Thread: Dedicated GPS vs. Google Maps Navigation Beta on Droid

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Dedicated GPS vs. Google Maps Navigation Beta on Droid

So, I switched from the Droid to the Palm Pre Plus about a month ago and I'm satisfied with the change. For me, the Droid was a big too large and Android was an unpolished user experience. I prefer the form factor and interface of webOS to use as my Verizon handset along with my iPhone 3GS.

Yet there was one thing which the Droid does better than any phone I've ever used: GPS. The speaker is extremely loud, the display is large and bright and the software is outstanding for a phone. It puts VZ Navigator on the Pre Plus to shame. But it is lacking in a few key ways...

1) No lane assistance of any kind (meaning that it lets you know which lane to be in at a seven lane junction to go where you need to go)
    2) No way to avoid toll roads or adjust your route
    3) Finding POIs can be a bit difficult and interrupts your route
    4) It doesn't really give you adequate warnings of turns or changes on occasion
    5) Traffic data isn't really employed in a useful to save me time

But overall, it's outstanding for something that is provided for free from Google and the satellite layer you can apply is neat (albeit not useful at all). Plus, it's connected to the internet so you can find data that might not be built in.

My question is: should I keep using the Droid for this task or should I sell it (its in perfect condition, purchased in November) and buy a nice high-end standalone GPS that would provide a more refined UI and experience? Are there any brands or models you guys prefer?

Thanks!
    Verizon Wireless - More bars in more places on the now network.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Get a Garmin Nuvi.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2) No way to avoid toll roads or adjust your route
    Yes there is, you can get 2-3 route choices and pick one. But I still am a Garmin toting fan! Phone nav is a long way away from that of a dedicated Nav, hell phones are faster, but the GPS chips in them are underpowered.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by readability View Post
    3) Finding POIs can be a bit difficult and interrupts your route
    4) It doesn't really give you adequate warnings of turns or changes on occasion
    All you have to do for POI is speak what you want into the search function and it will overlay a 5 mile radius on the map. Or, you can hit the settings button and overlay a POI within seconds.

If you don't use Google Nav anymore, then I would suggest using CoPilot on the Droid for the stand-a-lone GPS. It is only $5 for the U.S. map, and it can be updated for free through the provided desktop suite on a computer. It is really accurate and provides voice commands/guidance.

http://www.alk.com/copilot/# is the official site for CoPilot
    You can either eat the two peanuts I gave to you, or crush them..

- I'm bout to show a city slicker how to kick it in the sticks -

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Ameritech>GTE>Verizon since 1993
    Feedback Score
    If you don't use Google Nav anymore, then I would suggest using CoPilot on the Droid for the stand-a-lone GPS. It is only $5 for the U.S. map, and it can be updated for free through the provided desktop suite on a computer. It is really accurate and provides voice commands/guidance.

http://www.alk.com/copilot/# is the official site for CoPilot[/QUOTE]

Don't have a phone with the droid o/s, but I see one in coming in the near future. One question: Does the $5 buy the full application or just the U.S. map? On the web site, I noticed that the North America app is priced significantly higher: $30.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jduale51 View Post

http://www.alk.com/copilot/# is the official site for CoPilot
    Don't have a phone with the droid o/s, but I see one in coming in the near future. One question: Does the $5 buy the full application or just the U.S. map? On the web site, I noticed that the North America app is priced significantly higher: $30.[/QUOTE]

North America includes Canada, which is the $30 cost. The $5 buys the U.S. map, and you get the software suite download for free on your desktop.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Ameritech>GTE>Verizon since 1993
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Read some good reviews on it, but wasn't sure about that issue. Looking forward to getting into something i can use it on instead of my POS EnV Touch that reboots after 5 minutes of VZ Nav usage.

Feedback Score
    I have Copilot USA for Android for $5. Main reason for purchase was that I use my Android phone on Page Plus and have to pay for each byte of data, so wanted something with maps on SD card. Plus for $5 you can't really go wrong. I found Copilot somewhat lacking as far as POIs go - couldn't find Museum of Natural History in Manhattan. Often POIs are there but spelling is abbreviated so they are not easy to find by name. Address lookup and routing seem OK. Support is pretty good - I had application crash on my Droid Incredible in some reproducible situations. After I emailed support 2 weeks later they issued software update that fixed it.

I only use Copilot rarely for pedestrian navigation, never in the car. In the car (Jeep GC) I have standalone unit (430N) that runs Garmin software that is pretty much equivalent to Nuvi 1450 standalone unit that I also have. Even though Nuvi software is lacking in customization options the fact that it is integrated with car audio system and EVIC display makes it so much more convenient as opposed to having to setup my phone or Nuvi unit on some kind of mount and having no integration with car audio. Another positive side to built-in car nav is larger screen.

One thing I really like in Google Maps is that they immediately link you to reviews and ratings.

In your situation considering you don't really want Android as your phone I would recommend standalone Nuvi unit. Just make sure you read user reviews before making your decision about the model.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think google nav. is better because you can search point of interest with data built in on the phone.