Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Verizon leaves bad taste........

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Posts
    928
    Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubspoon
    I actually do know about Alltel plans, was considering them when I was to MI. Never saw one national plan that didn't include roaming. XFF, what makes the areas romaing now that didn't in the past? The OP said those same areas were no problem before that now are, it could be part of the divestment but just don't see how all the coast is no coverage for anyone but Broadpoint.
    Dubspoon. Alltel did and still does offer a Total Freedom package which is zero roaming. But all the rest had some type of roaming.

    Although not spelled out totally I think they are saying since Verizon took over those of us who came from Alltel our PRL's no longer have Sprint and such in out PRL....which is true. So in theory where we used to roam for free we no longer do so.

    However, what is not being mentioned is that where we used to roam on Sprint and others, Verizon is now the first roaming partner in our PRL. So when they say as an Alltel customer I would roam in SE KY that is true IF i was still an Alltel customer. But I am a Verizon customer with an Alltel plan and in that scenario I do not roam as Verizon is the first 'roaming' partner in my PRL.

    As for the OP, since he is a Verizon customer with an Alltel plan unless Verizon took down the Alltel towers, he should have still hit Alltel towers as Alltel is first on the PRL. But I do see Verizon does not cover that area.

    I always thought Broadpoint was GSM anyways. But that I am sure I could be wrong about.

    Verizon right now is in a push to get Alltel plan customers to re up for 2 years. I received a flier stating my NE2 which was not due til May 2011 is now here as of last Friday. And it is stamped all over the flier, I can keep my Alltel plan. Which means I still have nights at 7 and my 12 F&F numbers.

    Maybe those of us with Alltel plans are not the ugly stepchild we have been made to feel like after all.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    The OP is uspet about roaming charges so it can be assumed the plan includes roaming and until the OP says otherwise I stand by that. The kicker is how they won't waive all the fees but leaving conditions to get a partial waiver. This is worse than the other thread about cruise ship roaming because the OP is on land, US land at that vzw's big red map and Alltel blue map don't support the claim it's the subs fault.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Posts
    928
    Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubspoon
    The OP is uspet about roaming charges so it can be assumed the plan includes roaming and until the OP says otherwise I stand by that. The kicker is how they won't waive all the fees but leaving conditions to get a partial waiver. This is worse than the other thread about cruise ship roaming because the OP is on land, US land at that vzw's big red map and Alltel blue map don't support the claim it's the subs fault.
    The OP is a Verizon customer with an Alltel plan. We no longer have anything to do with the current Alltel customer map where it concerns roaming.

    In our PRL's Alltel towers are number one on the list and Verizon is number two to cover the rest. And after Verizon is whomever Verizon has roaming agreements with. Our holes have been filled..... for the most part.

    If my coverage was based on what Alltel offers, I would have paid through the nose when in St Croix as I do not have the North American plan. However there were no charges.

    I never would had thought about looking to see if I was roaming where he was. I did in St Croix and I do when near the Canada border. Come to think about it. Landing in Miami on our way to St Croix, I remember seeing the solid triangle and thought that strange. I rebooted my phone and it disappeared.

    I feel the OP got the shaft in this situation. It is not Verizon's fault he hit off shore towers, but what happened to the Alltel towers he used to hit when there? What changed that did not allow him to hit those towers. Current Alltel customers still receive service in that area.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Posts
    74
    Device(s)
    Curve 8330- Personal
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Dub, the Alltel plan I am on charged roaming at $0.59 a minute. Of course, I also had a triangle on my Alltel phones. Blinking meant I was okay, solid meant I was going to be charged. No triangle appears on my phone during the time I was there.

    This is also why I mentioned Verizon being sneaky. This may or may not be true, but its the way I feel. Its almost like a ploy to get me to sign on to a Verizon plan. I know my phone has a roaming indicator, so says the manual anyhow, it just never manifested itself.
    PIN: 30D40D6D

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
    Dub, the Alltel plan I am on charged roaming at $0.59 a minute. Of course, I also had a triangle on my Alltel phones. Blinking meant I was okay, solid meant I was going to be charged. No triangle appears on my phone during the time I was there.

    This is also why I mentioned Verizon being sneaky. This may or may not be true, but its the way I feel. Its almost like a ploy to get me to sign on to a Verizon plan. I know my phone has a roaming indicator, so says the manual anyhow, it just never manifested itself.


    I thought by the time the Nextel buy was done all the national plans included roaming. You may have a hard time with any credits, sounds like you are willing to bite the bullet but I would try negotiations 1st. Verizon should be sending a legacy plan holders like you updated info on where you all can and can't use phones without fees if those areas have changed so instances like this don't happen but that would be too much like right.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even plans that do include roaming do not include roaming on PetroCom/Coastel. I'm not aware of any national carrier that includes free roaming on those systems, except perhaps the old SNR plans VZW had. But all regular consumer plans exclude the GoM carriers due to huge roaming fees incurred.

    Of course we don't know for sure if that's what happened, but it's something to follow up on.

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
    I asked and she said it looked like I was on a ship or something, which would mean an international tower. My feet never left dry land btw.
    Intracoastal City is on the GoM and it's very possible to pick up a GoM carrier (PetroCom/Coastel) there. Those are not international carriers, the GoM is US territory, however, the wireless companies treat it as pay-per-use roaming. If that's what it was you might want to see whether your PRL was coded incorrectly if it's true that it didn't show a roaming indicator when you placed all those calls. How much did they charge you per minute?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Intracoastal City is on the GoM and it's very possible to pick up a GoM carrier (PetroCom/Coastel) there. Those are not international carriers, the GoM is US territory, however, the wireless companies treat it as pay-per-use roaming. If that's what it was you might want to see whether your PRL was coded incorrectly if it's true that it didn't show a roaming indicator when you placed all those calls. How much did they charge you per minute?


    I see know the coverage for that area, going by maps for all carriers (even the Alltel one), shows it's covered. There are inland spots on the coast of no coverage but it looks like the OP should've had vzw coverage to fall back on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks