Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Getting the Nexus one cheapest way possible

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    117
    Device(s)
    Damn Nokia 6030.
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Getting the Nexus one cheapest way possible

    8 Year customer on Unlimited Loyalty.family plan. Havent upgraded a phone in years, but cannot use my upgrade to purchase an N1.



    Heres the nitty gritty. While it's not the most honest thing to do, money is money and this is legal.



    Based off of the new lowered ETF of the N1. Is it possible to open a New line with Tmo separate from my own account, get the N1 for $179,cancel within the 14 days with Tmo while keeping the N1 and pay the 150 ETF fee from N1 for a total of $330? You should not incur the $200 etf from Tmo for cancelling within the first 14 days...



    I am sure others are curious as well.



    If it were possible for me to upgrade, I would have buy they really went about this the wrong way.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,013
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you cancel before the remorse period is over you must return the phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    117
    Device(s)
    Damn Nokia 6030.
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    or else?

    They keep the 179 I paid for the phone and charge me the 150 Equipment recovery fee?

    Where else would I be charged any more?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Have you read the Terms of Sale? To cancel within the return window REQUIRES an RMA and return of the device!
    http://www.google.com/phone/static/e...s_of_sale.html
    http://www.google.com/support/androi...&answer=166521

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,812
    Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7
    Have you read the Terms of Sale? To cancel within the return window REQUIRES an RMA and return of the device!
    http://www.google.com/phone/static/e...s_of_sale.html
    http://www.google.com/support/androi...&answer=166521
    Do you see that in the Terms of Sale?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    209
    Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftblst2319
    or else?

    They keep the 179 I paid for the phone and charge me the 150 Equipment recovery fee?

    Where else would I be charged any more?
    They will charge you the full price of the phone if you do not return it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,812
    Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dorseto
    They will charge you the full price of the phone if you do not return it.
    Who will? Google will not even accept it if you have it engraved.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Q
    Who will? Google will not even accept it if you have it engraved.
    Tmobile will not waive the ETF fee if you cancel within the 14 day window and have not returned the phone.

    Cancellation and Return Policy. For contracts of 1 year or more, I may cancel my service without paying a termination fee if I return all devices I acquired with my activation within 14 days from my activation (Return Period). The Return Period may be longer in some states. I may have to pay a restocking fee for any device I return. If my Rate Plan (including voice or certain data plans or services) is cancelled after the Return Period, I will be required to pay an EARLY TERMINATION FEE OF UP TO $200 PER LINE OF SERVICE on contracts of 1-year or more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,812
    Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by imsuperjp
    Tmobile will not waive the ETF fee if you cancel within the 14 day window and have not returned the phone.

    Cancellation and Return Policy. For contracts of 1 year or more, I may cancel my service without paying a termination fee if I return all devices I acquired with my activation within 14 days from my activation (Return Period). The Return Period may be longer in some states. I may have to pay a restocking fee for any device I return. If my Rate Plan (including voice or certain data plans or services) is cancelled after the Return Period, I will be required to pay an EARLY TERMINATION FEE OF UP TO $200 PER LINE OF SERVICE on contracts of 1-year or more.
    You didn't answer my question. Where would you return an engraved N1? The previous terms said you paid the full price of the phone, less what you have already paid. The revised terms do not.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Q
    You didn't answer my question. Where would you return an engraved N1? The previous terms said you paid the full price of the phone, less what you have already paid. The revised terms do not.
    Google will accept an engraved, undeliverable return for an additional $45. Ergo, if you refuse delivery, even on an engraved phone, it CAN be returned, albeit with a $45 fee tacked on.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Q
    Do you see that in the Terms of Sale?
    Yes. It's in the Return/RMA section. This applies if you are cancelling the device AND service (unhappy with both). If you are happy with the device, but not the service, you can cancel the TMO contract, incur the ERF from Google, and be on your way with the Nexus on another plan/service.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,812
    Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7
    If you are happy with the device, but not the service, you can cancel the TMO contract, incur the ERF from Google, and be on your way with the Nexus on another plan/service.
    But the question is, will T-mobile hit you with their $200 ETF even though you would not send the phone to them under any scenario. It appears there is no penalty in at least trying it since the most you will pay is $530.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    430
    Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Q
    But the question is, will T-mobile hit you with their $200 ETF even though you would not send the phone to them under any scenario. It appears there is no penalty in at least trying it since the most you will pay is $530.
    As long as the cancellation occurs in the grace period, there IS NO ETF, is simply does not exist during the grace period. TMO has no 'lock' on this phone, only a subsidy. Google collects the subsidy(ERF) if you cancel the TMO contract.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,033
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you cancel or downgrade your T-Mobile service within 120 days of activation, you will be charged an Equipment Recovery Fee of
    US$150.00
    .

    More information about the Equipment Recovery Fee can be found in the Terms of Sale. You authorize Google to charge this amount to your credit card if you cancel or downgrade your service plan within the 120 day period. If you qualify, you may be able to avoid this Equipment Recovery Fee by either reactivating your service plan or returning the handset for a refund minus a restocking fee. Phone returns are accepted only during the return period set out in the Return Policy and only for phones that have not been engraved with a personal message. Returning the phone does not cancel your T-Mobile contract and you may also be subject to early termination fees based on that agreement.





    Just from looking at the statement Google will charge you 150 for the ERF. I don't see how T Mobile would charge any penalty as long as you cancel the plan within 14 days. Seems like a smart way to get the Nexus for 329.00 (179.00 + 150)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,812
    Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    plus activation and prorated cost of monthly plan

Bookmarks