Thread: Better for number port - ESN or MEID?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid3
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Better for number port - ESN or MEID?

This has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask again: Which number is more reliable for porting a number (and phone) into PP+?? The 13 digit MEID or the 8 digit ESN??

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by partsguyx
    This has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask again: Which number is more reliable for porting a number (and phone) into PP+?? The 13 digit MEID or the 8 digit ESN??
    Your phone has either an MEID or an ESN, not both. You might be confusing the pESN with an ESN though; if it has an MEID and a pESN, then you need to use the MEID.
    Trevor Keith
    [email protected]

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If both are listed you have a newer phone with a MEID system, use that number not the "ESN." Older phones list only an ESN.

Device(s)
    Droid RAZR and RAZR M
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305
    If both are listed you have a newer phone with a MEID system, use that number not the "ESN." Older phones list only an ESN.
    Not true HF... The "ESN" where 'both' are listed is actually a pESN, and not useful for this system at all.
    Just the Smilies I like: Ok, I'm done.

DISCLAIMER: I am not liable for any damage to any phones from my suggestions. Please be a responsible cell phone owner.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid3
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wireless
    Your phone has either an MEID or an ESN, not both. You might be confusing the pESN with an ESN though; if it has an MEID and a pESN, then you need to use the MEID.
    You are quite right! The 8 digit "ESN" is listed as: (p)ESN

All of which is very confusing! Someone mentioned the "newer" phones having just the MEID listed. How new? I getting ready to port over my wifes LG 9700 Dare this week, it's about 2 years old. Is that when the MEID numbers came into being?

Device(s)
    Optimus Elite & F6
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's easy, allows use the number that starts with A000000X XXXXX or A100000X XXXXX for Verizon and Altel phones. MEID is always hexadecimal, represented by 14 characters that are numbers and letters. The first digit is always A-F. Don't confuse the letter O with the number 0 (zero). It is always a zero. Only letters A-F are in an ESN/MEID. Older phones wont show a MEID just a ESN which is an 11-digit Electronic Serial Number. An ESN in hexadecimal, or HEX, is represented by 8 characters that are numbers and letters.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm personally quite annoyed that PagePlus still says "ESN" instead of "MEID/ESN" or just "MEID".

ESN is outdated, and new phones don't have them. They have a pESN (psuedo-ESN), but those are non-unique and only exist for backwards compatibility. Activating a phone with one is just asking for trouble.

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaDNA
    MEID is always hexadecimal, represented by 14 characters that are numbers and letters.
    Actually, MEID's can have HEX and DEC just like ESN's. My Treo Pro has both MEID versions on the box.
    iPhone 7 Plus - Sprint SERO
    iPhone 6 Plus - Altice (testing)

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by excelblue
    I'm personally quite annoyed that PagePlus still says "ESN" instead of "MEID/ESN" or just "MEID".
    In the generic sense, they are both Electronic Serial Numbers. The MEID just has a different format.

Device(s)
    Droid RAZR and RAZR M
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by excelblue

ESN is outdated, and new phones don't have them. They have a pESN (psuedo-ESN), but those are non-unique and only exist for backwards compatibility. Activating a phone with one is just asking for trouble.
    Well... At this point, I'd have to disagree with you. I always say ESN or MEID. And ESN is not outdated. Several Crackberries have ESNs, and so do a few other phones. More or less, they are equivalent. MEID just allows for more developers/devices per developer.

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If the phone has a MEID, you MUST use it. If you try to use the ESN when a phone has a MEID, the use will fail. This can be a major problem if you use the pESN to check to see if the phone has been blacklisted. Verizon will check using the ESN, but since it not valid, the check will return clear, even if the phone is on the list. Even thou Verizon could tell that the ESN was not valid, their system doesn't do this check.

All phones being used on the Verizon system have a built in serial number, the original design used a 32 bit value (ESN), which everyone thought was big enough, but they started running out of allocated number in 2009/2010, so 5 or 6 years ago, the phone system developed a new serial number system that used a 56 bit value (MEID). All NEW phones being sold today have MEID, but older used/refurbished phones could have ESN. When the first phones with MEID came out, to make them work, Verizon developed the pESN that converted the MEID into a ESN to work in the phone system switches until the switches could get upgraded. All the switches have been upgraded and the pESN no longer works, only the MEID.

An ESN can can be easily identified as an pESN because the hex value ALWAYS starts with the hex value of 80, and it my understanding that the Verizon ESN porting/changeeg software checks for this and will reject an ESN that starts with 80hex since it knows it a pESN and not valid.

Feedback Score
    On my audiovox

Sample only not real numbers/letters

FCC ID #

1ABC2345

The 123 does not work but the 1ABC does work.