Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deutsche Telekom Weighs IPO for T-Mobile USA

Feedback Score
    The dropped roaming in upstate NY around Elmira before they had their network in place which was quite frustrating since on trips through the area I was stuck on Emergency Only service. However, their network has been in place for over a year there now so the AT&T agreements were no longer needed there.[/QUOTE]

In our market since May 24th 2009 they have not replaced or improved the market, glad your market finally got there.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcdld
    They dropped roaming in upstate NY around Elmira before they had their network in place which was quite frustrating since on trips through the area I was stuck on Emergency Only service. However, their network has been in place for over a year there now so the AT&T agreements were no longer needed there.

In our market since May 24th 2009 they have replaced or improved the market, glad your market finally got there.
    In November 2008, I was traveling through the area to Canada and once I got to what was the AT&T roaming area west of Binghamton, I could not make or receive calls. When I got back to T-Mobile coverage area around Wayland, NY, I called T-Mobile CS to find out what was wrong. They acted clueless and said it must be a networking issue that should be resolved shortly. On my return trip a week later it still wasn't working. Only found out later on that the roaming agreements were canceled and they basically lied to me by saying it was a network problem instead of telling me there was no roaming. Even the T-Mobile web site continued to show roaming in effect when it wasn't. Only the former Dobson areas still worked at that time.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jtx
    In November 2008, I was traveling through the area to Canada and once I got to what was the AT&T roaming area west of Binghamton, I could not make or receive calls. When I got back to T-Mobile coverage area around Wayland, NY, I called T-Mobile CS to find out what was wrong. They acted clueless and said it must be a networking issue that should be resolved shortly. On my return trip a week later it still wasn't working. Only found out later on that the roaming agreements were canceled and they basically lied to me by saying it was a network problem instead of telling me there was no roaming. Even the T-Mobile web site continued to show roaming in effect when it wasn't. Only the former Dobson areas still worked at that time.

As i am sure the CS also said it must be your hand set or you need a new sim

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly
    You can take it to the bank that 5 years from now there will only be “the big 2″ AT&T and Verizon. The United Corporations of America have determined the way to improve profits is to allow any and all mergers regardless of it’s effect on competition, customer service, or quality of service. We have the best government money can buy. Look for T-Mobile to be sold to ATT maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but certainly by the mid part of the decade.
    As much as I don't want to believe it I honestly think what you just posted will come to pass. After a few years money will talk and AT&T will walk.... away with T-Mobile customers. And if not AT&T, VZW... it won't really matter who gets them because they are shifting everyone to LTE so the network incompatibilities does not really make a difference in the long run.

Competition is so mutha F'in stifled in this country it's not even funny. The big two only compete with the big two, the government created these monsters, the government will then try to regulate these two monsters when it's too late, and the people buy into it. America is backwards.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey
    it won't really matter who gets them because they are shifting everyone to LTE so the network incompatibilities does not really make a difference in the long run.
    Except Verizon will continue to charge platinum prices and AT&T will still have terrible backend bandwidth. That I can take to the bank.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey
    The big two only compete with the big two
    Yeah, I'd much rather go back to the days of "competition" where the country was dotted with various carriers, and if you traveled to another city you were lucky if your phone would even roam because you could be certain your local carrier had no coverage there. Those were the days...

There's plenty of competition today. Maybe you should visit these forums. There's companies like Cricket, MetroPCS, Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc. The fact that many people prefer paying higher rates at the Big 2, is their free choice.

I have way more choices for cell service at way better prices than I did five years ago. There's a banner ad at the top of this page advertising unlimited talk & text for $25. Who offered that during your past days of competition?

You're whining about something for no reason.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Frankly, I will leave T-Mobile once my contract expires, and:
    add 2 data lines with Clear.com (and cancel VZ DSL altogether).
    move my main number to prepaid and it won't be T-Mobile (perhaps boost CDMA, but N900 won't work).

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly
    You can take it to the bank that 5 years from now there will only be “the big 2″ AT&T and Verizon. The United Corporations of America have determined the way to improve profits is to allow any and all mergers regardless of it’s effect on competition, customer service, or quality of service. We have the best government money can buy. Look for T-Mobile to be sold to ATT maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but certainly by the mid part of the decade.
    ATT will never be able to buy T-Mobile. The feds aren't going to let it happen. That would be a total monopoly of the GSM network in the US...bad news. It won't happen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 plus, Google Nexus 6p, Blackberry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile, Google Fi, Vivo Brasil
    Feedback Score
    Chances of AT&T being the buyer are slim, but if that came to pass I would cancel ASAP. I'll use a flashed Mogul on Cricket before I give the deathstar a dime. Sprint's CS has improved a lot but the network integration will be a cluster****.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score
    I think it would be a nightmare if T-Mobile merged with Sprint. And if that nightmare happened, it would be absolutely lunacy if Sprint decided to take T-Mobile's customers backwards and make them switch from their GSM/SIM based phones to CDMA. The other way around (Sprint customers merging into the existing and then expanding T-Mobile network) is the only way this would make sense.

I use AT&T postpaid and T-Mobile for prepaid. While neither is perfect, I'm satisfied. I had Sprint up until about three years ago. I asked for a replacement phone from Sprint (still under warranty) because the earpiece all of a sudden lost volume. They said no. Tough luck, since the phone still works. Big deal if you can only hear it if you lock yourself in a closet. I got into a small argument. And even after speaking to a supervisor, they said no replacement phone. The supervisor then made an ultimatum to me, saying if you just don't like things, then leave us. I did. Switched to AT&T and didn't look back. I can't say enough bad things about Sprint since then. Anyone who asks me about Sprint, I tell them that they shouldn't even touch them with a ten foot pole. It just gives me the creeps to even hear the possibility of Sprint buying T-Mobile.
    Last edited by burgerwars; 02-05-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    Yeah, I'd much rather go back to the days of "competition" where the country was dotted with various carriers, and if you traveled to another city you were lucky if your phone would even roam because you could be certain your local carrier had no coverage there. Those were the days...

There's plenty of competition today. Maybe you should visit these forums. There's companies like Cricket, MetroPCS, Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc. The fact that many people prefer paying higher rates at the Big 2, is their free choice.

I have way more choices for cell service at way better prices than I did five years ago. There's a banner ad at the top of this page advertising unlimited talk & text for $25. Who offered that during your past days of competition?

You're whining about something for no reason.

You should read what you write before you post it because it's contradicting to say the least. In the first paragraph you talk bad about carriers not providing the best of coverage and then in the second paragraph you mention the same type of carriers that don't provide the best of coverage as they are more regional/local. Not to mention that they are not really competition because a few of them are MVNO's so the big two make money off them anyways and the others are so small that Verizon and AT&T would laugh at the fact of thinking of them as competition. AT&T/Verizon have already mentioned that Sprint is not their competition so what makes you think that they don't feel the same about Cricket, MetroPCS, Straight Talk, or Page Plus.

And just like everyone else on a forum I am voicing my opinion, if you don't like it... oh well. There is a reason to bring forward the future monopolies in this country and obviously you're one to sit back and just watch things go sour. I can guarantee you that if there are less major carriers in this country prices will go sky high as AT&T and Verizon are about making money, not about making you happy. LTE will not be cheap. They already want to start tiered pricing packages. They hate net neutrality. Forcing everyone to buy data plans. Need I go on.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    move my main number to prepaid and it won't be T-Mobile (perhaps boost CDMA, but N900 won't work).
    Do that soon. There are reports that clear intends on moving out of the consumer biz, and just wholesaling to Sprint, Comcast, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher68
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

ATT will never be able to buy T-Mobile. The feds aren't going to let it happen. That would be a total monopoly of the GSM network in the US...bad news. It won't happen.
    Why would federal regulators care whether it's GSM or not? If they cared so much about GSM, they wouldn't have allowed CDMA networks to develop...

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Concurred.... And even if they did, AT&T would probably be forced to divest 60% of the network if not more. It doesn't make financial sense for them. On the hand I can see Google making a run for them.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    The day T-Mobile gets aquired by AT&Trash is the day I port out.

Google would be good, they own a bit of clear, and now Nexus One. T-Mobile and Android have had a long and healthy relationship.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: HTC_Touch_Pro2_T7373 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; zh-tw))

Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    Do that soon. There are reports that clear intends on moving out of the consumer biz, and just wholesaling to Sprint, Comcast, etc.

Why would federal regulators care whether it's GSM or not? If they cared so much about GSM, they wouldn't have allowed CDMA networks to develop...
    Too bad Clear doesn't have service in NYC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast