast