Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why should there be?
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    Why should there be?
    because youre bringing in your own phone. no reason to pay jacked up prices so they can recover you the discounted phone since there isnt one.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by camelontherun
    because youre bringing in your own phone. no reason to pay jacked up prices so they can recover you the discounted phone since there isnt one.
    AT&T does not do that for any other unsubsidized phone. The subsidy recovery comes from voice service. AT&T does not require you to actually use the subsidized phone on its network. There is no guaranteed revenue stream from data plans. All you have to do is use a different phone not requiring the data plan. You cannot do the same with a voice plan without financial repercussions.

Feedback Score
    AT&T does not do that for any other unsubsidized phone.
    for those you pay $15/mo for data.

for this you pay 30/mo in addition to full phone cost.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You miss the point. The way to get a break on unsubsidized phones is to have a reduction in the cost of the voice service. AT&T gives you no breaks on that. The carrier does not require you to use that phone until they recover their subsidy. You are required to pay almost $960 for the lowest priced voice plan regardless of what phone you use on a primary line. Even if you usd no phone at all, they still get their voice service payment. Even if you go to another carrier, you pay for voice service from the other carrier.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    This is how ATT has treated the Symbian phones, which is why I'm upset.

Nokia E71 (unsubsidized/unbranded) = $15 Medianet data

Nokia E71x (same phone, ATT branded and filled with bloatware) = $30 for PDA data

Why are they not doing this for Android? They need to be consistant. I dont understand their logic?

So what if Android is more popular, thats a silly reason.

Feedback Score
    The subsidy recovery comes from voice service. AT&T does not require you to actually use the subsidized phone on its network.
    They just lock it to their network and send you the bill for the voice service for 24 months.

Real reasons AT&T jacks people who bring their own phones: a) because they can, and b) because they don't want to do anything to encourage that business model.

They can because the government and the customer let them. Indeed, most customers are very happy to pay more overall but at a fixed price each month and are unwilling to pay more at the head end to buy the phones outright. The marketeers herd them in that direction constantly because...

They don't want to encourage changing the business model because they make more money more predictably, have less customer churn, and get people to use AT&T who might not otherwise, simply because of the exclusives on phones and selling the phones for "cheap" with (expensive) plans.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by out_by_50
    They just lock it to their network and send you the bill for the voice service for 24 months.

Real reasons AT&T jacks people who bring their own phones: a) because they can, and b) because they don't want to do anything to encourage that business model.

They can because the government and the customer let them. Indeed, most customers are very happy to pay more overall but at a fixed price each month and are unwilling to pay more at the head end to buy the phones outright. The marketeers herd them in that direction constantly because...

They don't want to encourage changing the business model because they make more money more predictably, have less customer churn, and get people to use AT&T who might not otherwise, simply because of the exclusives on phones and selling the phones for "cheap" with (expensive) plans.
    You mean a successful and lucrative business model? HOW DARE THEY.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy
    You mean a successful and lucrative business model? HOW DARE THEY.

But if i am forced on the $30 plan , with an unsubsidized device. Then i might as well leave ATT. ATT had an advantage by allowing unlocked devices on there network. The lower price plan added to it. So now ATT is the same as Verizon again. ATT just lost a competitive advantage.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FullStrength
    But if i am forced on the $30 plan , with an unsubsidized device. Then i might as well leave ATT. ATT had an advantage by allowing unlocked devices on there network. The lower price plan added to it. So now ATT is the same as Verizon again. ATT just lost a competitive advantage.
    Unless they have the network advantage in your area, you want a specific device they have, or you want a specific unlocked device you can use on their network. Otherwise, yes, another carrier would be your better choice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna
    This is how ATT has treated the Symbian phones, which is why I'm upset.

Nokia E71 (unsubsidized/unbranded) = $15 Medianet data

Nokia E71x (same phone, ATT branded and filled with bloatware) = $30 for PDA data

Why are they not doing this for Android? They need to be consistant. I dont understand their logic?

So what if Android is more popular, thats a silly reason.
    This could change overnight. No feature price is written in concrete.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FullStrength
    But if i am forced on the $30 plan , with an unsubsidized device.
    The $30 data package has nothing to do with a subsidy. I don't understand why you are bringing the two into the same equation.

The only thing that a subsidized phone (i.e. two-year contract) gets you is... a discount on the phone.

$30 is the going rate for what AT&T is charging for their unlimited data on a "smartphone." If you don't like it, don't use their service. There are many people that easily get their $30 worth as they use 10-20GB per month. Some people don't use 1GB per month but they still feel it's worth it to have wireless data anywhere.

I personally would like them to switch to metered/tiered pricing, but not start the tiers @ $30. Maybe have a 1GB package for $10-15 and 5GB for $30. 10GB for $45 and so on... No matter which device you use, you pay the same price per kilobyte.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy
    You mean a successful and lucrative business model?
    Yup. Sure was nice of us citizens to offer up our common resource to enable that lucrative business model for the benefit of AT&T shareholders.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate (07/10 - Present)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Would ATT tack on the $30/month if I blocked data, and only use wifi? I don't have a data plan now, and I'm almost always near an internet connection...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast