Thread: Four questions about Cricket. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8310
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Four questions about Cricket. Thanks!

Hello, I got some questions and hope someone help me out.

I was in virgin mobile before then moved to pageplus. For many different reasons that now I consider to move to Cricket. I believe I will have good signal at home because there is a Cricket tower on the roof of building where I live. My questions are:

1. at our local Target store, I saw Cricket TXTM8 on sale as $89.99, I really like this phone. It is a Pay as you go phone, can I buy it and activate it as a monthly plan phone? (this phone is out of stock on Cricket web store).
    2. I noticed that Cricket broadband and data map has gaps in lot of areas. I am wondering that in these no data coverage area, can cricket phone receive picture messages (because it uses data)? picture message is important for me.
    3. I believe that the $40 plan has unlimited picture message without additional data fee charge, but I am not sure so could someone confirm it?
    4. if a Cricket phone receive a Picture message via [email protected], does this message counted as a picture message or a email? If it is considered as a email, then the $40 plan does not have email service so additional charge would be applied?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3) The $40 plan includes unlimited web. Note, Cricket web uses a proxy connection type so not all apps work unless they can be cricketfied in some cases.

4) Its a picture message (SMS) not an email for sending pictures. Even though its formated like an email.

Device(s)
    Sanyo Zio
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I know from experience you can't send a picture message (MMS) in an area with no data.

When I was in Dallas a couple years ago (before there was data roaming on MetroPCS) I could not send any pictures messages.
    I've now got a smartphone but at least it's an Android.

Open Source for life!

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8310
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks dsieme01 and kpopgrrl!
    I also found answer for my 1st question: you can not activate a Pay as you go phone to be a monthly plan phone, unless you activate pay as you go phone account and use it more than 90 days, then you can switch to monthly plan.

Feedback Score
    1. you can switch after 90 days as long as you have spent $30 in top up.
    2. Broadband and data are different. Broadband works in Cricket markets only. Phone data works currently in Cricket and Metropcs markets including picture messaging and web on the phone.
    3. If it's included in the plan there is no extra charge.
    4. It's a picture message, but since picture messaging is unlimited there is never an extra charge.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8310
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, Woof!

How can I switch after 90 days (I believe I will spend $30 for top up)? Do I have a option in my account to do it or do I have to call CS?
    I have an another question: If I place an monthly order online today and get a new number, and I am satisfied with the service, can I later port my current number in this phone from my another phone company and continue my Cricket plan, and cancel the number Cricket give to me?
    If I can do it, do I have to call CS to do it or I can do it online?

Device(s)
    LG Dare (VX9700)
    Carrier(s)
    cricKet
    Feedback Score
    For sure you could use your old number... But you would need to call customer service to do it since cricket is limited as to what you can do on the web account

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonycgb2
    For sure you could use your old number... But you would need to call customer service to do it since cricket is limited as to what you can do on the web account
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by philymaxx
    Thank you, Woof!

How can I switch after 90 days (I believe I will spend $30 for top up)? Do I have a option in my account to do it or do I have to call CS?
    I have an another question: If I place an monthly order online today and get a new number, and I am satisfied with the service, can I later port my current number in this phone from my another phone company and continue my Cricket plan, and cancel the number Cricket give to me?
    If I can do it, do I have to call CS to do it or I can do it online?
    If you switch you will get a new number when you go to monthly. Sorry to say there is not way to move a number from Cricket Paygo to Cricket Wireless, porting or otherwise.
    I suppose you could port out your Paygo to another carrier and then back into a regular Cricket account, but would it be worth it? Only you can answer that.

You can do the switch on the phone or in a corp store, but it works like this and only this way.

1. Call or visit to disconnect your paygo account (any unused funds will be lost)
    2. The next day call or visit to set up a new account. It will cost you forst month and a $15 react fee. (I prefer to the store myself. Only corp stores tho, not dealers)

The second step on the second day is required because the backend system has to batch out and that process drops your esn/meid from your paygo account so it will be available the next day for the new wireless account. If you try to do it the same day, the system will think your phone is still on an account and not let you do it.

Hope that helps.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8310
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks millions!

Device(s)
    ZTE Source N9511
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Just got a brand new, unopened PayGo phone on eBay (The lister listed it as a Cricket phone & had a picture of a non-PayGo phone). Tried to set it up with regular Cricket service but the CSR said I had to activate it for 1 month first. The reason for this, I found out, is that PayGo is actually run as a separate carrier, an unactivated phone has an ESN lock to prevent you from buying a phone for, say, Verizon & never using Verizon service. It has to be initially activated on the service it was intended for that way if you want to use a Verizon phone on Cricket you have to still sign their contract & pay the cancellation cost, so they make their money.

I don't know if it's changed or what, but it was 30 days now, & it looks like whoever told you 90 was just selling something.

I'm on a $35 plan & it has WAP, my 3G phone is always in 1X, maybe because of that, but next month when I switch it to regular Cricket hopefully that'll change. Information on how to change that is available here:
    http://www.mycricketforum.com/sprint...lz-help-2.html

The only difference between the $35 & $45 is that the $45 doesn't have roaming charges according to the MyCricketForums discussion on the subject <http://www.mycricketforum.com/genera...oid-plans.html>, but I'm not sure that's true

My only concern now is if the PayGo firmware is somehow less than the regular Cricket would be