Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Droid to Pre - First Impressions

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On The Porch
    Posts
    2,777
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Battery life or lack there of would be a massive deal breaker. I can't imagine how a pre with an 1150 mAh Battery can be just fine.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    471
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, after a couple of days, I have to say that I am really happy with this phone, and I think I may be selling the Droid soon. The only slight issue I have is the battry also, but for me it is not a big deal since I sit at a desk most of the day and it is no big deal for me to plug it in. But if you are a power user who is not near a charger all day, defantly use your trial period to see if it will work for you, because I don't see how a heavy user would be able to get a full day of use based on my testing. Maybe 1.4 will help fix this some more, but I would not hold my breath.

    Otherwise, I love the phone. webOS is a sheer joy to use, and the form factor of the phone is just perfect for me. Also, I don't know if we can mention other sites on here, but I would suggest searching the internet for pre homebrew apps and patches. I got into that last night, and there are alot of things you can do to customize your phone and make it better. I have already added a virtual keybaord, email landscape mode, led notifications, date on the top bar, and battery percent on the top bar. Lots more stuff you can add too, including themes.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    216
    Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catchmyjetta
    Well, after a couple of days, I have to say that I am really happy with this phone, and I think I may be selling the Droid soon. The only slight issue I have is the battry also, but for me it is not a big deal since I sit at a desk most of the day and it is no big deal for me to plug it in. But if you are a power user who is not near a charger all day, defantly use your trial period to see if it will work for you, because I don't see how a heavy user would be able to get a full day of use based on my testing. Maybe 1.4 will help fix this some more, but I would not hold my breath.

    Otherwise, I love the phone. webOS is a sheer joy to use, and the form factor of the phone is just perfect for me. Also, I don't know if we can mention other sites on here, but I would suggest searching the internet for pre homebrew apps and patches. I got into that last night, and there are alot of things you can do to customize your phone and make it better. I have already added a virtual keybaord, email landscape mode, led notifications, date on the top bar, and battery percent on the top bar. Lots more stuff you can add too, including themes.
    Glad to hear you say that (well, except the battery part). I was on the fence between the Droid and Pre, since I prefer the form and OS of the Pre, but build quality and resolution of the Droid. But in the end, my wife liked the Palms better than the Androids, so she cancelled my "tie" and we used the BOGO for Palms. It's on the way, but it seems like now that I've ordered it, I'm seeing (or noticing) more negative Pre comments than before.

    I think I'm most worried about battery life. I'm an average user that gets about three days out of my Curve, so it's sounding like the battery life is going to drive me nuts!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,459
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by benhar
    Glad to hear you say that (well, except the battery part). I was on the fence between the Droid and Pre, since I prefer the form and OS of the Pre, but build quality and resolution of the Droid. But in the end, my wife liked the Palms better than the Androids, so she cancelled my "tie" and we used the BOGO for Palms. It's on the way, but it seems like now that I've ordered it, I'm seeing (or noticing) more negative Pre comments than before.

    I think I'm most worried about battery life. I'm an average user that gets about three days out of my Curve, so it's sounding like the battery life is going to drive me nuts!
    Honestly, nothing out there can even come close to touching a Blackberry when it comes to battery life. If you're expecting the Pre to even sniff the Curve in this regard, you're going to be deeply disappointed.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    216
    Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4394
    Honestly, nothing out there can even come close to touching a Blackberry when it comes to battery life. If you're expecting the Pre to even sniff the Curve in this regard, you're going to be deeply disappointed.
    I certainly wasn't expecting three days. I figured whether I got a Droid or Pre, I'd be charging it every night. I'm just concerned with having to worry about battery life at night after a full day.

    The Curve is a great phone, and I'm going to miss it for certain things like battery life. But I'm tired of the trackball and poor web browsing, and the Curve 2 doesn't seem to be enough of a change to justify another 2 year contract.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,459
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by benhar
    I certainly wasn't expecting three days. I figured whether I got a Droid or Pre, I'd be charging it every night. I'm just concerned with having to worry about battery life at night after a full day.

    The Curve is a great phone, and I'm going to miss it for certain things like battery life. But I'm tired of the trackball and poor web browsing, and the Curve 2 doesn't seem to be enough of a change to justify another 2 year contract.
    I agree completely. Your reasons for wanting to go to a different platform mirror a lot of other members, including myself.

    If that is your concern, it's really going to depend on how much you use the thing throughout the day. For me, once I get through the work day, it's on its last legs.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    580
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I, too, made the switch from the Pre to the Droid as my main phone. I just love the simplicity of the OS. Enabling 'advanced gestures' sealed the deal for me. Right now my only issue has been battery life, but that isn't that bad as I keep a Touchstone at work and have it plugged into my computer when I need it at home.

    edit: thought of another thing. missing the push email from my gmail account, but it's not as if my gmail messages are of life and death urgency.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,459
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Myke3630
    I, too, made the switch from the Pre to the Droid as my main phone. I just love the simplicity of the OS. Enabling 'advanced gestures' sealed the deal for me. Right now my only issue has been battery life, but that isn't that bad as I keep a Touchstone at work and have it plugged into my computer when I need it at home.

    edit: thought of another thing. missing the push email from my gmail account, but it's not as if my gmail messages are of life and death urgency.
    Actually, the Pre does push for Gmail.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    708
    Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4394
    Actually, the Pre does push for Gmail.
    Indeed it does, and very well I have three Gmail accounts (two of which are Google Apps accounts for different domains) on my Pre and the push email is instantaneous.

    Regarding battery life, I took my phone off the Touchstone yesterday at 8 AM, used the hell out of it during the day, and returned home at 9 PM with about 20% remaining. Perfectly acceptable. When I say that it is not an issue, or that it isn't any worse than other smartphones that I've owned, what I mean is that it still fits within the expected pattern of taking it off the charger in the morning and plugging it in at night.

    If you use your phone more than I do (which is difficult to imagine, but certainly possible), then you just get a Touchstone for the office or a charger for your car. The Touchstone is pretty awesome.

    If you are frequently in some stretch of wilderness for days at a time that happens to have a solid Verizon signal, and you need your phone to function as your sole means of communication and GPS navigation for 96+ hour periods, then yeah, the Pre probably isn't for you. Few smartphones, or even phones in general, would work for such a user.

    But for those of us with regular access to electricity, battery life simply isn't a reason to miss out on what I consider to be the very best smartphone on the market. Especially not when Palm has stated that further improvements in this area are happening in the impending 1.4 update. 1.3.5 made a huge difference in battery life in my experience.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On The Porch
    Posts
    2,777
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I didn't really want to, but I ended up at the verizon store for about 45 minutes today to check out the pre plus. webOS was smooth. Liked the cards too. In my short time with the pre, liked pretty much everything about the OS. The keypad was acceptable, however I really didn't care for little lip that surrounds the keys. Touch screen was very responsive. That's about it.

    The 2 pre's they had were not plugged in. In the time I spent with the phone, the battery went from 82 down to 43. That is is a major deal breaker. Both phones, the slider wobbled. I really dislike 2 piece phones or sliders in general. I was hoping the pre would change my mind but all it did was reinforce my opinion that sliders in general aren't that good.

    Lots of plastic used in this phone. Build quality seems average at best.

    The in call volume was barely acceptable to me. I made several calls. While the calls were acceptable, the clarity was just average. The phone seemed to lag ever so slightly in certain areas. It was never consistent either. I was hoping for better.

    That side mounted charging port seems rather odd to me. I would have preferred it to be on the bottom. I wonder how long that little flap that covers the port will stay in place if you charge through that port.

    Overall, less than impressed.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    700
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by readability
    You can do pauses for contacts, just use "T" for soft pauses or "P" for hard pauses. Since "T" is mapped to the number 3, use shift to add it.
    Thanks for the tip, have an issue with the implementation tho'. Dialing with affected contacts works as expected when dialing directly from Contacts, but from the Phone application won't connect with the message that "Verizon Wireless is unable to connect this call" every time. What a PITA...

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    700
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RYOBI
    The in call volume was barely acceptable to me. I made several calls. While the calls were acceptable, the clarity was just average. The phone seemed to lag ever so slightly in certain areas. It was never consistent either. I was hoping for better.

    That side mounted charging port seems rather odd to me. I would have preferred it to be on the bottom. I wonder how long that little flap that covers the port will stay in place if you charge through that port.
    About the call quality, the device I tried in the store wasn't so great - with all of the other devices in the store, the few devices I tried all sucked. Out of the store, however, my device has been stellar for all calls but one. I'm happy with that.

    The flap is a PITA. I forked over for the Touchstone charger, and think Palm designs the flap that way to force some people to consider the TS charger - which worked on me, like a charm...

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On The Porch
    Posts
    2,777
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb
    About the call quality, the device I tried in the store wasn't so great - with all of the other devices in the store, the few devices I tried all sucked. Out of the store, however, my device has been stellar for all calls but one. I'm happy with that.

    The flap is a PITA. I forked over for the Touchstone charger, and think Palm designs the flap that way to force some people to consider the TS charger - which worked on me, like a charm...
    Well, both devices in the store showed full bars. Both devices sounded the same to me. I actually liked the call quality on the pixi better. I absolutely despised the keypad.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    700
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RYOBI
    Well, both devices in the store showed full bars. Both devices sounded the same to me. I actually liked the call quality on the pixi better. I absolutely despised the keypad.
    I'll give you the bars, but I think that bars are just marketing, I'd rather see the signal to noise ratio! The Pre tethered to the display I tried wasn't so hot, didn't try the Pixi. Not being a fan of crappy, tinny voice quality on either end, I am happy so far with the Pre, indoors and outdoors - much better than the device in the store. But, it's working for me and my ears so far, an improvement from the Storm I just chucked.

    I had three dropped calls this afternoon - all to one iPhone 3GS.

    I'm getting stuck on the WebOS management - lack thereof, rather - of PBX extensions - dialing works from Contacts but not from the Phone app for the same number.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    708
    Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    I always dial from Universal Search. Does it work when you pick the number that way?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks