Thread: Possible Fraud

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Possible Fraud

This could be nothing...but I noticed a new member today whose first post was creating a BST post to sell a phone. All of their posts since have been nothing but throw-away post count building posts.

It could just be someone who found a place to sell their phone and likes HoFo and plans on sticking around

-OR-

It could be someone trying to build their post count to look more established and trustworthy.

Is there someone who should be notified to keep an eye on the member? Nothing they have done technically violates forum rules yet, aside from some completely useless posts.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing when he/she signed up.........
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can report suspicious activities of BST nature to our fraud Moderators (Moderator HF 39, Moderator HF 38, Moderator HF 37) who will investigate.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Out of curiousity, who is the member? I got a PM from a member who noticed some suspicious activity. If you want, you can PM it to me.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

tell them to pay $36 and whore it up on the RLD if they want a higher post count.
    I still dont understand the big deal with hi post counts and reputations. can someone please elaborate? is it the CNNHLN mentality? dont bother with details such as what those posts entail?
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know what you mean. I have 12k posts and about 36 of them were constructive.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

tell them to pay $36 and whore it up on the RLD if they want a higher post count.
    I still dont understand the big deal with hi post counts and reputations. can someone please elaborate? is it the CNNHLN mentality? dont bother with details such as what those posts entail?
    Actually Mark, there was a guy a little while back who paid for a couple months of Premium, built of his post count and then bilked a couple people out of their phones via BST, it happens.

Anyway, I've PM'd some folks and will continue to keep an eye on the person.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.419 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    Out of curiousity, who is the member? I got a PM from a member who noticed some suspicious activity. If you want, you can PM it to me.
    That is the dude I told you about! I never went back to look at the first post...now I see that it is a BST post! I knew something wasn't right!
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 03-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.419 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

That is the dude I told you about! I never went back to look at the first post...now I see that it is a BST post! I knew something wasn't right!
    Yeah man, dude is sketch.

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark

Actually Mark, there was a guy a little while back who paid for a couple months of Premium, built of his post count and then bilked a couple people out of their phones via BST, it happens.

Anyway, I've PM'd some folks and will continue to keep an eye on the person.
    dang. I guess growing up in a preinternet world has made me niave/country as crap. never thought of that scenario

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    It could be someone trying to build their post count to look more established and trustworthy.

Is there someone who should be notified to keep an eye on the member? Nothing they have done technically violates forum rules yet, aside from some completely useless posts.
    Technically they are violating the Bumping Rule as quoted below.

Bumping - This refers to posting with the deliberate intention to either pad your post count or to keep a thread 'hot' so it appears at the top of the forum. These type of posts can be described as useless information, gibberish, redundant or one-liners. Please try our search tools to see if there has already been a similar discussion first.
    In any case, their posts should be reported with the reason being for Bumping/post padding with useless giberish, one-liners. Hopefully the Mod responding to the report will make the connection to remove them and warn the offender of their violation.

As for the BST post, reporting it as possible fraud with the notation of new User that has been padding their posts to get their post count count up.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks 18, your input is greatly appreciated.