Thread: Question about Wireless Networking...

Device(s)
    iPhone (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Talking Question about Wireless Networking...

I have a neighbor who is a little under 150ft away from me, point to point, through walls of course, if I bought a Wireless Network thing and everything I need, is he close enough for me to network with???? Does the signal go through walls good or no? And how fast would it be??? Any info appreciated, thanks!

Device(s)
    RIM BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Questions....

what is it? 802.11b? 802.11a? 802.11g? Something else? it may be possible, but you may have slow speeds... of course, he could make and antenna extender, you can even make it out of a pringles can! (no kidding, it was on The Screen Savers) Then, he/she could blast that signal all over the neighbourhood!

Cheers.
    /jonathan

Device(s)
    iPhone (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    802.11b.....

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS Vision
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It should work without really having to do anything fancy. Usually you can get a range indoors of 100m so you should be ok. Give it a shot. If you can't pick up a signal you could always buy a signal booster for his access point to up the signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T; Digicel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Should work, espcially if you are just passing thru regular wood frame construction.
    PSA: karibOS is FEMALE

karibOS v6.17

lisa: "the simpsons are going to canada!" homer: "awwww, why leave America to go to america, jr.?"

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    lol Kromix...ever heard of the computer forum?

j/k
    "My downfall raises me to infinite heights." -Napoleon Bonaparte

01101010 ...

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    LOL, if you want a real wireless setup, don't get those Linksys/Netgear/SMC etc that you see at the local Best Buy. try out a wireless router from Cisco. Sure,they may be expensive but the range is awsome,I get around 500m indoors compare to a Linksys that only gets around 150m in my house,and this is through thick brick walls!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Put the wireless router and receiver near a window.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Originally posted by cmc0
    LOL, if you want a real wireless setup, don't get those Linksys/Netgear/SMC etc that you see at the local Best Buy. try out a wireless router from Cisco. Sure,they may be expensive but the range is awsome,I get around 500m indoors compare to a Linksys that only gets around 150m in my house,and this is through thick brick walls!
    Hehe Cisco Systems rocks.

I wanna work there one day.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Originally posted by Aurora
    Hehe Cisco Systems rocks.

I wanna work there one day.
    LOL, there nice setups.I'm even laying in my bed right now enjoying my Wi-Fi

Anyway,here's the wireless router that I have,also it helps to buy the bridge that goes with this unit for the Xbox in the living room or the Sound System in the Pool Hall

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44997

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Shouldn't be a problem. I'm sitting outside by my pool typing this. Works great. If you do have problems invest $69.95USD in a Access Point and it will act like a repeater and boost the signal.

Device(s)
    Motorola V400
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Long distances and metal construction has a pretty serious impact on a normal wireless AP, in my house, I can get the upstairs computers working fine, but the basement computer has a slow and intermittent connection; ie it always drops out. We suspect that it's because of a metal beam in the basement's ceiling, then again, it could be because the computer is near the main electrical box of the house too...

Long story short, consumer level stuff doesn't handle interference very well.

I've also noticed that the netgear usb adaptors we have don't work in the basement at all, while the linksys ones do. So, brand plays a role in this as well.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Originally posted by herb2k
    Long distances and metal construction has a pretty serious impact on a normal wireless AP, in my house, I can get the upstairs computers working fine, but the basement computer has a slow and intermittent connection; ie it always drops out. We suspect that it's because of a metal beam in the basement's ceiling, then again, it could be because the computer is near the main electrical box of the house too...

Long story short, consumer level stuff doesn't handle interference very well.

I've also noticed that the netgear usb adaptors we have don't work in the basement at all, while the linksys ones do. So, brand plays a role in this as well.
    Maybe you could run a cable downstairs and wireless upstairs?