Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recently buy the HTC Magic "+" from Rogers?

Carrier(s)
    Telus, then Rogers, now Telus
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Anyone recently buy the HTC Magic "+" from Rogers?

After that big 911 Emergency update on the Dream and magic, Rogers rebranded the Magic as +

Any differences on it?

P.S -I fell in love with the Nexus one i i'm dying for an android phone. I noticed the magic+ has the new HTC Sence UI?! If it has android 2.1 ill go pick it up right now. I also heard it cannot be rooted? (Sorry if htis is the wrong forum)

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I posted the same question under the Android section. Apparently the only change is the SenseUI. But it is still running 1.5. No other changes.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    so it cant be upgrade to 2.1? *EDIT actually, Rogers said they'll update it to 2.1 by mid-year. Cool.

also, i watched a video on how to turn off the Sense UI becuase some people said it's slow?

Is this true?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had used the Magic with the HoFo ROM on it for a couple of months, went back to the Iphone, now back to the Magic (post update).

IMHO the Rogers ROM feels much zippier and smoother than the rooted HoFo one (I didn't use stock Rogers at all or any other ROM). Certainly significantly faster than the Iphone 3G that I had before it was stolen. Now, this is a freshly formatted phone and I did take off the ZAGG screen protector, so that MAY play a roll in its responsiveness.

Either way it will hold me until the next Iphone release time and see what I may change over to.

EDIT - The new Rogers firmware also has flash support which was a pleasant surprise. I was browsing and was like, "is that flash?" It is!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Awesome. Good to hear. Did you use the 'old' Magic or the new magic+?

I just got off hte phone with someone from rogers and they werent sure if anything changed..

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "Old" Magic.

It was actually semi-bricked (caught in a boot cycle/wouldn't boot caused by me formatting it wrong/screwing up flashing another ROM) which is partially why I hadn't used it for a couple of months.

I updated the phone using the SD Card method with a card reader and it worked fine.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So since you have a magic, is it rootable just like all the other android phones?

Think the magic+ will be any different?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII (i747m)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The Magic+ is just the Magic with the ROM already patched for that bug that they forced everybody to manually update to. They're the same phones completely. Other than the fact they already have the new ROM which isn't rootable yet.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    so both phones are exactly the same except the 'plus' has the new rom already installed and its not rootable yet? no relabellings? not even on the box?

I want to buy one from craigslist or something, but how am i to know if it has the new rom without booting it up?

Anyone know when the new roms came out preinstalled? maybe i can check the manufacturing.date on the box or something?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoltrix12345678
    so it cant be upgrade to 2.1? *EDIT actually, Rogers said they'll update it to 2.1 by mid-year. Cool.

also, i watched a video on how to turn off the Sense UI becuase some people said it's slow?

Is this true?
    Really? Did you see this on their website somewhere?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogido
    Really? Did you see this on their website somewhere?

I saw it posted here

http://www.androidcentral.com/rogers...dream-will-not

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rogers said that when they released the htc sense ui update. To bad they didn't get the updated magic like t-mobile did with the built in 3.5mm headphone jack.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen
    Rogers said that when they released the htc sense ui update. To bad they didn't get the updated magic like t-mobile did with the built in 3.5mm headphone jack.

wow the magic doesnt have a headphone jack? what a waste

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate. HTC Magic, Nokia E71, Krazr K1m and old faithful HTC Dash
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoltrix12345678
    wow the magic doesnt have a headphone jack? what a waste
    No, it doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone jack, it does have the proprietary HTC headphone connector. If you don't like the HTC headset, go Bluetooth (I suggest the Motorola S9-HD, they are excellent) or you can buy an adapter to go from HTC to 3.5mm.
    Samsung Captivate I896
    FireFly 2.7 with SpeedMod K13D kernel

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Oh cool.. that's not too bad then.

So if i were to pick one up, what do you think its worth? I see a lot of $250-350 pricing on craigslist. Does that sound reasonable? Or should i save my money for something elsE?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast