Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Bluetooth in Airplane mode

Device(s)
    Droid -Motorola V750 Motorola V9M - Alltel
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

No Bluetooth in Airplane mode

OK perhaps I am crazy but I could have swore the last time I flew that my bluetooth worked in airplane mode - perhaps it was actually still on - I like listening to my music and movies on the plane with the mot. S9 headsets - not great for calls but great for media... any idea's any work arounds...

edit.. I may have just used wired headsets.. not sure why bluetooth would not work but wifi would in airplane mode..

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From what I thought, bluetooth is disabled in airplane mode on all phones. I never used my s9's on a plane because of this. I guess wifi would still work because there's no signal to catch at 30,000 ft.

Why would anyone want to find a work around for this? Is listening to music & movies more important than staying in the air? Remember, other lives are on that plan too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Glass
    OK perhaps I am crazy but I could have swore the last time I flew that my bluetooth worked in airplane mode - perhaps it was actually still on - I like listening to my music and movies on the plane with the mot. S9 headsets - not great for calls but great for media... any idea's any work arounds...

edit.. I may have just used wired headsets.. not sure why bluetooth would not work but wifi would in airplane mode..
    Airplane mode anything that transmits is off. Bluetooth transmits, so it goes off. Okay, before the super nitpickers pop in, yes any electronic device with a computer chip makes a weak signal, but I'm talking about the actual transmitters. They all go off in airplane mode, as they should.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack
    From what I thought, bluetooth is disabled in airplane mode on all phones. I never used my s9's on a plane because of this. I guess wifi would still work because there's no signal to catch at 30,000 ft.

Why would anyone want to find a work around for this? Is listening to music & movies more important than staying in the air? Remember, other lives are on that plan too.

I find that pretty useless - most laptops as well as mouse/mice are bluetooth - not sure your reasoning holds water...

If bluetooth can take down a plane we are sure in a world of hurt.. lmao

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I find that pretty useless - most laptops as well as mouse/mice are bluetooth - not sure your reasoning holds water...

If bluetooth can take down a plane we are sure in a world of hurt.. lmao
    When studies show that bluetooth & other signals are safe to use in a plane then everyone will be free to use. Since you don't know what a signal might do to certain electronics aboard a plane why take the chance? What background or research do you have to say other wise?

On another note:
    I seen a guy the other day in sitting in the back of a pickup truck smoking a cigarette at the gas pump while the driver was filling up. I asked him if his smoking a cigarette was so important that he would risk blowing all of us up. He said "man ain't nothin gonna happen". I got in my trunk and left as quick as I could.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When studies show that bluetooth & other signals are safe to use in a plane then everyone will be free to use. Since you don't know what a signal might do to certain electronics aboard a plane why take the chance? What background or research do you have to say other wise?

On another note:
    I seen a guy the other day in sitting in the back of a pickup truck smoking a cigarette at the gas pump while the driver was filling up. I asked him if his smoking a cigarette was so important that he would risk blowing all of us up. He said "man ain't nothin gonna happen". I got in my trunk and left as quick as I could.
    sorry I cant help but laugh - If there were even the remote chance of bluetooth taking down a plane - your phone/laptop would be checked period.. Do you seriously think they would let any potential terrorist on a plane with that device - then simply ask them to turn it off - and trust them to..... seriously?

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    sorry I cant help but laugh - If there were even the remote chance of bluetooth taking down a plane - your phone/laptop would be checked period.. Do you seriously think they would let any potential terrorist on a plane with that device - then simply ask them to turn it off - and trust them to..... seriously?
    I agree with you, not say it would take down a plane but it has not gotten an ok for the phone makers to leave it out of the airplane mode.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 | Moto X | Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I agree with you, not say it would take down a plane but it has not gotten an ok for the phone makers to leave it out of the airplane mode.
    Depends on where you fly. Europeans have been using cell phones inflight for almost 2 years (Link). And they're allowing this in the same airplanes we fly here in the states (Boeing, Airbus).

Device(s)
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Nothing on a phone takes down a plane, otherwise we'd have planes going down all over the place daily because so many people ignore requests to shut everything off.

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pgens
    Nothing on a phone takes down a plane, otherwise we'd have planes going down all over the place daily because so many people ignore requests to shut everything off.
    I Agree, so it must be some other reason why the U.S. does not allow it?

Device(s)
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Probably passenger comfort. Listening to phone conversatipns on a flight would be incredibly aggrivating. I wouldn't fly on a carrier that allowed it.

Device(s)
    My current one
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon first then
    Feedback Score
    The air lines won't allow car gps's (like the garmin nuvi) to run on the plane. Even though it doesn't transmit a signal. After the plane is up and running or not. But I can hook my GPS (Magellen sport track) to my laptop and watch where we are going without a worry???? Why is that. Because their STUPID.

Silence your phone and turn airplane mode off nothing will happen.

As posted above if cell phones caused interference then they would watch for them like guns and c4

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah could be a multitude of reasons I guess - also I was kinda wanting to not get bothered by any calls but use my phone for non-phone reasons - seems like there should be a seperate mode to do that - ya know for some quality "ME" time... lol my Droid is way more than a phone -seems like I should have a choice of having the phone option on or off...

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Anybody ever hear what happens when a blackberry is placed next to a speaker or radio? There is an odd but unique sounding static when the device sends and receives data which clearly demonstrates interference with surrounding electronics. It sounds sort've like a cryptic Morse code. Irritating during a business meeting or presentation using PowerPoint with sound, creepy in my car (mine is drive-by-wire) so the thought of having any electronic signal static in a plane is frankly unnerving. Then again, maybe I'm getting old and paranoid in my senior years.

Then again, maybe it's just with BB, which is for my job only. Yet another reason my Droid is a superior device...

Device(s)
    moto A855
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brewynz
    Anybody ever hear what happens when a blackberry is placed next to a speaker or radio? There is an odd but unique sounding static when the device sends and receives data which clearly demonstrates interference with surrounding electronics. It sounds sort've like a cryptic Morse code. Irritating during a business meeting or presentation using PowerPoint with sound, creepy in my car (mine is drive-by-wire) so the thought of having any electronic signal static in a plane is frankly unnerving. Then again, maybe I'm getting old and paranoid in my senior years.

Then again, maybe it's just with BB, which is for my job only. Yet another reason my Droid is a superior device...
    Does your BB happen to be GSM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast