Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LG-VX5600 Accolade ringtones?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, PortableVerizon, it did help. Thank you.
    I was able to download ringtones with BitPim. Some of the below instructions were copied from your and Perlith’s posts.
    1. Visit http://www.lgforum.com/resources to download a driver that will allow your LG phone to connect to your computer via a USB cable.
    2. Download "BitPim 1.0.7" from sourceforge.
    3. Connect your phone to your computer. (Steps 3 and 4 may be interchangeable.)
    4. Start BitPim.
    5. Go to Edit->Settings to bring up the BitPim Settings window.
    6. Click Phone Wizard to bring up Phone Model Setting window.
    7. Choose Verizon Wireless, LG, LG-VX5500. Note, that is a V in there and not an L, which looks similar in the list.
    8. Click Next to bring up Communication Port Setting window.
    9. For the port, select the one that says LGE CDMA USB Serial Port (in my case – COM4).
    10. Click Next to bring up Summary window.
    11. Click Finish to come back to BitPim Settings window.
    12. Click OK to close BitPim Settings window and return to BitPim window.
    13. Choose View->View Filesystem.
    14. On the folder tree (left) pane, you'll see a Filesystem folder and icon. Select this.
    15. On the subfolder tree (middle) pane, select +brew->+mod->18067.
    16. On the file (right) pane, you’ll see some ringtones (mid-files).
    17. From your computer, drag any mid- and/or mp3-files you want to 18067 subfolder on the middle pane. After that, you will see all these files on the right pane.
    18. Go to Data->Send Phone Data to bring up Send Data to Phone window.
    19. Check Ringtone and hit OK.
    20. All ringtones will be downloaded to your cell phone (Media Center – Tune & Tones – My Sounds).
    Good Luck!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks to ikogan, PortableVerizon, Perlith, and the creators of BitPim! It worked flawlessly!

Interestingly though, I did not do steps 18 & 19 above. Instead, I dragged several mp3s and mid files from Windows Explorer to BitPim's /brew/mod/18067 and several '176x220' jpgs into /brew/mod/10888. I then shutdown BitPim and disconnected the USB cable from my VX5600.
    None of the mp3s or jpgs showed up on my phone, though, until I shut down the phone & powered it back up, at which time ALL the files were indeed available and worked beautifully!

Device(s)
    Accolade VX5600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. The hint about View -> Filesystem convinced me that my writing of the ringtones from yesterday really did work. I had * assumed * that it had not worked because (1) the status line said "VX5500 unavailable", (2) the phone rebooted, and (3) the status line changed to "other CDMA phone. And when I clicked on the read-from-phone toolbar button, all the options were grey. But the writing of the ringtones really did work. Maybe the configuration file will not change after each writing of the ringtones, and I won't have to re-set the phone type for every BitPim session

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow. The information in this thread are golden! However, I was checking Verizon Media website and I noticed there's some sort of bug with the interface that it isn't even usable anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this or it's just me? I followed the advice on Ringback Tones which explains how these stuff works etc. but still no go. Anyone?

Cheers,
    Ringer

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Talking Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PortableVerizon View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their posts, especially perlith for the detailed instructions on getting started with BitPim.

I was able to download my pictures with BitPim, and I believe that ringtones can be downloaded similarly. Some of the below instructions will be copied from perlith's last post.

1) Visit http://www.lgforum.com/resources to download a driver that will allow your LG phone to connect to your computer via a USB cable.

2) Download "BitPim 1.0.7" from sourceforge.

3) Connect your phone to your computer. (Steps 3 and 4 may be interchangeable.)

4) Start BitPim.

5) Go to Edit->Settings to bring up the BitPim Settings window. This window may come up right away on startup, though.

6) Check "Block writing anything to the phone". Not required, but a good idea.

...Before getting to the next few instructions, note that this may not be literally what I did. I had to play around with things before getting it all to work. But in a nutshell, 7 and 8 are what I ended up with.

7) Phone type: LG-VX5500.

8) Port: COM5. This should correspond to "LGE CDMA USB Serial Port". Click the Browse button to make sure that you have the right port # for the Serial Port. (In case this makes a difference, I'm using Win XP.)

9) Hit OK to close the BitPim Settings window.

10) Choose View->View Filesystem.

11) On the design tree, you'll see a Filesystem icon. Select this.

12) Peruse the filesystem in the data pane. I found my photos in /brew/mod/10888. To save them, I had to right-click each one and select Save. I don't use ringtones, but I see some in /brew/mod/18067. Try looking through the other subfolders in /brew/mod in case you don't see yours there.

Hope that helps.
    This info was right on target! I was able to get pix off the phone and to the cpu - couldn't have done it without your help.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    With regard to #12 in PortableVerizon's list, you do not need to right-click each and every photo file to save them all. You can also save them as a batch by right-clicking their folder in the data pane and choosing "Backup directory ..." (~/10888 was also the folder my photos were in.)

After selecting the backup option, you will see BitPim's progress in reading the directory in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. When it is finished, it will let you choose where to save the .zip file on your PC. At which time, you only need to extract the file of photos from the .zip! A lot faster than right-clicking every photo individually!

Thanks to everyone for laying these steps out so clearly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2