Thread: Nexus One Dock as an AMP?

Feedback Score

Nexus One Dock as an AMP?

EDITE to say that i'm useing T-Mobile on my Nexus One.

hello folks. over the last few days i've notice something strange about my nexus one and the nexus one dock. in my house my nexus one has 0 to 3 bars of signal on edge. even with 1, 2, 3 bars of signal the phone does not have a data connection despite it showing the E for edge. the phone also has issues making and holding phone calls.

well i notice that when i put my nexus one in the dock charger the bars goes to full! not only that i have stable edge connection with nice internet speeds. the phone is able to make and hold calls too.

I'm guessing that the nexus one dock acts as a booster or maybe the phone has a hardware/software issue that the dock seems to fix so long the phone is in the dock. has anyone else notice this with their nexus one and dock?

Feedback Score
    This is not unique to the dock, anytime the Nexus One is sitting still and doesnt have your hand covering the antennas at the bottom it will have better reception. Try it and see.

Feedback Score
    i understand what you're saying and i'm not new to cell phones to not have already try that. if i'm holding the nexus one at my home the signal does drop to zero or one bar. if i put the nexus one down next to my dock it holds onto 2 or 3 bars and if i put the nexus one in my charger it goes to 4 bars and allows me to have a constant data connection.

EDIT: I figure i'd drop the bars if that's vague detail and go with dBm for you.

in hands next to dock: 2 bars 103 dBm 5 asu
    no hands next to dock: 2 bars 101 dBm 6 asu
    in dock in same location: 4 bars 77 dBm 18 asu

i'm sorry guy. i know you are trying to be logical. but accept it or not the dock or at least my dock does something to my nexus one that increases reception far more than one think. without my dock the phone is useless in my house with no data connection. with the dock my phone works 100% in my house.

the ? i asked before was directed at those folks that have a nexues one in an area of bad service and with a dock to try this out their selves. not for those of you that are in a 3 or 4 bar location that wish to discredit me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't doubt that it increases signal strength.. what is your signal like with other phones on T-Mobile though?
    Bye!

Feedback Score
    I imagine that the N1 increases the power used for Tx/Rx when it is plugged in to AC power. Why dont you also test 'no hands, next to dock, plugged in' and see if it is similar to the in dock results? And for your no hands, next to dock' tests be sure the N1 is in the same position and at the same height it would be in the dock. Small changes in position can significantly change results.

Im sorry to be the one shooting your theory down, but the FCC certified the N1 dock, and there is no cellular hardware in there. Just a BT radio and power circuitry. You can look it up on their site if you want.

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagonist
    I imagine that the N1 increases the power used for Tx/Rx when it is plugged in to AC power. Why dont you also test 'no hands, next to dock, plugged in' and see if it is similar to the in dock results? And for your no hands, next to dock' tests be sure the N1 is in the same position and at the same height it would be in the dock. Small changes in position can significantly change results.

Im sorry to be the one shooting your theory down, but the FCC certified the N1 dock, and there is no cellular hardware in there. Just a BT radio and power circuitry. You can look it up on their site if you want.
    The transmit power of the phone is controlled by the network. The phone's transmitter is in the milliwatt range. WCDMA is all about low power to keep the noise floor down.

At home, my N1 performs the same whether hand held or docked. I have duplicated the aforementioned 3G signal loss when cupping both hands around the back of the phone. While not an attractive feature of the phone it was not a deal breaker for me. The N1 is a significant performance improvement over the G1 and I don't miss the keyboard as much as I thought I would.
    Unplugged Since 1999

Feedback Score
    I have started to hold it differently myself, it seems to help. It is annoying though.