Thread: Layoffs in Thornton, CO

Feedback Score

Layoffs in Thornton, CO

I just met an IT guy I knew for over two years and asked if he was still working at T-Mobile. This dude went to the Customer Pro banquet 5 years in a row and he said he was laid off with an additional 150 people in layoffs in Thornton. While I don't doubt his words, I haven't seen a thing about this in our area.
    Can anyone confirm? If this is true, it's a sad thing. I LOVED working at T-Mobile and can't imagine anyone getting laid off. Sad!!

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Was he a direct T-Mobile employee or contracted help?
    Unplugged Since 1999

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I live that area working for T-Mobile. I haven't heard or read anything.
    T-Mobile
    BlackBerry 8900

Feedback Score

More info on Thornton layoffs?

Someone had written they had not heard anything about this and, to be truthful, I had only heard it from an 8 year full time employee. Just happened to see him on the street, literally, and asked if he was working at T-Mobile and these are his exact words:
    "No, they got rid of me and about 145 reps, 2 managers and 8 coaches. It was tough but I'm kind of glad as I had been there 8 years and if they hadn't kicked me out the door I would have stayed there forever. (As for severance) I got till the end of the month (2 weeks) and I had 100 hours of vacation so I'm just being a bum".
    Now this was a guy who had been a rep, Snr. Rep, trainer, then Coach then moved into the Resource Department and was a Customer Pro in that position for five years running. And that's hard to do as they only had one spot available for the entire company.
    I was with someone who had been fired from T-Mobile (never on time) and I had to ask, "Am I the only one who just quit? Why you guys got to get fired or layed off!".
    This person, the one who worked in Resource, had turned me on to the MDA, the G1 and we talked tech a lot before I left. I have no reason whatsoever to think he mislead me.
    But I am like all the respondents. I have not heard mention of any layoffs.
    I do so much hope not. I loved working at T-Mobile and only check back here a few times a year for tips on new technology and seeing what's happening.
    Hope this is wrong. I really do.

Feedback Score

Final message on Thornton, CO

I think I have the skinny on what happened at my old job and this will be the last words I will write about this situation. In fact, I have no need to write these words at all with one exception: I have, do and still consider so many of them my family. I send diapers to newborns. I give things to co-workers I haven't seen in almost a year. We really became a family but this is the sadness when you get a family torn asunder for reasons unknown. I want to know.
    I just got text messages from three of my former co-workers who are still employed, and one from who is not employed. The gist, though I am paraphrasing the EMPLOYED, is this and these are not my words at all and should not be construed as my opinion:
    "There was no major layoff or big meeting where people lost their jobs. The management just went through and saw those who were least performing and they were released for cause. Since so many reps were let go, for cause, which means no unemployment benefits, there was no need for so many management to oversee them."
    That is the short version.
    Here is the verbatim, anonymous script from a friend who is still employed:
    "The company went on a witchhunt to get rid of any employee that had one single write-up for any reason. That way, they could claim they had never laid off anyone in their history and look good. They set the bar at 2 feet and raised it to 10 and put a blindfold on the jumper. I am out of here".
    That is sad.
    I have nothing more to say about this. I am off to Australia in 2 weeks and don't care to hear about the sadness of what was once a great company.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barndude
    "There was no major layoff or big meeting where people lost their jobs. The management just went through and saw those who were least performing and they were released for cause. Since so many reps were let go, for cause, which means no unemployment benefits, there was no need for so many management to oversee them."
    Being an "under performer" isn't being fired for cause in the eye's of the Unemployment Insurance department. It's sure not in California. If that was the case, every employer could use that excuse on every employee that let go, and never need to be concerned about their unemployment insurance costs.

Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In Colorado Employers are allowed to appeal the UI benefits if they can show there was some documented issues with the terminated employee. This is where we are now. I know this from people that have been denied UI benefits. If the employer is successful they don't have to pay as much into their pool for unemployment Insurance. So now we have these tactics to save the company costs, while the x-employed are treated like dirt swept up and emptied into the gutter. Employers can also claim the employee was not full time if they can show they were under 32 hrs a week. This even though many times, weeks unending, the employee is asked to do this or that which keeps them a couple hours over each day. The schedule shows 32 hours. If you log those extra hours beyond the schedule they will find a reason to put you into a rotten area until you are fed up enough to quit or you stop logging the hours. When its layoff time its actually termination time. We are a pathetic country - this is the rule not the exception. 15 million are still out of work, UI is running out, I see more on the street than ever here in Thornton. I saw a listing for a job that actually said the unemployed need not apply? Not joking, very serious.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrchessreal View Post
    In Colorado Employers are allowed to appeal the UI benefits if they can show there was some documented issues with the terminated employee. This is where we are now. I know this from people that have been denied UI benefits. If the employer is successful they don't have to pay as much into their pool for unemployment Insurance. So now we have these tactics to save the company costs, while the x-employed are treated like dirt swept up and emptied into the gutter. Employers can also claim the employee was not full time if they can show they were under 32 hrs a week. This even though many times, weeks unending, the employee is asked to do this or that which keeps them a couple hours over each day. The schedule shows 32 hours. If you log those extra hours beyond the schedule they will find a reason to put you into a rotten area until you are fed up enough to quit or you stop logging the hours. When its layoff time its actually termination time. We are a pathetic country - this is the rule not the exception. 15 million are still out of work, UI is running out, I see more on the street than ever here in Thornton. I saw a listing for a job that actually said the unemployed need not apply? Not joking, very serious.
    this is a clear side effect of mis-spending by the current/former generation in power and now we're all swimming up to our eyeballs in debt and this is kind of a check and balance thing that's happening now to straighten things out again..

it's getting better, but it's going to take some time, and honestly it's one reason why im just laying off school right now as i do not have any reason to put myself into any more debt before i see where this economy is going and at the same time attempt to get what i have now paid down so i'm not paying off my college until im 50. I am with a secure (as of now) job and company so i'm going to personally work on making a cash nestegg and play with some investments while i can (market has been better for this as of late) and do what i can too help out anyone i know that needs it (have some friends/family that's having a hard time right now, but would do anything for them so helping some of them right now)
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just want to say one more thing. If you are in school you are not in the work force and therefore not counted as unemployed anymore this makes the Urate go down. People that were laid off or terminated and then ran back to school to try to get ahead and take advantage of their misfortune, minimize impact to family etc, do as best you can, the right thing. These people are not counted in the Unemployment rate calculations. The URate was never meant as a gauge for how bad people have it. It is a tool to determine whether a recession is still affecting the economy. Officially the recession is over when the unemployment rate begins to lower which indicates job growth. This tool was made in the days when people had pensions, severance packages, and UI was considered a bridge to help those that were laid off make ends meet. But, now we are corporate trash stinking up the country.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm sorry to hear of the lost jobs. I live next to Thornton and am curious where T-Mobile is located. Did they take over the old USWest "white" building? That place has looked deserted for a decade or more.

Feedback Score
    If you have worked at T-Mobile for 5 years or longer "look out" because they'll find a way to get rid of you for BS. Literally BS. There's no better time than now for a UNION to come in and help protect the integrity of employees with tenure.