Thread: Blackberry Questions - Swap SIM?

Feedback Score

Blackberry Questions - Swap SIM?

i've been using an HTC phone for the past year, i swapped the SIM card and use it for internet with wifi, no issues regarding that, i'm just ready for a new phone.

my question is, can i get a blackberry bold and do the same thing? right now i'm paying $64 a month, with unlimited medianet. thanks for the help!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If the Bold is an AT&T branded phone, it will add the BB feature to your account. If it's from another carrier (Canadian or overseas) it will not. You won't have access to BB functions such as email or BBM even if you're using wifi though.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy
    If the Bold is an AT&T branded phone, it will add the BB feature to your account. If it's from another carrier (Canadian or overseas) it will not. You won't have access to BB functions such as email or BBM even if you're using wifi though.
    i was originally gonna get an iphone but then i realized you needed the special iphone data plan, so my 2nd choice was the blackberry. if it's gonna end up being the same price, i may as well get that.. would it end up being around the same? i would be using it with AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All smartphone data packages are the same price; $30 a month. If you're going to pay that $30, and you don't need a Blackberry/WinMo for work or something, an iPhone is probably the best bang for your buck.

Feedback Score
    All smartphone data packages are the same price; $30 a month. If you're going to pay that $30, and you don't need a Blackberry/WinMo for work or something, an iPhone is probably the best bang for your buck.
    i should maybe explain more... i bought a cheap gophone at wal-mart, went and had it activated, and swapped my sim card, so i'm only paying for unlimited media net. i've been doing that for a year with no issues using a tilt. however, as far as i can understand, with an iphone i wouldn't be able to do that because they send you a text message and automatically change it. i actually went with a blackberry 9700, if i don't like it i'll just sell it.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They'll do the same thing with a Blackberry if it's a branded AT&T version. Since you had your Tilt before Sept 9th when they updated the policy, you were able to get away with it. The system is supposed to automatically add the $30 feature when an eligible smartphone with your SIM in it is registered with the network. Blackberry and iPhone are the same in that regard.

Feedback Score
    They'll do the same thing with a Blackberry if it's a branded AT&T version. Since you had your Tilt before Sept 9th when they updated the policy, you were able to get away with it. The system is supposed to automatically add the $30 feature when an eligible smartphone with your SIM in it is registered with the network. Blackberry and iPhone are the same in that regard.
    the blackberry i got is unbranded and unlocked. will that make a difference? also, my friend just told me that blackberry is slower on the internet since all the data has to go through RIM, is that true?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    i've been using medianet on two htc sliders and 2 blackberries for several years. no problems, and they never added a new data plan. however, i can't get email, bbm, app world, or facebook to work. fortunately, gmail has a great app, and i only have 2 friends with blackberries, and i can access facebook via opera mini.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mykrowsy
    i've been using medianet on two htc sliders and 2 blackberries for several years. no problems, and they never added a new data plan. however, i can't get email, bbm, app world, or facebook to work. fortunately, gmail has a great app, and i only have 2 friends with blackberries, and i can access facebook via opera mini.
    i got an unlocked blackberry 9700 that was originally for t-mobile, does that mean it uses the t-mobile network? the reception isn't as good as my other phone and i still use my other phone for tethering, and a lot of the time the chat apps don't work right. is there anyway to somehow "switch" it to AT&T? it's an unbranded phone but when it starts up it says t-mobile

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseHolmz
    i got an unlocked blackberry 9700 that was originally for t-mobile, does that mean it uses the t-mobile network? the reception isn't as good as my other phone and i still use my other phone for tethering, and a lot of the time the chat apps don't work right. is there anyway to somehow "switch" it to AT&T? it's an unbranded phone but when it starts up it says t-mobile
    No, as T-Mobile uses different frequncies. It's a hardware difference.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Aws

No, as T-Mobile uses different frequncies. It's a hardware difference.
    you're saying that it is a AWS berry? 1700? Do all new T-Mobile phones use AWS.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaunt911
    you're saying that it is a AWS berry? 1700? Do all new T-Mobile phones use AWS.
    Yes.

10 character limit.