Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: LG Fathom VS750 Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Alarms not showing up may or may not be due to a filesize limitation which was not present in WinMo 6.1. Will test out later.

re: GPS -- Bing forced me to upgrade on launch, saying that I needed to upgrade before being able to use the application. I clicked NO b/c I was busy doing other stuff and the application was stuck until I terminated from the taskmanager (handily mapped on the right side button by default). Launched Bing again, let it do its update, and GPS failed and then received a message that this newer version of Bing is not fully compatible with the phone-- not sure if the GPS failure was due to Bing's compatibility or if GPS is indeed disabled.
    Phone Bio:
    Motorola MicroTac SC725 -> Qualcomm QCP 3035 -> Qualcomm QCP 860 -> Kyocera KX2 -> Kyocera SE47 -> LG VX8300 -> Treo 700p -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> LG Fathom VS750 -> HTC Thunderbolt ADR6400L -> Motorola Droid Bionic XT875 -> HTC Rezound ADR6425LVW -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515MSAVZW -> Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545ZKBVZW -> HTC One (M8) 0P6B200 -> Samsung Galaxy Avant SM-G386TZKATMB -> Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910TZKETMB

Device(s)
    Note10+ , Galaxy Watch 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone : Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

Windows market said I needed to do the update on my working Bing
    now when I try to start Bing it says its not compatible with my screen resolution
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z2 (Red)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark View Post
    Windows market said I needed to do the update on my working Bing
    now when I try to start Bing it says its not compatible with my screen resolution
    Does Google Maps work at all?

I am just attempting to separate a possible Bing problem, with what I would say is a more serious problem that GPS itself is locked down (supporting only VZNav).

BTW, the new Bing complains that it doesn't support my Touch Pro, but works except for its new talking Nav function.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This looks like a Bing issue. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...lehelp/threads The forum at Windows Phone Help has several threads about the new Bing update not working properly in one way or another. Hopefully, it's ONLY a Bing issue...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    re: Google Maps & GPS -- not sure if this will allay your fears or confirm them:
    by default it does the non-GPS method of finding you (triangulation?)
    Menu/Settings shows GPS with a yellow tick. Selecting it turns it into a green tick. GPS Settings is automatically set to "Managed by Windows"
    On the map's top right is a little blue box which is flashing "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..."

I've not gone outside to see if the phone will finally reach a satellite; may check that out sometime tomorrow.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vprasad View Post
    On the map's top right is a little blue box which is flashing "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..."

I've not gone outside to see if the phone will finally reach a satellite; may check that out sometime tomorrow.
    Well, I hope it is just the normal, very long, delays in acquiring a satellite lock for the first time, as any GPS experiences. Please let us know how this turns out.

My Touch Pro can get receive the GPS satellites even when I am home, indoors (that's better than even my Garmin). Though, this is after it has done its first lock.
    Last edited by WaltA; 07-20-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by norif View Post
    This looks like a Bing issue. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...lehelp/threads The forum at Windows Phone Help has several threads about the new Bing update not working properly in one way or another. Hopefully, it's ONLY a Bing issue...
    Yes, I also was promted to upgrade via Marketplace. I did. And I also encountered numerous Bing bugs. So I promptly uninstalled and reinstalled the previous Bing (still available from m.mobile.bing.com). Back to good operation now.

-Frank

Device(s)
    Note10+ , Galaxy Watch 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone : Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ditto but I still had my old .cab on my sd card
    google maps has worked fine but Bing seems a bit more accurate in locating me,especially indoors

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    GPS:
    You can breathe a sigh of relief :-)
    Settings/Personal/Phone/CDMA Services/GPS - Get Settings/Location On --
    Went back to Google Maps and after about 30 seconds, "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..." changed to "GPS active (4)"

Magically, the updated Bing for Verizon's Privacy Policy now actually loads. Pressed Accept. Validating Authorization Status flashed by and then Permission to Locate came up after accepting the ToS. Pressed Done to accept the default access time (24x7). Pressed Save at the Privacy Summary. Unless Bing uses triangulation as a fallback as well, I think the GPS is working in there too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vprasad View Post
    GPS:
    You can breathe a sigh of relief :-)
    Settings/Personal/Phone/CDMA Services/GPS - Get Settings/Location On --
    Went back to Google Maps and after about 30 seconds, "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..." changed to "GPS active (4)"
    Wow, thanks. My plan to get a Fathom when my NE2 becomes available next week, is back 'on'.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I got my Fathom last Friday. Didn't get much playing around time until yesterday. There's a lot I like and some things that will take some getting used to. Got to compare cameras with the Dare a little :-) I'll do more of that later (the Fathom compares quite favorably). I've had a few 2 minute conversations, one 7 minute and a 40 minute conversation. Some gps/Bing doings (BTW, locate me works reeeeallly well). Some bluetoothing of files and contacts. A little internet browsing. One and a half songs on media player. A bit of this and that, nothing extensive. Just testing and checking things out.

Right now, I'm having (what I consider)a serious battery life issue. At first I figured, new battery, break-in, condition, whatever. But it's really really bad. I charged the battery to full yesterday morning. By evening it was around 40%. Charged it to full, 100%. Eight hours later when I got up, it was 81%. With only the phone radio on. No tasks running. Gps on 911 only. WiFi and bluetooth off. After my 40 minute conversation today, the battery was 39%. It was only ~11:00. So now, it's on the charger again.

FYI, the Dare had been my main phone for 2 years. It needed charged once a week. My Samsung i760 is a learning tool and backup phone, so a charging pattern never developed.

Is this normal? Maybe it is. Reviewers of the Fathom seem to fall into 2 categories: people who have used smartphones a lot (they give the impression that the battery life is quite good-one to two days before recharge, depending on usage) , and people who haven't (this battery really sucks!!).

So, does anyone have any tricks or tips or advice or whatever? Besides the obvious turn off whatever radios and tasks and such that aren't being used, keep the screen a bit dim, that sort of thing. Charge completely or a little? Discharge completely or a little?

If anyone has questions about specifics on the Fathom, I'll be happy to answer, if it's about something that I know something about. I did want to ask about this battery issue, though, since it affects everything I'll be doing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My HTC Touch Pro had really horrible battery life for the first week (standby lasted for only about 6 hours... not long enough to even cover work). However, after that week, it started to substantially improve. I am hoping for the same with the Fathom.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, WaltA. That's encouraging! :-)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Battery life seems to have gradually improved since I first started using the device.

Unfortunately, the forgetting the WPA keys periodically is still irksome-- sometimes a power off/on fixes it, other times not-- hardware or software defect?

Also, noticed that the Favorites syncing with Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 system sometimes loses shortcuts-- not sure what's causing it, although it is odd that making changes to the Mobile Favorites on the desktop browser does require granting admin permissions (very weird) for every little change.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Accelerometer / motion sensor support (or the lack thereof)

I just hit upon a total surprise.

It seems that most (if not all) apps can't make use of the accelerometer/motion sensor in the Fathom!

Apparently, apps which are designed to use an accelerometer, are designed to use exclusively the HTC "htcsensorsdk.dll" interface. It is apparently propriety to just HTC devices, and LG offers nothing that's compatible.

Has anyone here stumbled upon a fix for this? I have searched, and some really smart people have wrote a "htcsensorsdk.dll" equivalent for the Omnia. I am hoping for something similar for our Fathoms.

Stupid me. I had thought that such sensor access would be thru some sort of standard WinMobile interface.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast