Thread: Charlevoix, Petoskey & Harbor Springs MI--ditigal yet?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Charlevoix, Petoskey & Harbor Springs MI--ditigal yet?

Going up there this weekend. Are they digitial yet (on Alltel's network, and on Verizon's through the Extended Network)?

Any info is appreciated!!

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    O2 Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am halfway between Charlevoix and TC but no digital here yet. Did you have digital coverage in Petoskey and Charlevoix?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Returned today from up north. Report: While Charlevoix, Petosky and Harbor Springs are all, indeed, Extended Network (as is, surprisingly, Cross Village), sad to report that all are analog w/ a pretty crappy signal. I had even forgot how bad analog is, but the poor quality of signal, busy network and poor battery life brought it all back to me. Looking forward to Alltel's conversion of those areas over to CDMA soon....(at least by ski season!).

One interesting note: while on the bike path between Charlevoix and Bay Harbor, I picked up SID 5 digital, with a piped in time that was in the Centeral Time Zone. Haven't had time to look it up, but I suspect that I somehow connected with a native Verizon signal from somewhere in either Illinois or Wisconsin.

Device(s)
    Sanyo SCP-8400
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ronss
    Returned today from up north. Report: While Charlevoix, Petosky and Harbor Springs are all, indeed, Extended Network (as is, surprisingly, Cross Village)...
    What is this "extended network?" If one has an "America's Choice" plan through VZW is this area included or does one pay roaming/LD charges?

I too am sick of the lack of CDMA coverage in that area, was just up there myself this past weekend (mostly Walloon Lake)! Sprint has at least some digital coverage in the Traverse City area through their affiliate, AirGate PCS, but I hear it is not so great, and it definitely doesn't go much further North than TC. GSM coverage through NPI Wireless (and partners T-Mobile and Cingular) is supposed to be pretty good in that area, I'm thinking of switching.

Even more off the subject, does anyone know what the deal is with CellularOne in the Petoskey area? I saw at least one store; maybe it was a RadioShack. Is this CDMA, or something else (like TDMA)?

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    O2 Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Cellular One is TDMA. Their digital service is actually pretty good, probably one of the better ones in this region. Too bad their coverage area is pretty small, roaming charges very high and the technology going nowhere.

Device(s)
    Motorola V710
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

SID 5

According to the SID list located at http://www.mountainwireless.com/
    SID 5 belongs to US Cellular.

Brad

Device(s)
    Audiovox SMT5600
    Carrier(s)
    CingulAT
    Feedback Score
    Having a lot of family in the Charlevoix area I can tell you most people up there are going with NPI - the coverage is the best of anything in the north, and they have roaming agreements with EVERYONE ... my brother is on a trip right now and roams (for free) onto T-Mobile, Cingular AND AT&T 1900GSM networks... I as a T-Mobile customer cannot roam onto AT&T's signal in the detroit market, but he can. :O

Device(s)
    Moto Q
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    NPI also lets you roam in parts of Canada, which is a big plus for Michiganders

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    O2 Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I talked to an Alltel rep in Traverse City a couple of weeks ago and she told me Alltel would have their TDMA to CDMA conversion done in Northern Michigan in about a month. Did anyone get any digital signals lately or has more info on the conversion progress in NW Michigan?

Feedback Score
    Modern day review! Charlevoix and Petoskey have Verizon 4G LTE, and both are fast, it's 12-16 mpbs reliably, and follows 31 south the majority of the way to Traverse. Att and their MVNOs off what att calls 4G (HSPA+) with the same reliability. ATT speed is 3-7 mbps. no real complaints about either. In my experience VZW beats all north of GR, and honestly anywhere ive been, but cost too much more there other viable alternatives.

Device(s)
    Moto X (Current) Q10, Bold 9930, Blackberry 9700 (All Retired)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW and AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew04 View Post
    Modern day review! Charlevoix and Petoskey have Verizon 4G LTE, and both are fast, it's 12-16 mpbs reliably, and follows 31 south the majority of the way to Traverse. Att and their MVNOs off what att calls 4G (HSPA+) with the same reliability. ATT speed is 3-7 mbps. no real complaints about either. In my experience VZW beats all north of GR, and honestly anywhere ive been, but cost too much more there other viable alternatives.
    Holy crap! Talk about bringing an old thread back to life! That being said, it's pretty amazing the progress that has been made. I agree with you, VZW beats all in Northern Michigan, regardless of the LP or UP.