Thread: Nokia Q4 2009: Smartphone market share 40%, and 39% global market share

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2, Galaxy Notes
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit
    To put it simply, Samsung moved 1.5 million smartphones on the 3rd quarter,
    Are you sure this is correct?. Seems kind of low. (given the fact Samsung is the 2nd largest producer and have slew of smartphones in its portfolio incl. android, wm and S60) and compared to Nokia which moved about 17m smartphones in Q3. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the Omnia II model alone sold a couple of millions.

Carrier(s)
    Swisscom, Vodafone,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "Our own converged mobile device volumes, comprising our smartphones and mobile computers, were 20.8 million units in the fourth quarter 2009, compared with 15.1 million units in the fourth quarter 2008 and 16.4 million units in the third quarter 2009. Nokia's share of the converged mobile device market was an estimated 40% in the fourth quarter 2009, up from an estimated 35% in the third quarter 2009. We shipped approximately 4.6 million Nokia Nseries and approximately 6.1 million Nokia Eseries devices during the fourth quarter 2009, up from the combined 8.9 million Nseries and Eseries devices we shipped in the third quarter 2009."

10.1 million Blackberry
    8.7 million Apple iphone
    4.6 million Nokia N series
    6.1 million Nokia E series
    ???? Nokia Maemo
    2 million Motorola
    1.5 million Samsung

NOKIA MOBILE DEVICE VOLUME BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA

(million units) 2009 2008 YoY Change
    Europe 107.0 114.9 -6.9%
    Middle East & Africa 77.6 81.0 -4.2%
    Greater China 72.6 71.3 1.8%
    Asia-Pacific 123.5 134.0 -7.8%
    North America 13.5 15.7 -14.0%
    Latin America 37.6 51.5 -27.0%
    Total 431.8 468.4 -7.8%

Nokia's Mobile Device volume shares is declining everywhere except china

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What you are quoting are volumes, not shares.

The whole mobile/cell phone market was down in volume terms. Nokia performed "only" slightly worse than the market overall (which went down about 7% in volume) as its market share fell by 1% for the whole year to 38%.
    Last edited by Viipottaja; 01-29-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Swisscom, Vodafone,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Viipottaja
    What you are quoting are volumes, not shares.
    [Sarcasm] Volume holds absolutely no scientific metric whatsoever [end/ Sarcasm]

shares or units by volume are not the same as shares or units by market, but im sure you already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Viipottaja
    The whole mobile/cell phone market was down in volume terms. Nokia performed "only" slightly worse than the market overall (which went down about 7% in volume) as its market share fell by 1% for the whole year to 38%.
    [Translation=Non Fanboi] Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin Spin [end/ Translation]

NOKIA MOBILE DEVICE VOLUME BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA

(million units) 2009 2008 YoY Change
    Europe 107.0 114.9 -6.9%
    Middle East & Africa 77.6 81.0 -4.2%
    Greater China 72.6 71.3 1.8%
    Asia-Pacific 123.5 134.0 -7.8%
    North America 13.5 15.7 -14.0%
    Latin America 37.6 51.5 -27.0%
    Total 431.8 468.4 -7.8%

less people are using nokia in what people in this forum like to tout as Nokia's key markets; Such as Europe, middle east, africa, india (asia Pacific), and latin america all of theses "key" nokia markets are seeing their volume drop between 4 and 27% YOY. While other manufactures have an increased share.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2, Galaxy Notes
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ffr

what the heck you are getting at.

well iPhone volume increased by about 15% from q3 to q4 whereas nokia smartphone volume increase by more than 25%. based on your logic iPhone is going down big time.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mib1800
    Are you sure this is correct?. Seems kind of low. (given the fact Samsung is the 2nd largest producer and have slew of smartphones in its portfolio incl. android, wm and S60) and compared to Nokia which moved about 17m smartphones in Q3. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the Omnia II model alone sold a couple of millions.
    1.5 million means for a quarter, not overall for the year. Omnia II has been out for like 3 quarters already. I don't recall them selling 2 million Omnia II however. The 2 million figure I associate with Samsung is how much they sold the Samsung Jet in a fair short amount of time. The Samsung Jet is S8000, while the Omnia II is i8000---they both share the same processor.

Samsung is well behind HTC (4th place) in the smartphone race. It only managed to get fifth recently by nudging out Keitai maker Fujitsu, who makes custom Symbian and Linux smartphones for the Japanese market.

Samsung's troubles on the smartphone market is one of the reasons they're trying Bada, the first phone which might be S8200. Note the use of the "S" which is identified with Samsung's featurephones like the Jet, which is S8000. In contrast "i" would signify a smartphone using Symbian, Windows Mobile and Android. Samsung's touch screen featurephones---they have sold a remarkable 50 million---are edging towards smartphone status. What they need is an app market and an SDK.

As a note however, we're seeing all sorts of new Samsung Androids creeping out of the woodwork --- the i5700 Spica, aka Galaxy Portal which just went on sale in Europe last week; the i6500i Saturn, one of the phones China Unicom plan to sell but got delayed by the Google-China kaboodle; the Galaxy 2, which is Samsung's answer to the Nexus One, with a Snapdragon and 3.7 AMOLED screen, no doubt the same one as the Nexus since Samsung is supplying that too.

I believe the 5th rank for smartphones would probably go with Motorola now.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by joeygambino
    win mobile 6.5 is not that bad. when 7 comes out in 3-4 months, IT Will be a what symbian 4 is to that OS.

HTC are not bad phones neither is WinMo, they have no US support of thier phones but they make awesome devices HD2

HTC HD2 certainly didn't help HTC on the last quarter. US support is only T-Mobile which means limited and T-Mo gets loaded with other smartphones for March like MotoROI (50k presold in Korea!) and HTC Bravo, which is the Nexus One with the Sense UI.

The problem I see with HTC is that they keep making GeekPhones like Nexus One and HD2, and GeekPhones honestly don't sell a lot unless you put a 100 million dollar advertising budget like Verizon did with DROID. Once you have GeekPhone status embedded into the mass consumer mind, you're going to be niched.

HTC is struggling to remove the Geek image with their You ads. So far their phones don't really achieve that much of a mass market appeal like the way Nokia, Apple and RIM does. Mass market appeal has nothing to do with OS superiority and feature set. Although I do think HTC hit a home run with their HTC Hero, Tattoo and Droid Eris---these phones do have a mass market appeal and even Granma can use them.

Don't believe that WinMo 7 will come out in a few months. I suspect the project is in deep trouble based on recent reorganizations that took a major Microsoft official out of the picture.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    FFR, err.. no spin, just simple statistical facts. Global market volume went down by 7%. Nokia's volume went down 7.8%. Nokia's market share therefore down roughly 1%. In fact, Nokia's volumes went down significantly more than the overall global market dip only in NAM and Latin America.

All other manufacturers share the remaining 62%. Most of the gains made by other manufacturers (RIM, Samung, Apple) are from the losses of manufacturers other than Nokia. Mostly SE and Moto I guess. Nokia held its ground but was not able to gain on weakness of SE and Moto.

Not sure why you keep quoting volume numbers, not market share numbers, without accounting for the fact that the whole pie was smaller.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    HTC HD2 certainly didn't help HTC on the last quarter. US support is only T-Mobile which means limited and T-Mo gets loaded with other smartphones for March like MotoROI (50k presold in Korea!) and HTC Bravo, which is the Nexus One with the Sense UI.

The problem I see with HTC is that they keep making GeekPhones like Nexus One and HD2, and GeekPhones honestly don't sell a lot unless you put a 100 million dollar advertising budget like Verizon did with DROID. Once you have GeekPhone status embedded into the mass consumer mind, you're going to be niched.

HTC is struggling to remove the Geek image with their You ads. So far their phones don't really achieve that much of a mass market appeal like the way Nokia, Apple and RIM does. Mass market appeal has nothing to do with OS superiority and feature set. Although I do think HTC hit a home run with their HTC Hero, Tattoo and Droid Eris---these phones do have a mass market appeal and even Granma can use them.

Don't believe that WinMo 7 will come out in a few months. I suspect the project is in deep trouble based on recent reorganizations that took a major Microsoft official out of the picture.
    Would you happen to know what the overall sales were for the hero? Just curious

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

i understand about the geek status thing but i'm seeing it first hand the average non-geek consumer is catching n to what android is all about. Just last week a co-worker came up to me with his new droid to show me how cool it was. Get this, he thought that the street view on google maps was the first phone to ever have that! He said "look i guess someone took pitures of my house". I vaguely explained to him the google car 360 degree camera capturing the whole US. The point is he is the epitome of "average consumer" and i've been seeing ot from a few other people at my work (btw its a large corporate setting of 3000 employees). So i really think google is getting thru with their nexus and verizon droid advertising.

But i guess you are talking more about HTC status not android but even still i have people at work bringing up this "new HTC" company as they say.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Device(s)
    Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    [at&t],
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR

10.1 million Blackberry
    8.7 million Apple iphone
    4.6 million Nokia N series
    6.1 million Nokia E series
    ???? Nokia Maemo
    2 million Motorola
    1.5 million Samsung
    Why did you breakdown Nokia Smartphone Sales? Why not count it all together like you did with Apple and RIM.

We could always twist things or the numbers to look good in our favor.
    "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

Follow me on TWITTER

HOFO FEEDBACK

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapz
    Why did you breakdown Nokia Smartphone Sales? Why not count it all together like you did with Apple and RIM.

We could always twist things or the numbers to look good in our favor.
    ..not to mention only E and N series are listed. There are plenty of S60 devices that don't have either one of those designations.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    this is the real #'s
    smartphones and mobile computers, were 20.8 million units in the fourth quarter 2009
    rim- 10.1
    apple-8.7
    = 18.8 NOKIA STILL sold 2 million more smart phones then rim and apple combined
    Know The Truth and the Truth will set u free.
    John 8:32

Winner of the 3rd Annual Hofies Awards in the catergories of

"Friendliest s60 Hofo'er"-Gold Medal
    "Most helpful S60 Hofo'er" - Silver Medal
    "Most Interesting S60 Blog From a Member"-Silver Medal

FreeBlaxx!!

Device(s)
    Lumia 800, Iphone 4
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH#34
    this is the real #'s
    smartphones and mobile computers, were 20.8 million units in the fourth quarter 2009
    rim- 10.1
    apple-8.7
    = 18.8 NOKIA STILL sold 2 million more smart phones then rim and apple combined
    Sure was impressive from Nokia in the smartphone segment. Interested too see how this evolves if Apple stays the same and SF, Maemo 6 is what Nokia have been talking about.

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Topy
    Sure was impressive from Nokia in the smartphone segment. Interested too see how this evolves if Apple stays the same and SF, Maemo 6 is what Nokia have been talking about.
    It was impressive, but i hope they dont sit and think a change is not needed which is what we are all calling for, although i find the n900 quite impressive, like its pseed power and transitions.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast