Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: tethering CDMA phones and your best speeds?

Device(s)
    HTC Evo Design 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score

tethering CDMA phones and your best speeds?

i plan on getting a boost phone, and would like to be able to tether to my Mac. what would be the best phone to buy, to get the best speeds ?

thanks.

Feedback Score
    The "Beginners" thread contains a list of phones that work with Boost CDMA. If you see 3G next to a phone it means that phone is a "fast" data phone (technically, it has EVDO-Rev. A.) Research the phones with that designation to see how easy or difficult it is to tether with it. Generally speaking, phones running on Windows Mobile AND have Wifi have the easiest time to tether because you can use a program called WMWifiRouter to turn your phone into a Wifi Hotspot. Beyond that see about USB tethering and make sure the phone of your choice has an easy time with it (look for previous discussions and How-to's via google.)

Device(s)
    HTC Evo Design 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    thanks !, well im looking for actual numbers, or user experience.

i have read the FAQ, and i know which phones can do what, but i would like to hear from those that have done it.!! thanks for your input !

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Frankly, I'd like the users who do tethering keep it low profile to stay under the radar. I think tethering is NOT take for granted, that means you have to "port in" Sprint phones (especially smartphones) to make it done. I wouldn't want to see anything bad happens because some users boast how good the tethering is.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier(s)
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    Lol. Some started a thread like this yesterday. If you scroll down a little you will see it.

/thread

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    Frankly, I'd like the users who do tethering keep it low profile to stay under the radar. I think tethering is NOT take for granted, that means you have to "port in" Sprint phones (especially smartphones) to make it done. I wouldn't want to see anything bad happens because some users boast how good the tethering is.
    Sprint has known all too well that users of the original Instinct were doing PAM behind their backs for a long while, especially since they originally promoted the phone at launch as including PAM. They made a change last minute, saying PAM was not included with Everything Data and disabled the setting in the phone. However, it was easy enough to re-enable and the tech savvy have been doing it ever since. They've been tolerant of it for the most part, as long as users haven't been violating the 5GB cap regularly. In fact during one of my last chats with a Sprint CS Rep at a sprint store in NY, he could tell my phone had Tethering enabled and told me he did the same as well, and said not to worry as long as I kept under the 5GB cap overall.

General rule of thumb with tethering on Sprint with phones that they say they don't support (i.e. they dont sell a PAM option) is stay under the 5GB a month and they're not gonna bother you. I would say it's fair to assume Boost will probably deal with it the same way. I was also told Sprint can not tell if you are PAMing with a phone they don't specifically sell with that option, only if you're using levels of data that are pretty much impossible to achieve on a phone by itself.

To be safe, use tethering only for occasional surfing when wifi is not available, and avoid using it heavily (Watching video, downloading bittorrents). A few people on the Instinct forums did report getting thrown off Sprint for excessive data usage, but they were abusing it (using it as a primary internet connection, going way over the 5GB cap for several months in a row.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mzxeternal
    Sprint has known all too well that users of the original Instinct were doing PAM behind their backs for a long while, especially since they originally promoted the phone at launch as including PAM. They made a change last minute, saying PAM was not included with Everything Data and disabled the setting in the phone. However, it was easy enough to re-enable and the tech savvy have been doing it ever since. They've been tolerant of it for the most part, as long as users haven't been violating the 5GB cap regularly. In fact during one of my last chats with a Sprint CS Rep at a sprint store in NY, he could tell my phone had Tethering enabled and told me he did the same as well, and said not to worry as long as I kept under the 5GB cap overall.

General rule of thumb with tethering on Sprint with phones that they say they don't support (i.e. they dont sell a PAM option) is stay under the 5GB a month and they're not gonna bother you. I would say it's fair to assume Boost will probably deal with it the same way. I was also told Sprint can not tell if you are PAMing with a phone they don't specifically sell with that option, only if you're using levels of data that are pretty much impossible to achieve on a phone by itself.

To be safe, use tethering only for occasional surfing when wifi is not available, and avoid using it heavily (Watching video, downloading bittorrents). A few people on the Instinct forums did report getting thrown off Sprint for excessive data usage, but they were abusing it (using it as a primary internet connection, going way over the 5GB cap for several months in a row.

So, could you tell how tethering is re-enabled on the Instinct? I just got one today and activated it on Boost CDMA, but have to get used to the limitations of the Samsung OS vs. the WinMo phones I am used to.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo Design 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    thanks MZXETERNAL. im not looking to download torrents or go crazy with a good high speed tether. but when i do tether I still would like a nice high speed connect. My job might have me traveling soon, so i want to be able to whip out the laptop, get online, get the daily reports or schematics i need from my company quickly, and get off. what im looking for is a phone that plays nice with Macs can sync with iSync, for contacts and calendar, can tether at 3G or EDGE, and be cheap about it.

do i have to get a CDMA phone first?

I dont have an account yet with boost, so can i just get a used CDMA phone, maybe the Motorola Rzr (3G) and start the account with that or is it totally confirmed that I need to start the account first with an official w385 ? or one of the other CDMA phones?

thanks for you help guys, and just so you know, i seen the other threads regarding this, but they dont have any answers. and searching this site is taking me hours!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgepa
    So, could you tell how tethering is re-enabled on the Instinct? I just got one today and activated it on Boost CDMA, but have to get used to the limitations of the Samsung OS vs. the WinMo phones I am used to.
    No prob man, least I can do since you gave me a hand earlier.

This is the procedure from ehow.com for PAM on the M800.

Step 1
    Aquire your Unlock Code. Every phone has a unique unlock code. Fortunately for us these codes are not safeguarded and there are plenty of perfectly legitamate reasons to have yours. All you have to do is call sprint customer service from a phone that is not your Instinct. The number is 888-211-4727. Follow the message prompts to get to a customer service representative. Explain to the Sprint rep that your phone is acting up and freezing and you need your unlock code to perform a master reset. The rep will give you a six digit code. WRITE IT DOWN. (SEE BELOW FOR AN ALTERNATIVE TO CALLING SPRINT, ESPECIALLY SINCE YOUR ON BOOST NOW)

Step 2
    Pick up your Instinct and go to the dialer. Push ##DEBUGMENU# (##332846368#) this will prompt you for your unlock code. Enter your unlock code. This will bring you to a menu, towards the bottom of the menu it will say Toggle NAI. Go ahead and touch that. Switch it to OFF. Your Instinct is now ready to be used as a modem.

Step 3
    Prepare your PC. Connect your Instinct via USB cable, this will automatically begin installing the CDMA modem drivers. If it does not you can get them from http://www.soft32.com/download_173416.html. (These are available from Windows Update, I think and also the Samsung Instinct CD that came with the phone)

Step 4
    Once your drivers are installed go to your start menu and click Connect To. On the window that pops up, at the bottom, will be an option to "set up connection or network" click that. Scroll down to "Set Up A Dial Up Connection." It then may ask you which modem you would like to use, if this is the case choose "Samsung Mobile Modem."

Step5
    Here it will prompt you for some login information. The only thing we are concerned with is the Dial-up phone number. Enter #777 and leave the user name and password blank.
    Step 6
    Click connect and begin surfing the web.

There's also several videos of the process on Youtube, also since you can't call Sprint for the MSL, you can extract the MSL straight from the phone using a special program. For more info, read this...
    http://www.instinct-samsung.com/index.php?topic=1837.0

That board is also an excellent source for tons of instinct specific info.

Also if you have a s30 the method is a little different, but you can do it there too
    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho....php?p=2158081

Quote Originally Posted by loneshark
    thanks MZXETERNAL. im not looking to download torrents or go crazy with a good high speed tether. but when i do tether I still would like a nice high speed connect. My job might have me traveling soon, so i want to be able to whip out the laptop, get online, get the daily reports or schematics i need from my company quickly, and get off. what im looking for is a phone that plays nice with Macs can sync with iSync, for contacts and calendar, can tether at 3G or EDGE, and be cheap about it.

do i have to get a CDMA phone first?

I dont have an account yet with boost, so can i just get a used CDMA phone, maybe the Motorola Rzr (3G) and start the account with that or is it totally confirmed that I need to start the account first with an official w385 ? or one of the other CDMA phones?

thanks for you help guys, and just so you know, i seen the other threads regarding this, but they dont have any answers. and searching this site is taking me hours!
    Well i'm not sure which phones support PAM on Mac, but you definately want to start with a BOOST CDMA first. Not sure if any of them support Mac for theathering though. You might want to do some homework on Google.

I did find a page on setting up the Instinct PAM on Macintosh. This could be helpful...
    http://www.nateclark.com/articles/20...wireless-modem

Device(s)
    HTC Evo Design 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    hmmm interesting... thanks. the instinct is an ugly phone tho...

i was thinking more along the lines of motorola Razr 3G > tethered via bluetooth > to the mac. but im not sure that will work either.... I am still searching for a Sprint Motorola Razr v3xx 3G, and i cant find any. all im finding are the v3xx for AT&T. if thats the case then why is the Razr 3G in the list of CDMA phones that "might" work on the boost network. ??

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

i was thinking more along the lines of motorola Razr 3G > tethered via bluetooth > to the mac. but im not sure that will work either.... I am still searching for a Sprint Motorola Razr v3xx 3G, and i cant find any. all im finding are the v3xx for AT&T. if thats the case then why is the Razr 3G in the list of CDMA phones that "might" work on the boost network. ??
    Sprint 3G is known as EVDO Rev.0 or EVDO Rev.A, A being faster, but from what I can see all the Sprint Razrs are EVDO Rev 0. Also I did some homework, Boosts Razr the w385 has PAM disabled internally, and there is no Motorola Phone tools for Mac, so not sure if you'd be able to get any Motorola phone to do PAM on Mac.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo Design 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    so how does the iphone do it ? b4 the update that killed iphone tethering in the US. did the iphone do PAM ? or some other method.

if u watch this vid, it has been done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCv2smPZoDs

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    so how does the iphone do it ? b4 the update that killed iphone tethering in the US. did the iphone do PAM ? or some other method.
    It did do PAM (which simply stands for phone as modem). The problem you have is you need to find a phone that both has a driver for Macintosh, and supports tethering.

However one option is if you go with a blackberry on boost, you could purchase tetherberry, which supports Win and Mac. This method also can not be detected or disabled by boost.

http://tether.com/tour

Device(s)
    HTC Evo Design 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    doesnt some blackberrys act as a wifi station ? what would be the easiest.

Feedback Score

In your case you want to make it simple for yourself and use WifiRouter to create a Wifi hotspot with your phone. Then you can just look for your phone with your Mac's wireless and log on. Easy as pie. So, look for phones that have Windows Mobile and Wifi. They can run this application.

You have to start a CDMA account first, so you should probably look in the "Borrowing ESNs" thread to avoid having to actually buy a Boost CDMA phone. After your account is established moving any Sprint phone (except a couple models) in is very easy, you can even do it right on the Sprint.com website.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast